Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced the valve body on my 04 touareg with a reman unit b/c I was having a hard 4th to 5th gear clunk. Installed everything correctly and filled with OEM ATF fluid per normal fill procedure. Wen't to start it and it will not move in any gear..Forward or reverse. It shifts into the gears fine and displays the correct gear on the instrument cluster but car will not move. So I swapped my old valve body back in and it still will not move!! What am I missing?? I aligned the shift selector arm exactly as it was when the original valve body was removed. Verified all connectors are in the correct place. I am stumped.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hmm, do you have an OBD scanner or VCDS to look into it a bit further?

Sounds line the latch not releasing, it's a fairly easy and cheap replacement I believe.

Pete

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have VCDS.. I actually just tried again and it will slowly start moving, but only at around 3000 Rpms..Almost like it is in low range but not exactly. What do you mean by latch?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Just replaced the valve body on my 04 touareg with a reman unit b/c
Were the part numbers there same? Was the donor transmission code the same as yours? Or was it just a valve body for a Touareg?

Installed everything correctly and filled with OEM ATF fluid per normal fill procedure.
Did that also include paying attention to proper fill temperature? What exactly was the OEM ATF fluid's designation?

Verified all connectors are in the correct place. I am stumped.
Any fault codes present? If not, what device was used to read them?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have VCDS.. I actually just tried again and it will slowly start moving, but only at around 3000 Rpms..Almost like it is in low range but not exactly. What do you mean by latch?
Sorry, I got my topics mixed up, ignore that one please.

Pete

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Were the part numbers there same? Was the donor transmission code the same as yours? Or was it just a valve body for a Touareg?

Did that also include paying attention to proper fill temperature? What exactly was the OEM ATF fluid's designation?

Any fault codes present? If not, what device was used to read them?
Not a new transmission, just the valve body. And the replacement valve body should be interchangeable from all 04-12 v6 & v8 models. And it shouldnt make a difference now since at the moment I have my original valve body back in that worked (except for the harsh 4th to 5th gear clunk) prior to me removing it.

I filled it up until fluid ran out of the fill hole, started engine, ran it through gears (reverse & drive), let temp get up to 30 deg via vcds. Filled fluid again until fluid comes out of fill hole.

Using VCDS, only fault code is for tiptronic switch malfunction, but I have had this fault for years. It is a bad multifunction switch I believe, but does not effect drivability.

·
Registered
177 Posts
A stab in the dark here, is there a fluid bleeding process for transmission/torque convertor required perhaps with VCDS?

Pete

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE: Weirdly just started it back up after sitting for 30 mins and it started moving..Seems very strange to me. Possibly just an air bubble in the system. Now I wonder if that is what happened with the reman valve body..Looks like I am going to be swapping valve bodies again for the 3rd time in 24 hrs tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Good luck, let us know if you got it sorted. You may have the same air bubble issue again with the new unit back on so persevere.

Pete

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
That is a mystery so far.

The only thing I can think of is the o-ring that goes onto the trans filter needs to be double checked. We have had people have terrible problems with that o-ring.

Hint: if you leave the old o-ring installed, the system will not work with 2 o-rings.

Hint: if you leave off the o-ring, the system will not work without one.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Not a new transmission, just the valve body.
I got that part, but asked about the transmission code, because valve bodies are not interchangeable between different transmission codes, even though they're all of the same type. (Well, some are, but generally they're not.)

And the replacement valve body should be interchangeable from all 04-12 v6 & v8 models.
That's a patently false information. The determinant factor is NOT the engine layout, but the transmission (code). Also '11 and '12 v6's and v8's don't even have the same type of transmission as '03-'10 models. The latter have the 6-speed Aisin Warner TR-60SN (09D), and the former the 8-speed Aisin Warner TR-80SD (or TR-82SD for the hybrid), with the code 0C8.

And it shouldnt make a difference now since at the moment I have my original valve body back in that worked (except for the harsh 4th to 5th gear clunk) prior to me removing it.
Yes, but in the meantime your (possibly) wrong valve body could have possibly damaged the clutch discs, or damaged the transmission some other way.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I got that part, but asked about the transmission code, because valve bodies are not interchangeable between different transmission codes, even though they're all of the same type. (Well, some are, but generally they're not.)

That's a patently false information. The determinant factor is NOT the engine layout, but the transmission (code). Also '11 and '12 v6's and v8's don't even have the same type of transmission as '03-'10 models. The latter have the 6-speed Aisin Warner TR-60SN (09D), and the former the 8-speed Aisin Warner TR-80SD (or TR-82SD for the hybrid), with the code 0C8.

Yes, but in the meantime your (possibly) wrong valve body could have possibly damaged the clutch discs, or damaged the transmission some other way.
The transmission is a 09D. The valve body I purchased is for a 09D transmission. I read several threads and according to user Revmax who rebuilds valve bodies, or at least he used to, I should have the correct valve body. See this thread for reference. Valve Body Help - 2004 T-reg Exact same thing I have. My original valve body is like the OP's in this post and the reman one I purchased is like the OP's in this thread. I also dont believe anything is damaged with clutch discs or transmission b/c after my last post yesterday after the truck started moving. I took it for a drive and with my original valve body back in it was driving like it has been before touching the transmission in anyway.

I was incorrect about the years. Mine is a 6 speed 09D Aisin Warner transmission.

I reinstalled my "New" reman valve body this morning. And I at least got the car to move but it is still having issues (need to give high rpms to move). But I am also low on transmission fluid. I lost alot by swapping valve bodies back and forth and dont have enough. So I ordered some more and when I receive it I will fill to correct level and report back.

·
Registered
844 Posts
The transmission is a 09D. The valve body I purchased is for a 09D transmission.
As explained already twice, and now for the third time: this means nothing, they're all 09Ds, yet, there are several different valve bodies in them, depending on the transmission code. You can find a partial - still lengthy - list of different valve bodies for different - yet all 09D Touareg - transmission codes here: converter; valve body; for 6-speed automatic gearb... Touareg (TOUA) 2008 year Volkswagen EUROPA 321060

I read several threads and according to user Revmax who rebuilds valve bodies, or at least he used to, I should have the correct valve body.
Even if assume this information to be true, your new valve body still could be the culprit, because it could just not working properly (for whatever reason) or having been damaged in transit, or because a mistake was made during it's assembly, or.... or... or.... Not saying it is, just that you can't exclude that, especially that the valve body part numbers or labels are now confirmed not to be the same.

See this thread for reference. Valve Body Help - 2004 T-reg Exact same thing I have. My original valve body is like the OP's in this post and the reman one I purchased is like the OP's in this thread.
And they all had problems with it. Yet you seem to insist on the valve body difference not being the possible cause of your problems. Also despite the thread not showing any proof that the complainers' problems were ever resolved, AND that they were resolved without for ex. Revmax exchanging their valve bodies for a different, proper one, or at least making a "small adjustment" to them which was mentioned in the thread.

I also dont believe anything is damaged with clutch discs or transmission b/c after my last post yesterday after the truck started moving. I took it for a drive and with my original valve body back in it was driving like it has been before touching the transmission in anyway.
Again, this means nothing. For ex. if the new valve body damaged your clutch discs, there could have been a lot of friction material accumulated both on the discs' surfaces and also in the transmission fluid, which then after putting back the old and proper valve body, could have been gradually dislocated and then filtered out by the transmission thinner and the magnets, thus restoring the functionality of the transmission - but with the clutch discs now having worn down a lot and the new valve body is still being a wrong one for your particular tranmission, or just not working properly for whatever reason.

Again, I'm not saying this is definitely what happened, because we just don't have enough data, just that at this point you just can't know, and that all the observations up until this point not only can not exclude the new valve body being wrong and the culprit, but actually point towards that being the case. That said it could very well be that the new valve body is mechanically actually a good fit (even though we can't confirm that at this point), and some other mistake was made during assembly or refill, or some other problem was causing your issue, and we possibly won't ever find out what it was.

You could only confirm either one of these theories or cases by for ex. inspecting the fluid and seeing proof for excess wear, and/or by putting back the new valve body again and seeing whether the problem returns (assuming you do not make a/another mistake with the assembly or fill procedure).

I reinstalled my "New" reman valve body this morning. And I at least got the car to move but it is still having issues (need to give high rpms to move). But I am also low on transmission fluid. I lost alot by swapping valve bodies back and forth and dont have enough. So I ordered some more and when I receive it I will fill to correct level and report back.
Can't await.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE: Got more trans fluid in today. Filled it per Bentley procedure as I did initially. Took about another 2 quarts. Put it in gear and it started to move. Still had to rev the rpms a bit high at first, 2500 or so, then it kind of jerked into gear. Took it for a test drive and it went through all 6 gears with little issue. Was a bit hesitant going into some gears for the first few minutes, I'm assuming there was air in the system, but after a 10 minute drive it goes through all gears and shifts perfectly smooth throughout. So my initial issue was fixed with the reman valve body.

Also for future reference for anyone else who encounters this. I spoke with the company I bought the reman valve body from and they stated they have sold 100s of touareg valve bodies and never ask customers for transmission codes, and all valve bodies from 04-11 are all interchangeable regardless of transmission code.(as long as they are 6 speed 09D transmissions) The person I spoke with was actually the tech who rebuilds them and he said the one he sent me was from a 07 originally. Mine is a 04. So it seems like my initial issue when I first installed the reman valve body and the truck wouldn't move was that it just needed some higher rpms to get any air bubbles out of the system. (y)

·
Registered
844 Posts
all valve bodies from 04-11 are all interchangeable regardless of transmission code.(as long as they are 6 speed 09D transmissions)
We know this information to be patently false, because
1. initial versions of these transmission had a few extra pressure sensors that were removed in later (2006+) versions , and because
2. revmax himself/itself has confirmed the V10 valve body being "totally different" from others

That's also the reason why Revmax has 4 different options for requesting a replacement valve body for AW TR-60SN 09D transmissions - obviously because there are at least 4 different distinct versions of the valve body, that are not interchangeable with each other. See picture below!

But hey, as long as yours is working, this doesn't matter, because you got lucky! I'm glad for you. :)

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Total of 4 versions is correct.

You have the V6/V8 version which has a different backing plate than the V10 Version.

Then the 2004-05 had two extra pressure sensors vs the later models that did not have them.

If you swap the backing plate, you can turn one version into the other.

The pressure sensor models will work in later years but the two sensors will not be connected.

You can make a 2004 and 05 model use the later valve body (without pressure sensors) but you have to use a 2006 TCM (transmission controller module).

Clear as mud?

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
I'll say after replacing the reman valve body for my 2004 V10 from RevMax last weekend, the fluid refill process seems unusual to have to leave the filler plug out with the car running, but if you don't, and you check it at temp but not with the engine running, you will underfill. The engine must be running so the ATF pump is running and keeping the fluid circulating. I bet your entire problem was insufficient ATF, not bubbles or anything else.

Nancy

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll say after replacing the reman valve body for my 2004 V10 from RevMax last weekend, the fluid refill process seems unusual to have to leave the filler plug out with the car running, but if you don't, and you check it at temp but not with the engine running, you will underfill. The engine must be running so the ATF pump is running and keeping the fluid circulating. I bet your entire problem was insufficient ATF, not bubbles or anything else.

Nancy
Youre correct, but I don't believe that was my problem. I used the correct fill process from the start. Which was this.

Make sure vehicle is level

Fill transmission through fill hole until fluid starts to leak out of fill hole

Start engine, shift into Reverse and Drive and back to Park and let transmission fluid get to 30 deg C via VCDS

Fill fluid again into fill hole until fluid leaks out of fill

Test drive

After doing this I was not able to get the car to move initially.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Total of 4 versions is correct.

You have the V6/V8 version which has a different backing plate than the V10 Version.

Then the 2004-05 had two extra pressure sensors vs the later models that did not have them.

If you swap the backing plate, you can turn one version into the other.

The pressure sensor models will work in later years but the two sensors will not be connected.

You can make a 2004 and 05 model use the later valve body (without pressure sensors) but you have to use a 2006 TCM (transmission controller module).

Clear as mud?
I am 100% aware that there are different part #'s and different versions of valve bodies from year to year. All I can say is I was sent a remaned valve body that was supposedly from an 07 and I have an 04 with a HAU transmission. And the supposed 07 valve body works perfect in my 04 HAU with 04 TCU.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts