Freeze Frame:
RPM: 2016 /min
Speed: 121.4 km/h
Inj. Quantity: 17.6 mg/str
Temperature: 516.0C
Duty Cycle: 0.0 %
Temperature: 21.6C

Readiness: 0 0 0 0 0

I have been getting the above fault around Regen. After every three faults, the check engine light come on. I have been tracking it for a month to make sure it was not serious or related to DPF. After detailed testing I concluded it had to be the turbo temp. sender. To confirm my hunch I took the Treg. to the dealer and they also confirmed it. They are telling me that they have to drop the motor to change sender and of course plan to charge an arm and a leg so wanted to know if any of you guys have changed the unit without taking the motor out?

My baby: 1969 300SEL 6.3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 R5 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
There's no such thing as a "turbo temperature sender" in a Touareg. There's one temperature sensor in the intake manifold _before_ the turbo, which however should be accessible from the top, so it can't possibly be what you've to replace. And there are temperature senders more down the exhaust path, _before_ and _after_ the _particulate filter_. Cars with a catalytic converter might also have a fourth temperature sensor, usually called "after the turbocharger temperature sensor" (so, this is actually then the second in line, if counting from the exhaust ports towards the tailpipe). Replacement of the latter three sensors all require dropping either the engine itself and/or the transmission, so, they naturally cost an arm and a leg.
post #3 of 15 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
I may be on the wrong track so apologies if I raise any hopes here, but I think I recall someone cutting a small hole in the floor/ transmission tunnel to access and replace a sensor so they did not have to remove the engine. However I can't recall which sensor it was. I will have a little search though.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnits View Post
There's no such thing as a "turbo temperature sender" in a Touareg. There's one temperature sensor in the intake manifold _before_ the turbo, which however should be accessible from the top, so it can't possibly be what you've to replace. And there are temperature senders more down the exhaust path, _before_ and _after_ the _particulate filter_. Cars with a catalytic converter might also have a fourth temperature sensor, usually called "after the turbocharger temperature sensor" (so, this is actually then the second in line, if counting from the exhaust ports towards the tailpipe). Replacement of the latter three sensors all require dropping either the engine itself and/or the transmission, so, they naturally cost an arm and a leg.
Gnits thank you for your opinion. But I do want to clear two things, "Sender" is what VW calls it, so you need to take that up with them. As for not having to replace it, I am not sure but after keeping my Treg. for an entire day that is what the dealership told me, needed replacing. So for now I am going with their diagnosis, till as such time they are proven wrong.

post #5 of 15 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobytoogy View Post
I may be on the wrong track so apologies if I raise any hopes here, but I think I recall someone cutting a small hole in the floor/ transmission tunnel to access and replace a sensor so they did not have to remove the engine. However I can't recall which sensor it was. I will have a little search though.
Noobytoogy, if it's worth any thing, the sender is on the right side.

post #6 of 15 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
post #7 of 15 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouaregNut View Post
Gnits thank you for your opinion. But I do want to clear two things, "Sender" is what VW calls it, so you need to take that up with them.
No, you misunderstood me. I wasn't pointing to the term "sender" (which is just the result of the literal translation of the original German term "Geber", which is why these things are called GXXX, where XXX is a number) being wrong, but to there being no temperature sensor/sender right at or in the turbocharger. The closest being to the turbocharger is the one in the exhaust manifold, but - as said - replacement of that shouldn't require dropping the engine or the transmission - so, if they said they'd need to do the latter, then they were not talking about that sensor. And all the other sensors ("senders") are not even close to the turbocharger.

If you have VCDS, maybe it would be worth trying to look at the engine fault codes and MVBs to see which one of the sensors is actually marked as having been failed by the ECU or delivering definitely false temperature information, so, we'd at least know which of the 3 (or 4) sensors we're talking about.
post #8 of 15 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboABA View Post
Not sure whether soldering the wires - as recommended in this thread - is a good idea, because solder melts at below 200 C (400 F), and some parts of the exhaust pathway might get *a lot* hotter than that. Same thing with the heat shrink insulation. I think the OP of this thread had a problem with the last sensor, which has obviously to cope with the lowest temperatures of them all, so, the soldering method might possibly work and be safe there, but might not work more upward the exhaust pipe.

Also, VW doesn't recommend soldering any electrical wires, not even at places not exposed to extreme thermal stress, but instead instructs in the service manuals to use crimped joints to connect wires when cut or partially replaced. So, I'd suggest doing that also in this case, if one decides to use this hack instead of removing the engine/transmission.
post #9 of 15 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnits View Post
No, you misunderstood me. I wasn't pointing to the term "sender" (which is just the result of the literal translation of the original German term "Geber", which is why these things are called GXXX, where XXX is a number) being wrong, but to there being no temperature sensor/sender right at or in the turbocharger. The closest being to the turbocharger is the one in the exhaust manifold, but - as said - replacement of that shouldn't require dropping the engine or the transmission - so, if they said they'd need to do the latter, then they were not talking about that sensor. And all the other sensors ("senders") are not even close to the turbocharger.

If you have VCDS, maybe it would be worth trying to look at the engine fault codes and MVBs to see which one of the sensors is actually marked as having been failed by the ECU or delivering definitely false temperature information, so, we'd at least know which of the 3 (or 4) sensors we're talking about.
The sender/sensor VW is referring to, is the one before the turbo. As for VCDS, there are no other faults other than the one I have shown in the beginning of the thread, I have run VCDS every time the error code is thrown, all the remaining temp. senders along the exhaust are working fine, as they show correct ambient temps. and the ash is at 80.

post #10 of 15 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouaregNut View Post
The sender/sensor VW is referring to, is the one before the turbo.
And you need to drop the engine to replace that? It's the G235 sensor, isn't it?

I mean I've never actually worked on a V10 engine, but to me it seems that that particular sensor should be accessible from the top even while the engine is still in the engine bay. I've also taken a look at the repair manual, and that doesn't mention having to drop the engine for that sensor either, while it does for the other ones more down the pipe.

If I were in the situation I'd double check with some other source whether the engine really needs to be dropped for the exhaust manifold temperature sensor replacement, because it doesn't look to me like it would be needed. Then again I could be wrong.

https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/a...223841&thumb=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	touareg-exhaust-manifold-temperature-sensor.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	223841  
The Following User Says Thank You to Gnits For This Useful Post:
TouaregNut (4 Weeks Ago)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode