Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying my first Touareg in a few days, a 04 V8. I keep researching common issues and the drive shaft issue keeps popping up. Most of the threads I read are from like 2006. Is there an aftermarket solution to this problem? I can do the mechanical work myself such as replacing the actual shaft. I have access to a lift etc.

Is it possible to replace or rebuild the bearing or does a new shaft need to be purchased? Any links to companies that have solutions to this problem would be appreciated. I am very new to VW. Also is this something that usually rears it's head at a certain mileage? This touareg has about 112,000 miles on it and it does not have any vibrations etc. So I am just planning for any possible repairs I might have to do. Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
20,262 Posts
Typically the bearing rubber lets go at 5 years or 60K, whichever comes first.

Some go sooner, some go later, and some don't go at all.

Many of threads on here on the drive shaft issue tell you how to fix it in various ways ranging from $0 to $2,000.

Use the Search function.

·
Registered
20,262 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.