Transmission-Hard Down Shift - Page 6 - Club Touareg Forums
 1Likes

post #51 of 296 Old 08-20-2008

Wow, thanks a bunch to all, V10, alboogie. So I got a 2004 V6, it's got about 40,000 miles and the problem just started back in June. alboogiee gave a perfect description of the same problem I have and everybody is saying Body Valve and Royal Mortors in San Francisco is saying there is no problem at all, I am very nervous because I need to drive up north, wondering if evertyhing could just go bad on me....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 296 Old 08-20-2008
Touareg Enthusiast

My 2004 V8 had the same problem at about 42.000 miles. I was able to reproduce it simply by playing around with the tiptronic. So within 30-50mph I was manually up- and downshifting and then "bang !".
This was enough for the dealer and the VW rep to donate me a new (remanufactured) transmission and a brand new transfer case.

Hope this info helps.
post #53 of 296 Old 08-20-2008
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
dctech: - I wouldn't worry about your trip up north. If you know the tranny will downshift hard, then just keep it in the back of your head not to step on the pedal too much to make it do that. Perhaps, during your trip there and back, it would worsen enough for the dealer to actually be able to re-create the problem. When my tranny downshifted hard, I left it as-is for about 3 weeks before I actually brought it in. As I use it for work, I just waited till it was convenient for me to bring it to them. It didn't happen very often, only at highway speeds, and only when it needed to downshift. Go enjoy your trip this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 296 Old 08-22-2008

Alright, thanks again guys for all your help. Today, after one week having the car in the shop, VW was able to reproduce the problem Once.
I will take the car back and go through CA to OR.
VW will call me next week so they can replace the <Body Valve> (ah finally). We will see if it does the job or just part of it. Thanks all, have a good weekend. I think I will post more soon...
post #55 of 296 Old 08-23-2008
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
dctech: Good to hear that they were finally able to re-produce it... It is frustrating when you take your vehicle in, and they find "no problems"!! It's always re-assuring when they start replacing parts for free!

Just a quick note if your still around, try not to make your tranny "Bump" too often, even though you know they will be replacing the valve body, I think it may be especially hard on the drivetrain, ie: drive shafts, transfer case, bearings each time it slams it down a gear... It's like doing a neutral drop, and it can't be good on the overall drive system.

Best wishes,
v10treg
post #56 of 296 Old 08-26-2008

Hey V10, thanks, and yes I did follow your helpful advice. The Treg made it just fine in this trip CA-OR-CA. I got the issue only once, when I forgot about it and did the wrong thing... VW in SF should be able to replace the body valve this week, then I will do another trip into the wild in northern CA. The funny story, last Friday when I went to pick up the car, I told the service guy to look at something, I opened the car, pulled out a piece of paper that had been sitting in the car at the shop since the previous week, and showed him the paper, it was a print out of your postings Guys! plus hand written at the top the words <check body valve>.... I am no magician, you guys rock!
post #57 of 296 Old 08-26-2008

You need a valve body replaced.
post #58 of 296 Old 09-02-2008

Just an update. I had my transmission replaced about 20,000kms ago and have not had the THUD downshift since then.
post #59 of 296 Old 09-17-2008

I had my Touareg serviced so i asked my mechanic to see if there is anything wrong with the auto body valve.He told me that everything is ok and that my transimission is working properly, in some road conditions and and in low revs the car can downshift from 6th to 3rd(as the factory instructs).He had some Touaregs in Greece that needed the body valve to be replaced.He said that this happens if the driver makes a bad use of the auto box,like playing with the stick from D to S in a non gentle way.

I paid for the 29000 kms service 388 euros.
post #60 of 296 Old 09-17-2008

Hi to all.

Many time since my last post here.

In the Spanish Touareg forum FOROTOUAREG many of us have experienced the same problem, but the thing it's VAESA (official VAG group dealer for Spain) doesn't repair any Tiptronic automatic transmission, they only excepts the replacement for another rebuiled one for the amount of 6000$

I suffer my self this problem in Touareg and, prior to waste my money, try to solve it changing the ATF fluid (VW says it's lifetime) and adding and additive to do the speed changes softer. the problem was partially (80%) solved and the autotrany behavior have been improved a lot... but doesn't disappears completely

The mechanic call me back to told me that old ATF oil its contaminated with metallic particles, probably they comes from the friction of different gears or so Ņ...?. Don't you think guys this particles could depositate over the valve bodyes and occasioned the problem?

Another members of the Spanish forum have been advised from their workshop about the same question with the ATF. Below I post a picture of the oil filter (sorry about the quality but it's a phone picture in the darkness of the workshop), the black residues over it are the metallic depositions.

Anyway, as I can't solve the problem, I have returned again the car to my mechanic (not VW official, of course) to disassemble the gearbox and try to solve the problem, I suppose he change the valble(s) body(s) as well.

Javier.-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in