V6 TDI DPF/NoX cat delete - Page 4 - Club Touareg Forums
 8Likes

post #31 of 81 Old 01-23-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
IMHO.....

GTFO and go hug some trees! LOL
But if you really want to talk pollution, greenhouse gasses, and harmful emissions, let's at least talk about the significant contributors like livestock and the giant shipping tankers that literally burn the lowest quality fuel found anywhere and have zero emission requirements and run 24/7 basically. A few modified or gutted enthusiast exhausts won't even amount to a drop in a bucket in comparison.

Don't give into the EPA claims ... Those are all about financial gains, as they are almost insignificant in terms of reducing pollution.
Built4Sin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 81 Old 01-23-2019 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2015 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Garage
I'm surprised by the few disgruntled posters in this thread. Fact of the matter is, I'm not worried about what could happen regarding my warranty should something happen down the line. I'm not thinking about that now, but will deal with it should the time come. You don't think about a divorce on your wedding day, do you?

For now, I'm just going to enjoy the increased power, acceleration, turbo noise, and improved fuel economy; and worry less about the DPF clogging or DEF heater/pump issues.
Built4Sin and Rallyroo like this.

'81 Rabbit S 16vG60 | '01 A6 2.7TT 6MT | '15 Touareg TDI Exec R-line

- OEM air suspension retrofit
- OEM parking heater retrofit
- OEM Easy-Open hatch retrofit
- OEM ambient lighting retrofit
post #33 of 81 Old 01-23-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 R5 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboABA View Post
based on his posts and some of the DIYs\Projects he's shared, I would jump to the conclusion that he's slightly more advanced than your typical donkey....... he seems to have enough knowledge, access to resources and comprehension
Mechanically? Possibly. In regard of digital technologies and law? Definitely not (based on what he said anyway). Then again, nobody's is telling him he shouldn't do what he does (well, not in regard to the warranty issues anyway), because well... let him do it. He's a grown up man. All we have pointed out are some misconceptions about the warranty and the dealer's ability to detect his tempering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 81 Old 01-23-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
IMHO..... GTFO and go hug some trees! LOL
Yeah, it will not be so funny when the doctor tells to you or to one of your family members, that "you've cancer". Hopefully this won't ever happen, but the more DPF deletes, the higher the chances are that it will.

Quote:
But if you really want to talk pollution, greenhouse gasses, and harmful emissions, let's at least talk about the significant contributors like livestock and the giant shipping tankers that literally burn the lowest quality fuel found anywhere and have zero emission requirements and run 24/7 basically. A few modified or gutted enthusiast exhausts won't even amount to a drop in a bucket in comparison.
For one, it all adds up. Nobody's is going to make an impact just by themselves, but if everybody does what he can (or at least doesn't go out of his way to undo what others - like car manufacturers with their particle filters - have done), then that cumulatively does. And vice versa: if nobody cares, then we get the situation where we are right in and are getting ourselves into in the future.

And the other thing is: the pollution created by the livestock is not causing cancer per se, and is not created a few feet away from you, whereas car emissions are inhaled directly by you, by your family and by the drivers sitting next to you in traffic. And of course you're also inhaling their emitted carbon particles and NOx, too, because well, they also wouldn't want to spend a few extra bucks cleaning their manifolds every once in a while.

Also, the solution to livestock possibly creating more pollution than cars (which btw is a false dichotomy, because they're creating very different kinds of pollutions, that are not really comparable to each other) is not making cars create even more pollution, so, they will be on par, but cutting back on livestock consumption, like eating less steaks, right?

So, I understand you're trying to deflect the problem and create some self-justification there, but, well, you're not really succeeding with that. Are you?
post #35 of 81 Old 01-23-2019

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Ok Gnits. Youíve shared youíre opinion. But, according to your profile, why do you choose to drive that 2008 TDI anyway? Why donít you trade it for a newer and more efficient, cleaner running diesel? Or better yet a hybrid?
This is supposed to be about sharing information not condemnation, judgement and shame. Thereís plenty of that all over the tv, everyday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #36 of 81 Old 01-24-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamajet View Post
Ok Gnits. You’ve shared you’re opinion. But, according to your profile, why do you choose to drive that 2008 TDI anyway?
Because at the point in time when I bough it I had no clue about diesel technology, at all? Not that MY car would actually emit more pollutants and carcinogens than necessary - because, you know, it still has it's DPF, EGR, etc. in place and working, which in turn do their job, and filter out most of the bad stuff. And I actually just fixed some minor problem with these recently, which caused no practical problems for me, but because I was just bothered by the fact that in some cases it emitted a little more stuff, than it should have under optimal conditions.

I go out of my way to do everything to keep my car's emission at the minimum possible. A person who deletes his car's DPF does the exact opposite of that, and puts his extra effort into making it even higher than it would be anyway (regardless of this likely not being his primary goal). So, don't even try to somehow draw a parallel between us, because we're actually at the opposite, very far ends of the same scale.

Quote:
Why don’t you trade it for a newer and more efficient, cleaner running diesel?
Would that lower the emission of this particular car, or that of humanity as a whole? Obviously it wouldn't, not even a single microgram. Because this very car would still be driven by someone else, and would keep emitting the same amount of stuff. Or possibly even more, if that person would delete the DPF, or would not take as good care of the car as I do.

Or should I scrap it, and buy a new one instead of it? What do you think how much pollution manufacturing all the components, building, transporting that car to me, etc. does create? Do you really think the net emission saving between the emissions created by my "old" car and a new, possibly more efficient one would be more, than how much extra emission building and delivering that new car to me would generate? Because it wouldn't be not even close.

So, then why would I do that - even if I'd have the funds for that? Or what did you mean to say or imply there?

Quote:
This is supposed to be about sharing information not condemnation, judgement and shame.
This thread wasn't about judgement until someone tried to defend an illegal act by trying to poke fun of those who pointed out the act to be illegal. So, is your problem being judgemental? Because then you're definitely complaining at the wrong point of time and to the wrong person. Even now I'm not arguing based on moral grounds, but based on hard facts and logic. Or is your actual problem more that there have been valid and pretty much irrefutable points brought up against DPF delete, both on legal, health, and also on environmental grounds?

Most of my questions are obviously rhetoric.
post #37 of 81 Old 01-24-2019
Learner

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2015 V8 TDI
Lets disagree on matters and keep it positive to respect each others opinion guys.
Happy tregging

V8 TDI R line MY15, White, Panoramic roof, VW towbar. Dynamic Road Sign Recognition, Lane Assist, Traffic Reports, Google Earth enabled. All Led.

V10 TDI, MYO6 on Conti CrossContact 255/60/18s with RNS510, Paddle Shifters, Rear Diff lock, Mounted Spare, Bluetooth, 4 Zone CC, Keyless, AFS Xenons, TPMS, Easy Entry/Exit, Twin Batteries, Air Suspension, Sunroof, Icom IC440 UHF radio...

Had, Sold & Missed...V6 petrol on Pirelli AT's with Sat Nav, Rear Diff lock, Bluetooth & Phatbox.
post #38 of 81 Old 01-24-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewblekka View Post
Yes there will be an improvement, anywhere from .5 to 2L/100km depending on how you drive. My commute is only 13km/20 minutes so I probably wonít see much improvement. Maybe if I lay off the throttle it will improve, but whereís the fun in that?

When I go on my next road trip Iíll report back. Previous highway driving was around 8L/100km.
Why did you even buy a TDI with a cr*ppy short commute like that? And people say you're smart? Whole drive train never even gets warmed up to correct operating temps with that distance. Let alone trying to complete a DPF regeneration.

Should have bought anything but a TDI for that kind of drive. SMH.
post #39 of 81 Old 01-24-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Garage
These threads always go this way. Why? If you feel strongly, state your piece if you must, and then exit the thread.

Pushing the narrative that a minor modification is so harmful that it causes pain on others, is way out of bounds contextually.

2014 | AUDI Q7 | V6TDI | CARRARAWHITE | S-LINE | PRESTIGE | AIR SUS | WARM PK |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Cayenne TT Sways |
2009 | BMW 335D | V6TT | CRIMSONRED | DAKOTA BLACK INT | MSPORT | COLD PK | PREMIUM PK |

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #40 of 81 Old 01-24-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Second Vehicle: VW 2
Good morning all! I love this thread..... best derailment ever!

Everyone has some point of view, but unless you all feed on carrots only (yes, I'm suggesting every contributor to this thread is a donkey), you cannot possibly stand behind all the limited perspective comments you are making (myself included).

It's true, we all play an important role. Pollution, cancer, and killing the planet are all very complex subjects and not really a topic for this forum, but perhaps we can start a "save the planet thread" and go nuts. There is so much BAD stuff we all do, we all use, we all consume, etc. in our daily lives that we are hurting the environment and future of the planet. I'd love to argue with you all about all these points until all our DPFs clog up and we all scrap our Touaregs, but we would still never see eye-to-eye.

I will now refrain from going on, as the simple action of me participating in internet activity is actually contributing to hurting the environment. In order to have a server to host this board, there's dirty electricity being consumed, which is more likely than not being created by burning coal or other fossil fuels, and thus creating harmful emissions. Not to mention that I'm also supporting Google and their server farms, and if we were to even consider the COOLING required by any data center of that magnitude, we would realize that all the cost of just storing our exponentially expanding data is another massive contributor to all the stuff we are all bitching about in this thread.

Everyone calm your tits and realize that you're all polluters no matter what you think the rest of us are doing.

Group buy on Teslas anyone? Speaking of Teslas, why doesn't our government follow Norway's example and provide massive incentives for driving electric cars? Those guys really have their crap together when it comes to their carbon footprint!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode