Transmission-Hard Down Shift - Page 3 - Club Touareg Forums
 1Likes

post #21 of 296 Old 08-08-2007
Administrator

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Are you already over the powertrain warranty? (EDIT: nevermind, I see you say you have 113k in your sig.)

Touareg Audio Accessories - Keyless Start - Paddle Shift ==>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 296 Old 08-08-2007

Wow, this problem is scaring me - but isn't 113k miles a bit outside of the tiptronic warranty period? I recall an earlier problem with some other VW's with paint contamination in the valve body, wonder if this is the same issue... Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick17 View Post
Ouch!

Dealer diagnosed the exact same issue today, and stated that I need a new tranny @ $8.3k US. Told me that current flash s/w doesn't resolve issue.

My wife and I (and now daughter with the 2007 Rabbit) have been driving 8 different Audi/VWs since 1985. I've averaged well in excess of 35k miles per year with five of them. This is the first time I have ever had a issue of this magnitude. My VW/AUDI dealer of 22 years is trying on my behalf to negotiate a VWoA $$ contribution to the replacement, or trade assistance to upgrade to an '08. If this is not settled to my satisfaction, I will never purchase an Audi or VW again.

My Loyalty to VW/Audi:
1969 Beetle(College Years 1980-1983)
1985 GTI
1988 Audi 80
1998 Audi A6
2001 New Beetle
2003 New Beetle Cabriolet
2004 Touareg V6
2005 Audi TT 2.0 Quatrro
2007 Rabbit

2004 Touareg V6
post #23 of 296 Old 08-08-2007

Same here but only two times happened,after installing all the latest updates.My car was connected but there were no faults recorded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 296 Old 08-09-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick17 View Post
Ouch!

Dealer diagnosed the exact same issue today, and stated that I need a new tranny @ $8.3k US......If this is not settled to my satisfaction, I will never purchase an Audi or VW again.
Having been one of the very first to experience transmission failure, I would recommend that Touareg owners sell at the first sign of trans trouble or when the warranty expires.

I was quoted almost the exact same price for trans repair and that does not include additional driveline problems generated by the harsh shifting (differential spider gears, propshaft, etc).

The total outlay for driveline repairs could reach $12k to $15k, raising your investment in a $50k vehicle to $65k at the same time it's market value is plummeting due to fuel costs and on-going quality/reliability issues.

Get out while you can.
post #25 of 296 Old 08-09-2007

Expedite the software updates if you are near the warranty expiration. If they don't work, the transmission may be fried. The next step is to look for metal in the trans. See my other post. My transmission was replaced near the warranty limit. I got lucky by finding the right dealer

reprogrammer
post #26 of 296 Old 08-29-2007

Send a message via AIM to Uwinferno
Has anyone found a solution for this problem?

Car worked great for a good 6 months but now I have the hard down shift from 5 to 4 with a loud thud and jerk.

I have an 04' V8 with 37,000k on it.

The dealership says this is driver discomfort. This is not a normal sound and can't be good for the car.

I even sent this email thread stating the problem and possible solutions. They refuse to acknoledge that this problem exist.

Volkswagen of America is involved and have no clue how to fix this problem.

Does anyone have a name of a dealership that has dealt and fixed this problem?

At this point, my only answer would be an independant tranny shop. BTW. Is the transmission a part of the 5/60k power train warranty?

Please help.

Thanks.

Off Road Gray V8...regular at the service departement...He's over there saying Hi! to them right now...
post #27 of 296 Old 08-29-2007
Supporting Member

Touareg: 2009 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Garage
I had this issue on my V10, it was diagnosed as Faulty Valves in the transmission. VW made the tech's do the Following before arriving at the Valves:-
Drop oil pan change filter and Oil ( No Change)
Do full Software update ( No Change )
Replace Transmission valve Body ( New Car Sensation )

My car spent a lot of time in the shop over this issue but once the Valve body was changed out , perfect!

Range Rover Sport SVD8 ,R50 R50 Biscay Blue gone, Had V10 TDi with everything,AUDI Allroad 2.7T Chipped sold, Audi TT Quattro TDi Sold , Audi SQ5 driven by my better half, BMW R1200GSW.
post #28 of 296 Old 08-29-2007
Supporting Member

Garage
Just another note on the transmission, I have noticed that since the 90D7 recall and the transmission update, the torque converter slips way more . I don't like this, I suppose this has been programmed in to make the box less stressed, but in my opinion is very slushish.

Range Rover Sport SVD8 ,R50 R50 Biscay Blue gone, Had V10 TDi with everything,AUDI Allroad 2.7T Chipped sold, Audi TT Quattro TDi Sold , Audi SQ5 driven by my better half, BMW R1200GSW.
post #29 of 296 Old 11-06-2007

Auto valve body replaced but problem remained

My Touareg has the 5th to 4th harsh downshift under little load. Usually coming off a highway, going up hill. I had the auto valve body replaced under warranty and although better, the problem still exists.

Have others had the auto valve replaced with the problem lingering? Any possible solutions?
post #30 of 296 Old 11-06-2007
Supporting Member

Garage
I did a lot of searching when this occurred to mine, and did not find any other conditions that I can recall. The other areas could be drive line backlash, ie: Diff, CV joints, transfer case etc.I was worried that the hash down change could have effected other areas of the transmission drive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode