Turbo Temp. Sender Replavement? - Page 2 - Club Touareg Forums

post #11 of 15 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnits View Post
Not sure whether soldering the wires - as recommended in this thread - is a good idea, because solder melts at below 200 C (400 F), and some parts of the exhaust pathway might get *a lot* hotter than that. Same thing with the heat shrink insulation. I think the OP of this thread had a problem with the last sensor, which has obviously to cope with the lowest temperatures of them all, so, the soldering method might possibly work and be safe there, but might not work more upward the exhaust pipe.

Also, VW doesn't recommend soldering any electrical wires, not even at places not exposed to extreme thermal stress, but instead instructs in the service manuals to use crimped joints to connect wires when cut or partially replaced. So, I'd suggest doing that also in this case, if one decides to use this hack instead of removing the engine/transmission.
Valid points and concerns, but technically, there's all sorts of "solder" with various properties, and one could essentially add all sort of heat shielding, etc. if they wanted to solder connections, etc......

Regardless, no point in discussing those details since at this point, I'm not really convinced that the OP has tracked down the exact root cause of his issues, or the correct sensor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Have a read through this guys for some clues..... you may want to do some additional investigations to determine which sensor\probe is wacky before you pull the trigger on any fixing.....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SSP+303+++V10+TDI+engine+with+PD.pdf (2.78 MB, 9 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to TurboABA For This Useful Post:
TouaregNut (4 Weeks Ago)
post #13 of 15 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnits View Post
And you need to drop the engine to replace that? It's the G235 sensor, isn't it?

I mean I've never actually worked on a V10 engine, but to me it seems that that particular sensor should be accessible from the top even while the engine is still in the engine bay. I've also taken a look at the repair manual, and that doesn't mention having to drop the engine for that sensor either, while it does for the other ones more down the pipe.

If I were in the situation I'd double check with some other source whether the engine really needs to be dropped for the exhaust manifold temperature sensor replacement, because it doesn't look to me like it would be needed. Then again I could be wrong.

https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/a...223841&thumb=1
I wish VW dealers were that "SMART". Anything that is not visible on top of the engine, VW wants to pull the motor out. They can't even do the cam-shafts without taking the motor out, this sensor is below the head cover, so they can not possibly comprehend doing it while motor is in place.

My baby: 1969 300SEL 6.3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboABA View Post
Have a read through this guys for some clues..... you may want to do some additional investigations to determine which sensor\probe is wacky before you pull the trigger on any fixing.....
Now this is great information!!!

post #15 of 15 Old 4 Days Ago Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

OK so I finally had to take my Treg to the guys in OH. Yes my new found "best friends" . It looks like i was experiencing a "cause and effect" situation. The guys tested every conceivable sensor and all were working perfectly. The next option was to clean the the DPF even though it was only showing 80gm. The fault, so far, after 3 days of testing has not re-appeared. The mechanic thinks that since the Stage 2 Colt Cams put out more volume of exhaust, the DPF was not able to handle it with the soot in place so after cleaning them the exhaust gases can flow freely. I hope this is the solution, as I would not like to drive all the way back to OH again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode