Trans shift - or lack of when cold - Club Touareg Forums

Old 11-06-2017 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2015 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Trans shift - or lack of when cold

Hi guys

Got a 2015 touareg r-line 3.0 v6 witht he 8 speed trans.

Now the weather has got colder, I seem to getting some gremlins sheltering from the cold in the transmission.

The car struggles to change from 3rd to 4th gear when cold and sometimes struggles from 2nd to 3rd too. It's odd because the dash display shows what gear the car should be in, but the revs are high and it certainly isn't in 5th or 6th gear.

I kind of know when this is likely to happen because about 10 seconds after setting off, I get a strange 'humming' noise from somewhere (guessing the trans). The hum lasts about 10 seconds and I never hear it again after that.

When the car is warm, the gear changes are fine.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2017
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Try a gearbox reset.

Turn the ignition on but do NOT start the car.

Press the accelerator pedal firmly to the floor and hold it there for a full 10 seconds.

Release the pedal, turn the ignition off and remove the key.

If no improvement your 2015 car should still be under warranty, so take it back to the dealer and arrange for them to keep it for a couple of days having left it parked outside in the colder weather we now might be getting.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
Old 11-06-2017
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
Mileage? If over 50,000 you might want to try changing the transmission oil.

If this was a T1/T2, I would test the external ATF thermostat that is in-line with the external ATF cooler, but these were removed in the T3... so that can not be the problem in a 2015.

If the problem continues after the fluid change, you will need to determine if the valve body is going bad.

If your 2015 is still under warranty, let VW deal with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2017 Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I've booked it in with VW. It was worth asking to see if anyone else has had similar symptoms. I couldn't find any after a thorough search.

Hopefully this won't be one of those circumstances that 'isn't covered by warranty'.
Old 11-30-2017

Second Vehicle: Other
Same issue on our '15

Any follow-up after you went to VW? Our '15 was slow to upshift when tranny cold from 3 to 4 ever since the car was new. Took it back in '15, but dealer said no problem, so lived with it. Now with new emissions fix, when tranny is cold it will not shift from 3-4 or 4-5 automatically. Making arrangements to take it back. Once warm it performs flawlessly.
Old 12-04-2017 Thread Starter

Hi,

I took the car into VW and told them about the symptoms. They did all their usual checks (so i'm told) including transmission fluid levels etc, and all looked good. I also asked them to check for any software updates. It turns out there was one, which they subsequently applied. After driving it though, i honestly can't tell any difference. It's still slow to change gear when cold and revs in excess of 3000rpm. Once its warmed up, it's fine.

On a different note, I started the car this morning and was met with a barrage of warnings - the first of which disappeared quickly before I could fully read it, but Gearbox fault was the first one! The second was either traction control or stability management, and the third was an issue with the stop/start system. I turned off the engine, turned it back on again, and all was well this time. I've just been out and started it again - no warnings.

There is obviously something underlying here...
Old 12-04-2017
Touareg Guru

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk25 View Post
On a different note, I started the car this morning and was met with a barrage of warnings - .
^^That is usually what happens when your battery voltage drops too low while the starter is turning over.

Yes, it is normal that if you let it run for as little as 30 seconds then restart, that the errors go away.

Either you had pulled a lot of juice out of your battery recently (without enough time for the engine to recharge it) or your battery is getting close to the end of it's useful life.
Old 12-04-2017 Thread Starter

@nickyt - That makes sense... I noticed when i got in the car this morning that one of the kids had left the interior lights on overnight. I guess that would explain that. I have a 60 mile commute to work so that probably gave it a good charge.
Old 12-04-2017
Touareg Guru

Garage
Yes. That would explain it. I have had similiar problems when I ran the battery down. After a good charge, everything is good again.
Old 12-05-2017

Second Vehicle: Other
TK25 - thanks for reply. I can't bring myself to letting a cold engine rev to 3,000 to shift, so I manually help it and like yours, when it's warm, it's flawless. It's going in for a 90K service in a month or so, will see if they can do anything at that point. I have received the same messages since I've had the car. I've never run the battery down, but I suppose voltage is an explanation, not sure why - I drive the car every day, nothing can be left on with computer shutting off lights after a few minutes. Best of luck with yours - love ours, just wish the tranny would act as good cold as it does warm. Happy holidays.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in