Club Touareg Forum banner

Colorado Touareg Rally (Alpine Loop) - July 19-24

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  aircooled 
#1 ·
OK folks, it time that we do a roll call to see who is still planning on coming to join our Touareg rally this summer. It will be in the middle of the week of July 19-24 to allow extra travel time to and from the event.

Here is the itinerary as it stands so far:

Day 1. Meet in and depart from Lake City at some reasonable time on morning
of Tuesday, July 20th ... this would allow travelers to stay in a variety of
places (probably Lake City or Gunnison) the night before. Travel over
Engineer Pass together (at least as far as Cinnamon Pass turn-off). Give
folks option of camping out overnight somewhere on West side of pass (Animas
Forks or beyond) ... motel in Silverton (not much) ... or motel in Ouray
(better).

Day 2. Meet Wednesday morning for a variety of short side trips out of the
Silverton area. Camp or Motel again that night ... maybe after a "group
dinner" somewhere near.

Day 3. Meet Thursday morning to travel over Cinnamon Pass (or re-Engineer)
back to Lake City together. Arrive in time for folks to have a choice of
East side overnight stops.

Of course there are plenty of things to do in the area and on the way to the area. Unfortunately, the idea of having an off-road clinic before hand is dead. I could never get the off-road park on the phone to hash out the details.

Instead, for those coming from the east, I was thinking about punching into the mountains near Walsenberg and four-wheeling into the Sand Dunes National Monument area before hitting the road towards Lake City. If there is interest, I will gladly post all relevant information about that section of the drive.

Please give a reply here to mark your confirmation. We are trying to keep the event near 15 vehicles max. If you have communicated with us in the past, you are already guaranteed a spot.

Feel free to leave a message here, but the quickest way to get in touch with me is to IM me.

Hope to see you there!

See less See more
#2 ·
Specifics on where to stay each night would be cool :)

1st to reply? DAMN!!! I know folks are busy, but seems Vortex is getting all the responses here.

Still in here, got all the maps for getting there and back.

See ya all there!

Still not decided on Camping or hoteling. Two young girls and the wife, so camping would be a challange, but not impossible.

Any suggestions on hotels would be great.

Thanks,
Eric

#3 ·
Not too sure about the Lake City side as it is very 'small town'. There are several place to get a cabin, or event stay at a B&B.

On the Ouray side, I would stay at the China Clipper B&B. It is a NICE place and I have stayed there before. I won't stay there on this trip because we will have our dog with us.

My plan is: camp the first night (19th) above Lake San Cristobal at one of the campgrounds there.

I expect that our Four Wheeling adventures will take us over to the Ouray side. Unless you want to do along haul back to Lake City BACK over the pass, I would stay there for the night. That then opens up several different options for four wheeling on Wednesday, like heading to Telluride over Imogene pass or Black Bear.

#4 ·
Last Call! I am leaving on Monday morning to head to Lake City. You are welcome to join us, even if you have not previously said so.

Email me: vwvortex at avalonsystem dot net

See everyone there!

#5 ·
How was the trip

Aircooled,

Just wanted to see how your trip went and how the Treg held up. Any photos? Sorry I couldn't make it...had too much work. Always up for some day trips on the Front Range.

Regards,

Jim C.

Black V8, Air Susp., Locking Diff, skid plates etc.

#6 ·
The trip whet VERY well. We did over 200 trail miles in as little as three days. Our trips took us from Lake City to Ouray to Telluride to Silverton and back to Lake City using a variety of passes.

I ended up slicing my front left sidewall on a very sharp rock. Thank god for the full size spare. Another hit his transmission cross-member on a rock and bent it back about an inch.

In all, we had a total of seven Touareg's on the first day, five and the second, and four for most of day three.

Tons of pictures of the event are here:
http://www.avalonsystems.net/gallery/2004-ColoradoTouaregRally

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.