Transmission-Hard Down Shift - Page 2 - Club Touareg Forums
 1Likes

post #11 of 296 Old 10-31-2006
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: VW Bus
Two weeks ago they replaced some actuator in the rear differential. Helped clear many of the symptoms, but not all of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v10touareg

Reading this yesterday prompted me to call VW direct and complain. The operator on the line told me that she is going to look into the issue and will contact me in 24 hours with a solution.

I have to question what physical damage is happening to my drivetrane every time this happens. I don't know about you guys, but this is an extremely violent experience, as though I just rear ended another car at 60 mph. It is really scary.
Yes, it can indeed be violent. And the thing is, it is intermittent. Nearly as I can tell, it is more likely to happen when stopping on a hill (either up or downward), or accelleration from a steady-state and within a specific gear. Fifth gear is the easiest gear for me to "demonstrate" the slamming.

As for internal damage, all I know is that it sounds horrible. I've already had every stinking piece but the read diff changed. It seems to correct certain segments of the problem, but not all.

Honestly, I think the problem cascaded down to the entire driveline. Even if it was once the stepper, the constant shocks beat the sh*t out of the following gears, ruining them.

I AM READY TO DRIVE THIS THING THROUGH VW'S HQ!!!!!

2004 VW Touareg V8 w/air, DVD nav & peeling buttons
Mobile Amateur Radio - W3JY
IC-2080h D*/Radiall glass mounts/TT4 APRS + IC-7000/SG-303/SG-235/SG-500/PTC-IIP3

2003 Audi Allroad 2.7T # 1978 VW Westfalia Deluxe

1978 Westy is on the road again with a rebuilt autoshifter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 296 Old 10-31-2006
Touareg Addict

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Still looking
I have had the same harsh downshift into fourth that seems to be being described here. Tonight on the way home, I watched the MFI on an off-ramp that it routinely does it on, and was surprised that the MFI indicator jumped directly from 6th to 4th while coasting up the off-ramp. According to the MFI, it completely skipped 5th, and the downshift was pretty harsh. I don't know if the described software update addresses this or not, but I plan on bringing this up with my dealer soon, as I'm at 20K miles and need to get the service done.

I'd keep an eye on the MFI if you have somewhere that repeaedly causes that harsh coasting downshift to see if it behaves like this.

Hope this helps,
Matt

Gone, but never forgotten: 2005 V6, Shadow Blue/Kristal Grey, Package 1 (Xenons/Sound 1)

Bye bye Blue...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #13 of 296 Old 10-31-2006

I have experienced some touaregs with faulty auto tranmission valve bodies. I have replaced 2 on V10's and one on a V8. There is no fault logged when it happens. It feels like the car slams into gear, there is a loud bang and it feels like the engine is about to fall out. Valve bodies have cured this on all 3 vehicles. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 296 Old 11-01-2006
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoozieNZ
I have experienced some touaregs with faulty auto tranmission valve bodies. I have replaced 2 on V10's and one on a V8. There is no fault logged when it happens. It feels like the car slams into gear, there is a loud bang and it feels like the engine is about to fall out. Valve bodies have cured this on all 3 vehicles. Hope this helps.
Been there, done that, got the valve body. That is sooooo five repairs ago

Seriously, that's propably a good place to look for shifting woes. In my case though, whatever started the drivetrain damage cascaded through the entire system, damaging each component along the way.

Not only am I getting the occassional "slam" but something very strange happens with my stopping on a hill. As the transmission downshifts into each gear, it feels like a new, 16yo driver with a clutch. (This is strange in of itself, why not remain in whatever gear until it stops as with conventional autos?)

Heading up to North Penn to see my bud Ralph the Touareg man today. We'll see... I feel like I spend more time with them than my wife.

IC-2080h D*/Radiall glass mounts/TT4 APRS + IC-7000/SG-303/SG-235/SG-500/PTC-IIP3

post #15 of 296 Old 11-01-2006

You guys have described my symptoms to a tee.

It is always intermittent...

It always seems to happen on a hill, obviously when slowing or accelerating...

It now shifts into first gear while coasting to a stop like someone who doesn't know how to drive a stick shift… This started about 60 days ago…

This is obviously not an isolated situation based on our driving habits.
post #16 of 296 Old 11-05-2006

Touareg Transmission slams

2004 V6 owner. Just found this site by searching for "touareg transmission problems". VERY INTERESTING to read this as my dealer gave me the "I have know idea what you are talking about" look. Our symptom is that when going up hill, typically at exactly 30 mpg, the car slams a gear and it feels like you hit a tree. I actually wrenched my thumb on the wheel today when it happened as we all lurched forward. It is begining to happen at other speeds, like on the highway, and it's equally violent. Everyone in the car asks if we were hit from behind. This is scary, and now I'm ticked to read that my dealer should have heard about this, as they "checked the car out" for an entire day and did nothing except say they found no faults.
post #17 of 296 Old 11-05-2006
Touareg Enthusiast

North Penn disappointed me last week. I wrote an extensive email to the service advisor describing the stopping-on-a-hill problem with the gear slam.

He did not pass it along to Ralph the ubertech. As it happened, a VW engineer was visiting from Detroit - and he had a German engineer with him.

Since the SA didn't report my symptom, they claimed the steady-state gear lash problem "was just lke my own 07!" and never bother to try to find the downshift trouble.

Now I am getting really pissed. It's like driving a worn out Buick.

No, strike that. I've driven a worn out Buick with kick-ass 340 in it. The only thing it slammed was the gas guage needle.

post #18 of 296 Old 06-22-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoozieNZ
In February, after 45 continuous days in the shop, the Valve Body was replaced and I haven't had an issue since.
post #19 of 296 Old 06-22-2007
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Same issue...same cure.

I brought my Touareg in and took my tech for a test drive. I had done my home work and was prepared, but no need. He immediately told me it was the valve body and that he had replaced 2 of them on other Touaregs. He ordered my part and it arrived the next day and was in my Touareg the day after that.

Now she shifts gears like the day I first brought her home.

Head On! Apply Directly to the forehead!
post #20 of 296 Old 08-08-2007

Unhappy Me too...

Ouch!

Dealer diagnosed the exact same issue today, and stated that I need a new tranny @ $8.3k US. Told me that current flash s/w doesn't resolve issue.

My wife and I (and now daughter with the 2007 Rabbit) have been driving 8 different Audi/VWs since 1985. I've averaged well in excess of 35k miles per year with five of them. This is the first time I have ever had a issue of this magnitude. My VW/AUDI dealer of 22 years is trying on my behalf to negotiate a VWoA $$ contribution to the replacement, or trade assistance to upgrade to an '08. If this is not settled to my satisfaction, I will never purchase an Audi or VW again.

My Loyalty to VW/Audi:
1969 Beetle(College Years 1980-1983)
1985 GTI
1988 Audi 80
1998 Audi A6
2001 New Beetle
2003 New Beetle Cabriolet
2004 Touareg V6
2005 Audi TT 2.0 Quatrro
2007 Rabbit

2004 Reed Green Touareg V6, Cricket, Nav,113k miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode