8Likes

post #41 of 81 Old 01-24-2019 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2015 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdBurgler View Post
Why did you even buy a TDI with a cr*ppy short commute like that? And people say you're smart? Whole drive train never even gets warmed up to correct operating temps with that distance. Let alone trying to complete a DPF regeneration.

Should have bought anything but a TDI for that kind of drive. SMH.
Coolant and oil get to operating temperature very quickly. I don't have a DPF so I don't have to worry about regeneration On the weekends it gets taken for long hard drives.

This is a modern diesel engine, not something from the '50s. It will be fine. I'm a heavy duty equipment technician and deal with diesel engines all day, mostly with 15+ litre displacement that idle all day. I'm not ignorant to what I'm doing lol.

Some of y'all need to chill.

'81 Rabbit S 16vG60 | '01 A6 2.7TT 6MT | '15 Touareg TDI Exec R-line

- OEM air suspension retrofit
- OEM parking heater retrofit
- OEM Easy-Open hatch retrofit
- OEM ambient lighting retrofit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 81 Old 01-24-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
I guess it gets lost on enthusiasts here that driving is a privilege, not a right.

Kind of means you get regulated and need to follow rules for having the privilege, by the folks that provide the infrastructure for you to use that privilege, your government, and the roads you drive on, or the privilege gets removed.
post #43 of 81 Old 01-24-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnits View Post
Because at the point in time when I bough it I had no clue about diesel technology, at all? Not that MY car would actually emit more pollutants and carcinogens than necessary - because, you know, it still has it's DPF, EGR, etc. in place and working, which in turn do their job, and filter out most of the bad stuff. And I actually just fixed some minor problem with these recently, which caused no practical problems for me, but because I was just bothered by the fact that in some cases it emitted a little more stuff, than it should have under optimal conditions.

I go out of my way to do everything to keep my car's emission at the minimum possible. A person who deletes his car's DPF does the exact opposite of that, and puts his extra effort into making it even higher than it would be anyway (regardless of this likely not being his primary goal). So, don't even try to somehow draw a parallel between us, because we're actually at the opposite, very far ends of the same scale.

Would that lower the emission of this particular car, or that of humanity as a whole? Obviously it wouldn't, not even a single microgram. Because this very car would still be driven by someone else, and would keep emitting the same amount of stuff. Or possibly even more, if that person would delete the DPF, or would not take as good care of the car as I do.

Or should I scrap it, and buy a new one instead of it? What do you think how much pollution manufacturing all the components, building, transporting that car to me, etc. does create? Do you really think the net emission saving between the emissions created by my "old" car and a new, possibly more efficient one would be more, than how much extra emission building and delivering that new car to me would generate? Because it wouldn't be not even close.

So, then why would I do that - even if I'd have the funds for that? Or what did you mean to say or imply there?

This thread wasn't about judgement until someone tried to defend an illegal act by trying to poke fun of those who pointed out the act to be illegal. So, is your problem being judgemental? Because then you're definitely complaining at the wrong point of time and to the wrong person. Even now I'm not arguing based on moral grounds, but based on hard facts and logic. Or is your actual problem more that there have been valid and pretty much irrefutable points brought up against DPF delete, both on legal, health, and also on environmental grounds?

Most of my questions are obviously rhetoric.

Dude take your rhetoric and shove it. All these emissions standards are only for one reason and one reason only- MONEY. Until humans find a way around using fossil fuels, mining toxic metals like lithium, figuring out how to dispose of all this waste we create without dumping it into the ocean or landfills, all these emissions requirements are a FU$$ING joke. ALL OF THEM. Want to eliminate most of of the worlds polluters, wipe India and China off the map. And thats a fact.

- Euro Paddle Shifter Steering wheel retrofit
- Autohold retrofit
- yrktreg tcm retune
- Malone stg 2 tune
- 3" turboback exhaust
- 265/65/18 duratracs on Cayenne wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 81 Old 01-24-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboABA View Post
Good morning all! I love this thread..... best derailment ever!

Everyone has some point of view, but unless you all feed on carrots only (yes, I'm suggesting every contributor to this thread is a donkey), you cannot possibly stand behind all the limited perspective comments you are making (myself included).

It's true, we all play an important role. Pollution, cancer, and killing the planet are all very complex subjects and not really a topic for this forum, but perhaps we can start a "save the planet thread" and go nuts. There is so much BAD stuff we all do, we all use, we all consume, etc. in our daily lives that we are hurting the environment and future of the planet. I'd love to argue with you all about all these points until all our DPFs clog up and we all scrap our Touaregs, but we would still never see eye-to-eye.

I will now refrain from going on, as the simple action of me participating in internet activity is actually contributing to hurting the environment. In order to have a server to host this board, there's dirty electricity being consumed, which is more likely than not being created by burning coal or other fossil fuels, and thus creating harmful emissions. Not to mention that I'm also supporting Google and their server farms, and if we were to even consider the COOLING required by any data center of that magnitude, we would realize that all the cost of just storing our exponentially expanding data is another massive contributor to all the stuff we are all bitching about in this thread.

Everyone calm your tits and realize that you're all polluters no matter what you think the rest of us are doing.

Group buy on Teslas anyone? Speaking of Teslas, why doesn't our government follow Norway's example and provide massive incentives for driving electric cars? Those guys really have their crap together when it comes to their carbon footprint!

Yea because lithium is such an eco friendly metal to mine. lol

- Euro Paddle Shifter Steering wheel retrofit
- Autohold retrofit
- yrktreg tcm retune
- Malone stg 2 tune
- 3" turboback exhaust
- 265/65/18 duratracs on Cayenne wheels
post #45 of 81 Old 01-24-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Second Vehicle: VW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04_sti View Post
Want to eliminate most of of the worlds polluters, wipe India and China off the map. And thats a fact.
I'm willing to bet you voted for Trump
post #46 of 81 Old 01-24-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 R5 TDI
Quote:
Dude take your rhetoric and shove it.
Translation: I don't have a counterargument, but I don't want to admit you're right either, because then I'd have to admit I'm doing the wrong thing. I get it.

Quote:
All these emissions standards are only for one reason and one reason only- MONEY.
Your theory would only make sense if emission standards couldn't have been possibly met. But with things like DPF they are. So, nobody's getting money from this. In reality the opposite is true what you're implying. Money is the reason why are NOT having even stricter emission standards. Because that would mean companies would have to spend a lot more on R&D, they could make and sell less products (or only cars with smaller engines, for obviously less money), big oil's sales would plummet, etc.

Quote:
Until humans find a way around using fossil fuels
We already did. Have you been living under a rock for the past century? The problem is not that we have not found other ways, but that people refuse to adopt those technologies. Like by saying stuff that "all these emissions requirements are a FU$$ING joke".

Quote:
mining toxic metals like lithium
Did you know that lithium is actually used also as a medication for humans?

Quote:
figuring out how to dispose of all this waste we create without dumping it into the ocean or landfills
We've already figured out that one too: recycling, and not creating that much waste in the first place. But even if we wouldn't have, that would be just one more reason to cut emissions and waste the more where we can, like with DPFs and similar stuff.

Quote:
all these emissions requirements are a FU$$ING joke.
They're essential steps to reach a goal gradually. Which is mostly hindered by naysayers asserting that if we can't change things gradually or every one of us do his little part that adds up, then we shouldn't even try in the first place.

Quote:
ALL OF THEM. Want to eliminate most of of the worlds polluters, wipe India and China off the map. And thats a fact.
It's not. For ex. the US emits twice as much CO2 than India, even in absolute terms. And per capita the US emits 2x as much as does China, and 9x as much as India. These are the actual facts.
post #47 of 81 Old 01-24-2019

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
It is amazing that occasionally somebody will chime in about how wrong it is to do a delete and tune, and continue the argument in post after post. The attempt to raise everyoneís social conscious is commendable- only to a point. I donít think the point of this thread or even this forum is right vs. wrong. Itís about what is.... People will continue to do what they do.
So perhaps a different thread, section or even forum can be a place for that kind of discussion. Time to get back to the OP?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #48 of 81 Old 01-24-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Second Vehicle: VW 2
Awesome thread....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mag.png
Views:	13
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	220671  
aircooled likes this.
post #49 of 81 Old 01-24-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 R5 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamajet View Post
It is amazing that occasionally somebody will chime in about how wrong it is to do a delete and tune, and continue the argument in post after post.
It's amazing how somebody will not comprehend that this is not about some abstract morality, even after that has been explicitly pointed out. It's about facts, regarding legality, health and environmental impacts, and basics of mathematics. It's also amazing how the very same person who has obviously no problems with the pro-delete, pro-pollution comments continuing the argument (let alone starting it in the first place), is irritated over comments pointing out the flawed logic and factually false data in the former.
post #50 of 81 Old 01-24-2019 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2015 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Garage
Thank you, next.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

'81 Rabbit S 16vG60 | '01 A6 2.7TT 6MT | '15 Touareg TDI Exec R-line

- OEM air suspension retrofit
- OEM parking heater retrofit
- OEM Easy-Open hatch retrofit
- OEM ambient lighting retrofit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode