Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was continuing my never-ending search for closure on why so many 04 and 05 Touaregs and Cayennes are valve body nightmares. Over the years there have been many great theories from oil on the wires to faulty thermostats on the cooler to the need for "TCM" flashes or even just a good old reset of the adaptive shifting system.

The only real fix seemed to be a VB rebuild by a reputable transmission shop like RevMax or the likes.

Yesterday I wandered onto this:

http://vwts.ru/vw_doc2/trans/09d/atsg_09d_eng.pdf

Maybe old news for some but page 103 clearly details the change that was made to the VBs in "early 2005". This is not a minor change but several changes to the valve body as well as some components. Unless VW and Aisin Warner were just tinkering there must have been good reason for re-working the VBs on the VW 09D transmission.

This explains why the issues seem to mostly go away after 2005. This also explains why the owners who received entire new transmission never had a further issue but many, like me, who only received a new "04" style VB never got a resolve to the issue.

Frustrating really !!!!!! :mad:

·
Registered
700 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What year and month was your 06 built? Could it be an early 2005 build? Also, do your symptoms include shifts hard enough to twist your pilot shaft right off?

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
What year and month was your 06 built? Could it be an early 2005 build? Also, do your symptoms include shifts hard enough to twist your pilot shaft right off?
Built March 06
No mine are very mild as I said just the occasional rough down shift when hot.

regards
Drag

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are all sorts of issues on the AW transmissions and the Jetta version seems to have its own problems as well. I have read many stories of many years of Touareg shifting "poorly" so I think that the changes made to the VB would have yielded great improvements but maybe not fixed to perfection. How many miles / kms on your 06 and have you done any repairs or fluid changes to the transmission?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is also one theory out there that the thermovalve on the cooling radiator may fail. If yours only acts up when it is hot maybe that is suspect? If the valve is not opening your fluid will not cool and may be damaged.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
There is also one theory out there that the thermovalve on the cooling radiator may fail. If yours only acts up when it is hot maybe that is suspect? If the valve is not opening your fluid will not cool and may be damaged.
I have done a full service to my transmission and replaced the fluid after about 30,000kms again due a leaking pan gasket.
My fluid temp remains very constant at about 80 deg c from memory even when towing my 2.7t van as monitored by VCDS

regards
Drag

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have mild symptoms on my '07. In temps around freezing the shift from 2 to 3 will flare for about the first mile or two of driving. Occasionally when very hot I will get a harsh downshift. The harsh downshift happens perhaps once every 10,000 miles, the flare is consistent.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It will be interesting if anyone with an mid 05 or later build has experienced the 1st to 2nd or 6th to 5th harsh shift.

Drag, was your tow hitch factory installed? Was there a change to a settings in your ECU to indicate that the vehicle would be towing? I am not sure but I think that I read that an ECU setting needed to be changed. Pehaps that was just to activate the factory electrical connection only.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I have read many stories of many years of Touareg shifting "poorly"
Some of these could well be down to the fact most owners don't know they can reset their gearbox back to factory settings in less than 20 seconds.

Nor do they know that they should do this from time to time and especially so if their driving style, or their type of journey, or the main driver of the car changes.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Agreed. But we need to separate poor shift performance from the "just got rear ended" type of hard shift. I would like to hear from 06 and up owners that have had that degree of hard shifting.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hate to kill your theory but the issue is just as prevalent on 06+ trucks... Many just don't have the mileage yet to induce the problems... We do a bunch of 06+ Touaregs and Cayennes....

Aisin did not change anything in regards to solenoid design until 2009MY. They never changed the casting or valve design either to fix the other issues such as 5-4 hard kick down....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh well, it was a reasonable theory. :(

So, what are the symptoms of failed pressure switches? Are they replaced by default when a dealer replaces a VB? Could failed pressure switches cause the hard 1st to 2nd shift?

Darren

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK Thanks Revmax.

It sounds like the only option is to send the VB for a proper rebuild at at a shop like yours. The VB in my 09D has less than 10k kms on it. Is there as possibility that I could have you rebuilt the VB and still have the same issues or is your fix 100% successful?

Thanks

Darren

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Transmission sound post-new valve body from dealer

I uploaded a video to YouTube that demonstrates the bad sound the my transmission makes.

This sound started happening after the dealership changed the valve body under warranty. The harsh shifts are fewer and farer between, however, this sound had been present ever since the change.

We drove the Touareg like this for 5,000 km or so and then parked it for the last couple of years. It has been started regularly and taken out for a short drive on occasion.

Any transmission pros that recognizes the noise. It is very pronounced when the engine is switched off at the end of the 37 second video.

Thanks for listening.

Darren :confused:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts