Club Touareg Forums

Club Touareg Forums (https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/)
-   Engine, Transmission and Exhaust (https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f95/)
-   -   DPF levels and regeneration (https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f95/dpf-levels-and-regeneration-286779.html)

Singh 01-15-2019 11:22 PM

DPF levels and regeneration

1 Attachment(s)
With 26000 kms on my v8tdi now(my15) and a mates experience of going into limp mode due to clogged dpf at 50000kms it got me thinking what the soot and ash levels in my Touareg were.

So I ran a scan and the advanced measuring revealed the following.
This is after nearly 3.5yrs of ownership of a new Touareg with most of my driving around town and occasional freeway runs- once in few weeks.
I have never noticed a regeneration occurring over the years but the scan reveals it apparently happened recently.

Interested to know what levels of soot and ash others have and if anyone has noticed a regen.
In my mates case he was going interstate, had driven more than 500kms when then light came on and engine went into limp mode- had to be taken to a dealer for a forced burn. His use has been mostly around town until this trip.
So, what has your experience been and what readings do you have on your dpf?

nickyt 01-16-2019 07:25 AM

My understanding is that you will not get a complete burn if you run it always in town. So, this is probably what caused the eventual clog.

If you do not have a VCDS, it would be best to take take the vehicle for a minimum of a one hour long non-stop drive at least once every six months. That should give the system a chance to burn off properly.

Better yet, stop being cheap and buy a VCDS. Then post your driving style and your vcds scan to this thread.

Sigh has a great idea to collect data on this issue. The knowledge will help all the TDI owners take better care of their vehicles.

chewblekka 01-16-2019 08:24 AM

I'm glad I deleted my DPF/SCR system, I don't have to worry about any of this bollocks.

seafarer28 01-16-2019 02:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's some VCDS DPF data taken from my 2008 3.0Tdi

(If you look at the Adobe viewer 2 page view option it will make more sense)

TonyB

Singh 01-16-2019 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickyt (Post 2030379)
My understanding is that you will not get a complete burn if you run it always in town. So, this is probably what caused the eventual clog.

If you do not have a VCDS, it would be best to take take the vehicle for a minimum of a one hour long non-stop drive at least once every six months. That should give the system a chance to burn off properly.

Well the confusing part is that he got his dpf clogged after 500kms of freeway driving.
Preceeding that was city driving mostly but one would think the freeway drive would help do a regen.

Would be good to hear from as many on their readings and experience.
Reading from mine doesnt look too bad given the split between city and freeway (much less)

Singh 01-16-2019 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seafarer28 (Post 2030481)
Here's some VCDS DPF data taken from my 2008 3.0Tdi

(If you look at the Adobe viewer 2 page view option it will make more sense)

TonyB

Thanks Tony

Big drop in the last two readings! Especially the Ash.
That cant be just from a regen? Did you get it professionally cleaned?

seafarer28 01-17-2019 01:58 PM

Hi Singh,

Good pick up, the last reading is from my "new" '08 with 100K kms on the odo, all the other readings came from my previous one which had 220K on disposal in 03/2018, no maintenance ever done to DPF.

TonyB

nickyt 01-17-2019 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Singh (Post 2030567)
Well the confusing part is that he got his dpf clogged after 500kms of freeway driving.
Preceeding that was city driving mostly but one would think the freeway drive would help do a regen.

Yes, a long drive on a heavily loaded system can result in a trip to the dealer.

We need to find the VW theory guide on DPF to explain this. It has been a while since I read it, but basically the safety system kicked in to prevent an automatic burn.

This should be close to what happened. Read the theory guide if you want to get it 100% correct.

The system does not want the ash level to go over a certain percentage. If you do a lot of in town driving, you can go over that level.

All is not lost at that point, the system will still try to initiate a burn. A long highway trip is perfect and the burn is started. But, the computer monitors the burn temperature. The more ash you have to burn, the hotter the burn.

Once you hit a certain temperature, the system will shut down the burn.

All is still not lost. You are on a long highway drive and the system will cool down and a second burn will be attempted.

If this burns gets too hot, ie too much ash, this burn too will be aborted.

After a few burns (forget the exact number) the system will set a fault and no longer attempt to do anything.

At this point, you are supposed to take the vehicle to the dealer since you have a fault. The dealer computer will instruct the dealer to do on forced burn (forced regeneration) under controlled conditions. Not inside, not near any grass or vegetation, preferably parked over concrete.

If it is successful, you get the car back. If it fails, you get to purchase new exhaust parts.

nickyt 01-17-2019 09:07 PM

Googled it just for the fun of it. Note the part in bold. >:)

Quote:

Regeneration while Standing/Idle

Prerequisites (General):

Ignition ON
Engine ON (Idle)
Fuel Tank at least 1/4 full
Transmission in Neutral/Park
Parking Brake engaged
Coolant Temperature above 70 C (see MVB 002.4)
Particle Filter Load below Specification (see MVB 108.2/3 -or- 241.2/3 VCDS should give the specified values)

If the Particle Filter Load is above Specification the Particle Filter needs to be replaced since the car may burn down when regenerating.

Power Consumers ON (Light, Seat Heating, Front/Rear Window Heater, Climate Control)
Engine Hood Closed

Singh 01-17-2019 10:30 PM

[QUOTE=nickyt;2030705
We need to find the VW theory guide on DPF to explain this. It has been a while since I read it, but basically the safety system kicked in to prevent an automatic burn.

The system does not want the ash level to go over a certain percentage. If you do a lot of in town driving, you can go over that level.

u have to burn, the hotter the burn.

Once you hit a certain temperature, the system will shut down the burn.

All is still not lost. You are on a long highway drive and the system will cool down and a second burn will be attempted.

If this burns gets too hot, ie too much ash, this burn too will be

If it is successful, you get the car back. If it fails, you get to purchase new exhaust parts.[/QUOTE]
Hi Nickyt,
Interesting, i am keen to get my hands on the theory/ details of dpf operation and regen, where can we find this?

Also, i thought its the soot that the regen burns and not the ash?
Ash, which is the result of dpf regens ie the burning of soot collected over time.
and ash cant be burnt, hence dpf’s have a life?