Transmission-Hard Down Shift - Page 5 - Club Touareg Forums
 1Likes

post #41 of 296 Old 08-15-2008

Jolt Issue Still

I did a post on another thread, I am so glad I found this one!!

Here is the background:
<<Jolt / Bang Issue - Same here guys, I will pass on all previous issues with my 2004 V6 Touareg. The car has just spent over 24 hours at the dealer and they don't know the problem, I guess they should check clubtouareg. So back a few month ago, my car started the same, going uphill, keep accelaration, relase a bit, keep foot on accelerator, about 4th Gear, get a big jolt / bang. Dealer said transmission was a bit lose and added some silicon, did not fix the issue, got the issue again the next day, not easy to reproduce but you are sure to get it after 20-30 minutes drive, in the city and in the conditions I just mentioned. Now I am looking for the next step...>>

So I have brought back the car again a Royal motors in San Francisco, they still told me they don't know the problem, they will look, they refused to READ the posts about "Valve Body" will make sure to tell them to RTFM.

This Touareg had everything changed, from the rotor motor to electrical and electronics, it's now an hybrid 2004/2007...

Will those guys be able to fix it today, I doubt I will get the car back until next week. Anyway, the transmission is under warranty.

Thanks to you guys from clubtouareg, you rock ! will keep you posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 296 Old 08-15-2008

VW in SF is keeping the car until next Tuesday, of course they could not reproduce the hard jolt with the gear transmission at all.
I insisted they look at the body valve.
More posting next week...
post #43 of 296 Old 08-16-2008
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
I had the same problem with my 2004 v10 tdi... It would down shift hard while cruising at highway speeds (100kmph+), when you step on the pedal (not mash it), but enough to make the tranny need to downshift, BAM, it would slam down a gear or two... Sounded like something was going to break, my girlfriend was scared...

After reporting it to the friendly dealership at Fifth Avenue Auto Hause in Calgary, AB, the were able to reproduce the problem many times, over and over.... After talking to VWOA, they confirmed they would do a software update, and replace the valve body at no charge under warranty... This was about 2 weeks without my vehicle.

I got my v10 back, and no problems for the first day... The first cold start the next day, it would slip up-shifting, until the engine/tranny fluids warmed up... I brought it back, and they decided they needed to drop the engine and tranny. Upon doing so, they discovered an oil leak from the driverside turbo was leaking oil into the intercooler. VWOA ok'd the dealership to replace both turbos at no charge!!!!!!!!!! (at the time, vehicle only had 38,000kms...).

So, exactly 30 days later, new turbos, oil seals, everything, including a brand new tranny, everything is working good. Just sucks balls that it needed to be gone for so long. The turbo dieing after only 38,000km is unjustified, as well as the tranny. My only conclusion is, faulty tranny design, and the original owner of the Treg (bought at 23,000km) must've not let the engine/turbos cool down after hard runs, therefore, destroying the turbo seals from heat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 296 Old 08-19-2008

V10reg, talk about a nightmare, looks like you got it all fix though, and thanks a lot for your input. Well here is what's going on with mine, the dealership says they cannot find anything wrong with the car... I am very worried, but they also said to have put a call to VW and they should hear back from them today.
post #45 of 296 Old 08-20-2008

VW just informed me they have been driving the car and they cannot reproduce the problem so they will not do anything to the car. My problem is I need to cross state and go to Oregon this weekend, will the car make it...
post #46 of 296 Old 08-20-2008
Touareg Enthusiast

That is unfortunate that they cannot reproduce the problem... For me, the tranny would only downshift "hard/bang" while cruising at highway speeds... I would say at 90kmph+, step on it halfway so the tranny needs to downshift, and then it would do it. It seemed to only do it if I had been driving for awhile, say atleast 1/2 hour at a higher speed, in top gear. Then when it was needed for the tranny to downshift, it would bang down a gear or two.

Is that what your Touareg does?
post #47 of 296 Old 08-20-2008
Touareg Enthusiast

Your not the only one that has had this problem with your tranny, I'm sure VW know's all about it. Seeing as though, they paid my dealership the $12,000+ CAD to replace the tranny with a new one (warranty). Sh!t, If I had to pay for a new tranny myself, I'm not sure what I'd do, I could almost buy a brand new car for that price. Aparrantly, in Calgary (AB), Fifth Avenu Auto Haus is the only VW certified service location to service the Touareg V10 and Phaeton. Is your dealership or do they have a technician that is actually trained to work on a V10? Or are they just guessing, and hoping for the best? I was nervous as hell when they said they needed to drop the engine, but the level and quality of service I recieved from the dealership, helped very much re-assure my nervousness about the operation. They have the engine stand designed to handle the V10 and tranny, and it is only used for that purpose only, so I know they are the only VW Dealer in Calgary that I trust to work on such a complicated machine.

(Edit: Sorry, I assumed you had the V10 in your Treg, None the less, I don't think they are trying hard enough to replicate the problem. A simple test drive up and down the road where their dealership is isn't going to cut it, they need to take it out for a long drive... About 1/2 hour, and hold it at a constant speed in sixth gear (in auto mode). That should hopefully re-create the problem, as it did for me.)
post #48 of 296 Old 08-20-2008
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Still looking
I just had the valve body replaced and 80% of the issue is resolved for me... I was able to replicate at ~ 30MPH. Make sure you are in 5th gear and consistently traveling at ~35-40MPH in 5th gear not 6th (don’t use manual shifting) for about 1-2 miles. When you begin to slow down at about 30MPH the car will downshift to 4th, when you feel the down shift to multiply the effect of the bump give it a little gas and you will get the desired replication. To add more effect add an uphill accent while slowing at 30MPH and a tap on the gas pedal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #49 of 296 Old 08-20-2008
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2005 V6
Is VW going to put out a "SB" on this?

Has anybody been able to figure out when this problem starts to rear it's ugly head. Mileage? Motor type? Age?

Cya

'08 Ford Edge Limited White/Black
'08 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Limited V8 White/Black
'90 VW Jetta GL 5sp. Blue/Blue
post #50 of 296 Old 08-20-2008
Touareg Enthusiast

Mine started happening at 43,000km. It's a 2004. Owned it since about 27,000km. Always took care of her, let the turbos cool down, and not many from stop launches (perhaps 3 times)...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode