Transmission and differential fluid change - Page 3 - Club Touareg Forums
 8Likes

post #21 of 46 Old 02-14-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2005 V8
I used OEM fluids for diffs and transfer case with Mobil 3309 for the transmission. Have drained and filled the transmission a number of times now and shifting super smooth.
The Following User Says Thank You to voortreger For This Useful Post:
Gnits (02-14-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 46 Old 02-15-2019 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 R5 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Another relevant articles with a lot of useful information, including typical failure reasons of the transmission, albeit in Russian. Translations are a little bit rough, but readable.

https://translate.googleusercontent..../3856417&tl=en
https://translate.googleusercontent..../4186932&tl=en

In case you're wondering what "razdatke" is which Google fails to translate: it's the transfer case/box.

The guy also has blog posts on some other issues he encountered with his Touareg, all similarly detailed, so, it might be worth to look at those, too, if interested.
post #23 of 46 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Touareg: 2009 V6
TurboABA I recently had my 2009 Touareg transmission fluid and filter changed by factory trained VW technician and we used the Meyle filter and gasket kit along with new drain and fill plug washers. I had him install Valvoline MaxLife Full Synthetic which if it meets your specs is the best ATF on the market. There are many of the local VW owners using this fluid with no problems reported by anyone so far. Some vehicles have 60 to 80K kilometers since changes were done.
More on topic of your particular post this is the first transmission service this Touareg ever had and it had 416,000km when the service was done, fluid was slightly dark but not burnt and the filter was clean as could be (which it should be unless there is an issue inside the transmission)
I've been using Valvoline MaxLIfe ATF in vehicles since it came on the market and so far have never had any trouble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 46 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
"Best transmission oil on the market", "no problems reported by anyone so far", "meyle filter" "fluid slightly dark" "never had any trouble"

These are all phrases that bother me when folks believe in a product so much they can't even see past the bottle. They mean nothing. "so far never had any problems", well Ok. So I suppose it's good? This is a very subjective comment not backed up by anything such as science or even an oil analysis. This oil is probably fine but I doubt anything anymore special than anything else out there. I don't recommend oils. But I do recommend using OEM parts. Oils turn dark after use. I have used OEM fluid, Fuchs 4400 and Motul Multi-ATF in this transmission. I also change every 40K miles. Anything with the spec for this Aisin transmission will be fine. Vavoline may be a full synthetic but I highly doubt it's the best on the Market. That's a big claim for high mileage ATF fluid.

I noticed nothing different between all 3 oils, OEM, Fuchs to Motul. OEM is probably made by Fuchs anyway. Motul has a better oil overall, 100% Ester synthetic including it's additive package. Vavoline is most likely only 70% max synthetic. If I were to use a ATF off the shelf, it would be Mobil 1.

Folks, this oil will be fine but I would not be dumping your OEM (fuchs or other) for it. Also use OEM parts. Meyle is not a high quality parts company. I only use OEM parts on this car. Higher cost but higher quality compared to aftermarket unless the aftermarket is the OEM part such as TRW or Lemforder (German made parts).

10' TDI
post #25 of 46 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Touareg: 2009 V6
alfissimo As a licensed automotive service technician of 38 years with many of those in BMW, Mercedes & Maserati dealers all I have to say is everyone is entitled to their opinion. I use Mobil 1 in my engine but my personal experience with Valvoline MaxLife ATF is that is is as good as Mobil if not better. Like I said just my opinion. My subjectivity comes from years of experience with the product in many applications, I'm clearly able to "see past the bottle" sir.
I also spent a number of my years at an OEM Japanese manufacturer head office testing garage and be careful how confident you are on your OEM references as these can be different based on the manufacturing location , especially fluids and filters. Many OEM automotive companies will source these near their factories to reduce cost and they are sourced based on specifications that meet or exceed OEM. (same as the aftermarket parts)
There are parts on any vehicle that I would absolutely not use anything but OEM, however filters, fluids, brakes and tires are not in that group.
Bottom line is 'To each their own'
post #26 of 46 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Every is entitled to their opinion for sure.

I try to avoid oil conversations as much as I can. I just do not think stating "have had no issues yet" is something that can back up a product and gives folks a false idea of the product performance and quality. Sure it may be the best oil but these days most oils are "good" in the synthetic range with a well known brand and to the spec needed. it will do it's job.

I also have many years of experience with Alfa Romeo. I am very careful on OEM references. As noted, for example, OEM fluid is most likely FUCHS. A lot of OEM parts are not made by the Manufacturer of the vehicle. Most of us know this. I have sold parts for over 20 years. I do not use OEM filters from Alfa Romeo anymore due to the fact they are not made in China. OEM oil filters for the Touareg are MANN or MAHLE. I'd buy the filter in there box any day of the week without an issue. I'd also buy Pagid pads in their box. Tires? Well never thought of those as an OEM part. Fluids, well depends on the car. In some higher end Audi's for example, I will use OEM only. Period. In an Alfa Romeo, I will use what we know works well and has not caused any failures to our customers. I use Selenia oils mostly or Motul. Do I know what is the best on the market? NO! I am not sure anyone does. It's all opinion some based on experience some nothing but brand loyalty.

Choosing the proper oil is key. If you don't know, choose OEM but I hesitate to ever say an oil is the best on the market. That's a HUGE claim that cannot be backed up. Your experience vs. mine or anyone else's is also very subjective. We have no idea how good or bad a technician you are or I am for that matter. You may have this experience noted above but it may not give you the expertise of an engineer and chemist in the oil industry specific to engines and transmissions.

I don't claim to know what oil is the best nor the best oil for this Aisin transmission. The safe thing is always OEM or even ASIN ATF for this transmission. Again this is why I never recommend oils or get involved in oil conversations as much as possible.

To Each their own works. Buy what you can afford, make sure it has the proper spec and change it when needed. Use OEM parts unless you know the manufacturer and can purchase it in their box for less. If you don't know, choose OEM, always! No confusion or concern with issues.

10' TDI
post #27 of 46 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Touareg: 2006 V6
Second Vehicle: Other
I used Valvoline MaxLife MV ATF and an ATP filter kit.
40,000km later, still great!

2006 V6 Black Touareg | 297,000km
post #28 of 46 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechJim View Post
More on topic of your particular post this is the first transmission service this Touareg ever had and it had 416,000km when the service was done, fluid was slightly dark but not burnt and the filter was clean as could be (which it should be unless there is an issue inside the transmission)
I must've missed this post. So your unite went 400k on the OEM fluid?
post #29 of 46 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Well VW do say the box is sealed for life!

Perhaps they are right and the rest of us that promote regular transmission fluid changes are wrong!

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
post #30 of 46 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
I hope I understood that correctly. I'm not sure that I would feel comfortable leaving the OEM fluid in there for lifetime, but I would certainly be OK leaving it for 160k if there are people who leave it for 400k and don't have any issues.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode