White smoke 4.2l v8 - Club Touareg Forums
 1Likes

post #1 of 19 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Garage
White smoke 4.2l v8

So guys I've been reading through the forum for awhile finally made a new account cause I'm at a bit of a loss.

So long story short I bought a 2004 Touareg 4.2l v8. When I bought it the valve covers were off and right side cams, chain, chain tensioner were removed apparently it had skipped a tooth original owner got in over his head and gave up. Well after 3 weeks of hell
(two bolts on water pump snapped off and cam shaft on pass side for oil dispenser stripped all by previous owner), well finally got water pump, timing chains and tensioners, timing belt and tensioner along with other pulleys all replaced. Started up and leaked coolant from pass rear of engine found a bad hose on larger coolant pipe below head replaced and did the egr gaskets as well since I had to remove it anyway.

Now we are three weeks into this car and there is still a leak from same area and the car has thick white smoke from bother exhaust pipes the heater won't blow hot if that makes a difference I've been told that it could be head gasket I've been told injectors been told cracked head. Well it runs pretty good there's a slight tick doesn't over heat but plumes of smoke.

Any suggestions? Or do I drive it off a cliff and cut my losses

Also add that everything on this car works air suspension everything with no warning lights and 174k miles (even thought the owner lied and told me 130k)

Thanks guys

I don't regret the things I've done I regret the things j didn't do when I had the chance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Touareg: 2007 V6
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Garage
No hot air has to be a different problem than the white smoke. I'd bet on an actuator damaged while replacing a hose. It might even just be something loose. The white smoke sounds like a head gasket.
Lokixwolf likes this.

Yes Iím a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Scrap.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Garage
https://allusedparts.com/volkswagen/...&dir=a#results

Yes Iím a
post #5 of 19 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyWasHere View Post
No hot air has to be a different problem than the white smoke. I'd bet on an actuator damaged while replacing a hose. It might even just be something loose. The white smoke sounds like a head gasket.
I normally would agree but my spark plugs are clean the coolant isn't miss colored and the oil isn't milky or miss colored

I don't regret the things I've done I regret the things j didn't do when I had the chance
post #6 of 19 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Garage
White smoke has to be water in the exhaust. Look for other avenues for it to get in there.

Yes Iím a
post #7 of 19 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Garage
Hook up a pressure tester on the cooling system and find the leak.

Do a compression / leak down test on each cylinder to see if you have a head gasket leak or crack.

Or just buy a used motor

2014 Touareg Tdi

'03 Range Rover HSE

90kw Siemens AC induction motor
Home built drive inverter
33kWh Lithium pack
90k electric miles since 2008

post #8 of 19 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Buy a large boat... use the Touareg for an Anchor!

But seriously, you're burning coolant..... if it runs good, run it for a longer period of time, and you should see the coolant level drop, and the engine start to overheat (monitor it and shut it down before you pop it) .....
If you're plugs, oil and remaining coolant all look good, it can't be a HG or a cracked head\block...... start looking at EGR and other potential points\paths where the coolant might get into the exhaust.......

The fact that you don't have heat tells me that the coolant isn't circulating properly, and not reaching your heater core........
post #9 of 19 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboABA View Post
Buy a large boat... use the Touareg for an Anchor!

But seriously, you're burning coolant..... if it runs good, run it for a longer period of time, and you should see the coolant level drop, and the engine start to overheat (monitor it and shut it down before you pop it) .....
If you're plugs, oil and remaining coolant all look good, it can't be a HG or a cracked head\block...... start looking at EGR and other potential points\paths where the coolant might get into the exhaust.......

The fact that you don't have heat tells me that the coolant isn't circulating properly, and not reaching your heater core........

I ran it for about 25 min and checked them so I guess it's onto going down the list anyone know of a good coolant system diagram for this motor?

post #10 of 19 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

With a blown head gasket, the plug(s) will be SUPER clean for the cylinder(s) where the coolant is entering. It's like water injection. Usually the white smoke only lasts a few seconds until it burns off. Constant white smoke points to a large gasket leak or cracked head. No heat may be enough coolant leaking to quickly cause air pocket.

Pressure test cooling system to verify.

If enough coolant gets into a cylinder, you can blow the engine at start up...water doesn't compress...called hydrolock.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode