Club Touareg Forum banner

V8 17" vs 18" rims for snow

4K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  karlaudi 
#1 ·
Guys,

I know that a 17" Canyon rim will fit a 2005 V8 with the standard 330mm rotors. We all agree that a 235 is better than 255 in the snow. Logically, one would go to a 235/65/17 size vs standard 255/55/18 rim on the V8. The issue is that the load rating on any 235/65/17 tires is max. 108. The minimum for the V8 is 109. I am not towing anything in the snow, but not certain if I should go to a 108 load. I know that many tires shops will not even install anything below the suggested rating. How do you feel about this on the V8?

#2 ·
I live at 8500'/2500m altitude. Most of the tire shops here are in the city 20 miles away and around 6000'/1800m. When shopping for winter tires there, they say "oh, you need studded tires where you live". Then they find out none have the 109 rating and won't sell me tires nor mount them. Truly a problem.

I wound up buying tires from tirerack.com and found a sympathetic local shop to mount/balance the tires for me. US$64 in cash does the trick. :wink2: I think Pirelli quit making the tires I use. This year is the last year the ones I have will work. The front left is missing about 20 studs due to me doing donuts last year. :) Gotta find something new.

Good luck!

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies. FYI I am looking for non-studded tires. My concern is not actually finding a shop to mount the tires, rather from a safety standpoint. I buy most of my tires on sale from DiscountTire direct and have a local shop mount the tire and I install them myself (reason proper torque & use of anti-seize paste on backing/ shops do a sloppy job).

In the summers I do some heavy towing and have towed 7k cross country with the V8. That said, normally I don't like to go under the specs regarding load rating 108 vs 109, but that is so darn close. Also, the prices on 17" tires is much better. I was actually looking at some 235/65/17 Blizzak or Latitute X-ICE X12 (both 108 rating vs 109 should be for the V8). Is the 108 load fine for the V8 snow tires?

#5 ·
<snip>Is the 108 load fine for the V8 snow tires?
I can't fully say since I'm not an engineer of any ilk. All I can say is that I've run 108-rated tires (Pirelli studded Winter Carving Edge's) in 235/56/17 size for 6 years. They typically get mounted in October and pulled around mid April. Touch wood but I've not had a failure yet.

I don't drive at high speeds with them but I have towed our #3500 trailer one time - about 60 miles each way - with no observed problems.

Certainly wouldn't tell you what to do but can say that I would be ok with putting them on my car again. :D LOL

Good luck!

#7 ·
The difference in load rating is irrelevant - 108 load index tyres allows a theoretical axle load of 2,000 kg (4,409 lbs) which is more than adequate for the plated axle maximums.

I use 235/65 R17 winter tyres, optimised for cold wet conditions rather than snow.

#9 ·
Wow! This shows the need for winter tires and the beast doing it's job. You are truly blessed living there. What a difference from LA. I drove a Penske truck (moving) from FL to WA (3500 miles) and used the northern route (SD, MT). Always tried to stay away from CO because of the altitude. The second trip was towing my 20 foot enclosed car hauler from FL to WA via LA. I did all the calculations regarding air density and never had a problem, even if my rig was over the limit. The highest I went with the Touareg was Flagstaff AZ with rig. I did have an issue in UT with the fuel pumps giving up (most likely didn't cool enough and old at 138k). I made it eventually. When I got to WA, I replaced both of them. I tell you this truck pulled the rig nicely. I did have sway bar, weight distribution and good brake controller. But up the mountains, no problem. I was expecting a 2-3% loss in power for every 1000 feet and Flagstaff is around 7,000 feet = ~ 20% reduction in power with NA engine. Thanks again for all the help and advice. I really appreciate it.

#10 ·
The tires you should be looking for are 235/65/17 108 XL

#12 ·
I'm well aware of the load number but you still need the XL version!

#14 ·
The correct tyre spec is EXACTLY as I have posted.

#16 ·
Thanks again for the input from everyone. I just picked up a new set (4) of 17" Canyon Genuine rims for under $400 shipped from a store that buys bulk OE parts from VW. I will be going with the Blizzak 235/65/17 tires with the 108 XL rating. Yes, they are under the 109 XL rating for the V8, but I am not towing in the winters and others (V8 owners) have being using them. For others, the 108 load index is rated at 2205 lbs per tire vs 109 load index at 2271. I want others not to follow what I am doing, because the rating is below what VW recommends. It isn't as simple as calculating 2205 x 4 = 8820 lbs and the truck weighs less. There are other forces when going into corners, braking etc. Please be cautious with your choice. I feel comfortable in using the 108 rating for the V8 for my winter set-up. V6 owners don't have to make this choice, due to the fact that many came with 17" rims and the truck weighs less.

I don't want to advertise the deal on the rims. If someone is looking for a brand new set of OE Canyon 17" rims (they have many in stock / I am not compensated), please PM me and I will forward the company to you.

#18 ·
As late as 2015 VW offered the following for the Type 7P in Europe:

Wheel: Aspen, brilliant silver 7.5J x 17, ET 50

Tyre: Pirelli Scorpion Winter Size: 235/65 R17 108H XL

OR:

Wheel: Aspen, brilliant silver 8J x 18, ET 53

Tyre: Pirelli Scorpion Winter Size: 255/55 R18 109V XL

I currently have the set I duplicated in the 17" wheel size for sale, listed in the Classifieds.

Suitable for: Touareg (MY 10 →)

#19 ·
Last 2 winters I have had studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta 275/55-17. Now I have 255/55-18 studded Continental Ice Contacts, because 17" do not fit to V8 TDI.

I wouldn't put 235 wide tires on a Touareg. They look like wheel barrow tires to me... T-reg is so heavy that the grip in slush and snow is more than enough, even with a bit wider tire. The conditions during winter are rather harsh here in Finland...

#20 ·
Last 2 winters I have had studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta 275/55-17. Now I have 255/55-18 studded Continental Ice Contacts, because 17" do not fit to V8 TDI.

I wouldn't put 235 wide tires on a Touareg. They look like wheel barrow tires to me... T-reg is so heavy that the grip in slush and snow is more than enough, even with a bit wider tire. The conditions during winter are rather harsh here in Finland...

I don't think 17" would even fit your T-reg. Front rotors are 360mm. Mine are 330mm in the front. I agree that the looks aren't the best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.