Club Touareg Forums

Club Touareg Forums (https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/)
-   Gasoline Engine, Electric Hybrid and Powertrain | V6, V8, W12, FSI (https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f92/)
-   -   High and Rough Idle 2008 VR6 now popping? (https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f92/high-and-rough-idle-2008-vr6-now-popping-62662.html)

terrywood02 09-23-2011 05:32 AM

High and Rough Idle 2008 VR6 now popping?

My VR6 has always had the standard rough idle for 20-30 seconds, usually idling around 1200, then dropping to 800 and smoothing out.

In the last week, the rough idle has starting to have some loud popping and slapping sounds assoiciated with it. It doesnt sound like engine internals, but it still very concerning.

And ideas?

Plugs were replaced at 40,000 now at 50,0000
Oil change 5200 miles ago, oil is dead on the top line warm
Ran through a tank of gas and refueled. Brand new 91 octane

Once its been run for a few minutes, its fine and is OK for about 10 hours.
The voltage has been sitting right around 12 or lower before starting up.

wvicary 09-23-2011 10:32 AM

No check engine light?

terrywood02 09-23-2011 11:36 AM

None. However I just found what's attached. There is a piece on the front of the engine and it's missing an electrical cable... Anyone know if should be this way???

rarod58 09-23-2011 06:45 PM

Crankcase breather valve. It's the round valve on the top left hand corner of the engine (facing the engine). Symptoms you describe point to it. Try this, there is a valve stem/opening on the backside of the valve (facing the firewall) cover with your finger to prevent suction, the idle should stabilize.

If this is the culprit, part can easily be replaced, no special tool needed. I'm not sure but I think the part comes to around $152. All you need is a screw driver to pry the hose off the valve cover, loosen the breather valve tabs, pull up and replace. Here's a page with instructions and diagrams. Good Luck!

https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f6...r-22405-2.html

markluke 09-23-2011 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terrywood02 (Post 300159)
My VR6 has always had the standard rough idle for 20-30 seconds, usually idling around 1200, then dropping to 800 and smoothing out.

In the last week, the rough idle has starting to have some loud popping and slapping sounds assoiciated with it. It doesnt sound like engine internals, but it still very concerning.

And ideas?

Plugs were replaced at 40,000 now at 50,0000
Oil change 5200 miles ago, oil is dead on the top line warm
Ran through a tank of gas and refueled. Brand new 91 octane

Once its been run for a few minutes, its fine and is OK for about 10 hours.
The voltage has been sitting right around 12 or lower before starting up.

There was no harm replacing the plugs at 40K but as a heads-up on the 3.6 VR6 the interval is 60K miles.

terrywood02 09-25-2011 05:40 PM

Very aware that it's due at 60k but truck was new to me at 36k. Great way to check for engine issues on a used car!

Also, I have a 3.6l VR6 which doesnt have the same breather. However, I think I solved the issue.

A. Engine is registering misfires during cold idle on 1 2 and 3
B. Swapped coils from 1-2-3 and 4-5-6
C. Misfires are now hitting on 4-5-6

Checked coils, all fall into the recall and were never swapped!

Also, during testing I checked the battery, it was putting out 10.2 volts under load prior to turning over engine. New battery in and misfires are much much less. Going in on 10-4 for new coils.

wvicary 09-25-2011 08:05 PM

If you have a misfire you should have a check engine light within seconds. Do not drive the vehicle until you get the misfires sorted.

terrywood02 09-25-2011 08:10 PM

Luckily this is not your traditional misfire. The ECU detects a misfire as a incomplete fire or a hard miss. A hard miss means the cylinder did not fire. Incomplete means it did not fully fore or
Fired late. A hard miss will trigger engine light. A late fire will be shown in misfire counts temporarily.

At least that's my userstanding based on my work with the last 4 VWs I owned

terrywood02 09-29-2011 08:26 AM

Im starting to think it may actually be the breather. I pulled the hose off feeding to the intake off to check for oil and it is saturated. This leads me to think the full vaccume of the intake is being pulled through this line and the breather isn't regulating it until it warms up slightly. This would lead to a VERY rough idle and misses in a severe case.

Going to let the dealer know about the oil in the line and my concerns. Hopefully they will listen!

terrywood02 09-29-2011 03:32 PM

Rarod wins the Internet today. Got back to my Touareg today after driving the wife's Golf. Breather pipe is SOAKED in oil. I removed the breather pipe, let it sit a few minutes then reconnected and started the truck. 0 misfires, sat down right to 720 rpms. Killed truck and tries to restart without venting crankcase with engine cold, boom, popping, snorting and 1200 rpms. Tried venting the crankcase again, and again success!

Now its down to convincing the dealer, but they are used to me going in and "requesting" a specific repair under warranty.