Trans shift - or lack of when cold - Page 3 - Club Touareg Forums

post #21 of 29 Old 01-19-2018

Touareg: 2015 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
tk25 - mine is actually at dealer today for DEF/Ad-Blu heater replacement, and transmission shifting when cold issue. The Service Manager had the opportunity to test another TReg, I believe a '16, and it had the same characteristics when shifting between 3-4 cold, not as bad as mine. He is contacting VW of America to dig more into programming that may be affecting it. I suspect there's a temp sensor in the tranny separate from the engine temp that gives feedback to the computer to tell it the shift-points, and either the sensor, computer or shift mechanism is not acting properly.

More if I hear anything today when I pick it up and please keep us posted on how you make out with your next visit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 Old 01-20-2018
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
mine never shifts hard but the converter stays unlocked until the trans has reached a desired temp....this is actually a feature built into the aisin 8spd to quickly warm the fluid. It is a non issue if it holds higher revs, mine usually is 5-8 mins of driving then will lock and be normal.

2012 Highline Touareg v6 TDI - 8spd - Silver - Weathertechs - Buzzken Downpipe/Dpf/Scr Pipes - Hybrid 2260 - 4 Bar Map - JR Auto Performance/Buzzken Stage 3 Tune - 31 BFG k02s - Cayenne Trans Coding - Gutted/Painted Muffler - Full Led Swap - EGR Cooler Delete
post #23 of 29 Old 01-22-2018 Thread Starter

Second Vehicle: is not a VW
@tdimark69 - If this is the case and it is in fact a non-issue, it's horrible. It doesn't feel right and doesn't seem right that a cold engine (freezing in some cases) should be exposed to revs exceeding 3k just to change from 3rd to 4th when normal shift points should be 1700 (ish) rpm. But then, I'm not a trans engineer either. I've driven many autos though and none have done this, or feel as horrible knowing it's not shifting when it should.

I also don't understand why the display on the dash would indicate 5th and 6th gear in some cases, yet the car is still in 3rd (you can tell by the speed/revs).

Anyway, I guess i'll learn more tomorrow when i take it in. Maybe the day after if they want it overnight. Perhaps it is meant to stay in gear longer in 3rd to 4th, but I honestly don't think it should to those extremes.

@Ranjr13 - Interesting that the 16 model had similar characteristics. Wonder if our cayenne friends have a similar 'feature' Your point about the temp sensor makes perfect sense to me and sounds entirely plausible. I don't think this is a mechanical fault, more electrics governed. I can't change into 4th gear using the paddles when at 3k rpm in third. Some sort of electric governer is saying 'not right now, sir! when i'm ready!'

EDIT:- @tdimark69 - Just noticed in your signature you have Cayenne trans coding. Maybe one for when the warranty expires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 29 Old 01-22-2018
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk25 View Post
@tdimark69 - If this is the case and it is in fact a non-issue, it's horrible. It doesn't feel right and doesn't seem right that a cold engine (freezing in some cases) should be exposed to revs exceeding 3k just to change from 3rd to 4th when normal shift points should be 1700 (ish) rpm. But then, I'm not a trans engineer either. I've driven many autos though and none have done this, or feel as horrible knowing it's not shifting when it should.

I also don't understand why the display on the dash would indicate 5th and 6th gear in some cases, yet the car is still in 3rd (you can tell by the speed/revs).

Anyway, I guess i'll learn more tomorrow when i take it in. Maybe the day after if they want it overnight. Perhaps it is meant to stay in gear longer in 3rd to 4th, but I honestly don't think it should to those extremes.

@Ranjr13 - Interesting that the 16 model had similar characteristics. Wonder if our cayenne friends have a similar 'feature' Your point about the temp sensor makes perfect sense to me and sounds entirely plausible. I don't think this is a mechanical fault, more electrics governed. I can't change into 4th gear using the paddles when at 3k rpm in third. Some sort of electric governer is saying 'not right now, sir! when i'm ready!'

EDIT:- @tdimark69 - Just noticed in your signature you have Cayenne trans coding. Maybe one for when the warranty expires.
No its not staying in 3rd...if it says its in 5th or 6th its in 5th or 6th...The transmission is not stupid nor does it lie about gear display....If you had listened to what i said you would have read it is in 5th or 6th...the rpms are higher because the torque converter isnt fully locked...to heat the transmission quicker to reduced unneeded wear on the trans. You may have driven lots of autos but have you drove lots of 8spds?...ones that are built to withstand over 600ftlbs of torque?.....this is not a standard auto it has a great deal of tech and the engineers know better what protects it...honestly its all of 3-5 mins when its cold before it locks the converter and its business as usually its really not that big of deal. Cheaper then prematurely wearing out your expensive transmission

This is 2018...after the first 5-10 seconds the engine is fully oiled and there is no harm in revving this engine to 3000 rpm when its cold. INFACT diesels actually like higher revs when cold to heat the engine faster, diesels do not like to be cold.

2012 Highline Touareg v6 TDI - 8spd - Silver - Weathertechs - Buzzken Downpipe/Dpf/Scr Pipes - Hybrid 2260 - 4 Bar Map - JR Auto Performance/Buzzken Stage 3 Tune - 31 BFG k02s - Cayenne Trans Coding - Gutted/Painted Muffler - Full Led Swap - EGR Cooler Delete
post #25 of 29 Old 01-25-2018

Second Vehicle: Other
Still frustrated/aggrivated with fix

So our Touareg was in last Friday for a DEF/Ad-Blu heater replacement (warranty/recall) and they videoed the tach while testing the new higher rpms. Their report stated they were reaching out to VW of America to have a QTM (Quality Technical Manager) view. After nothing back in a couple days, I called and opened a complaint case w/VW of America. I explained that this was likely due to the software fix, as the language on VW's website says that slight rpm changes may be observed when shifting. My engine used to shift between all gears 1,800-2,000, now at a minimum is 2,500rpms when cold, sometimes higher.

Today they responded in writing that "...there are no further repairs to be done at this time" and that the shifting when cold is now the new normal. Basically it's okay to rev your motor when ice cold. I don't care what generation diesel or gas engine, you don't do your engine any good by doing that. My day job is a GM of a large (100+) fleet of late model heavy trucks.

I've also done the homework to find three potential appellate bodies/agencies - the plaintiff counsel (lots of activity on the Audi forum about using them), the independent review supervisor appointed by the judge, and a claims review committee appointed by the judge. I intend to file official complaints based upon the fact that in the approved judgement, VW agreed that any fix would not affect performance, and that a slight change in rpms might be noticed. 25 to 50% is not in any definition of "slight" so I hope they will see that this programming change is not in line with the court approved fix. These will be sent registered tomorrow. Will update this site if I get anywhere. As I said, there is more of a stink on the fix going on over at the Audi forums.
post #26 of 29 Old 01-25-2018
Touareg Enthusiast

2500 rpm on this engine cold or hot is not hurting anything..paranoia sure is present tho

post #27 of 29 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Hi there,

Just to add to the story:

I got a V10 Touareg with a 6-speed transmission and I have the same problem when the temperature is rather low:

- High revolution and sluggish gear change in the first minutes of driving.
- Gear change from 4 to 5 without lowering the rpm.

I noticed that if the outside temperature is above 18c, no matter if the engine is cold or not, the car is extremely smooth and quiet, and sounds like a tractor if below it.

My guess is also that this is happening at software level and most probability has nothing to do with the mechanical parts.

Maybe tricking the temperature sensor will prove it right.
post #28 of 29 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
I have read somewhere that the "fix" is trying to heat up the engine faster so it holds the lower gears longer. Once the emissions system/engine is up to operating temps the tranny gets to shift normally. Makes sense,but frustrating. There is a fix on the "fix" that resets the tranny to the original settings. Probably illegal,don't try it in Ca. LOL They might kill you.
post #29 of 29 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
The transmission reset can be done easily: (in youtube search for "DIY Touareg Throttle Reset").

That's a tiny bit of help but does not override the heat up procedure completely.

Thanks though for the reply.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode