Rough idle 4 hours after cold start - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 11 Old 09-10-2018 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Garage
Rough idle 4 hours after cold start

Hi guys. New to forum. I own a 2013 v6 Treg. We have owned since purchasing from local dealed for 3 weeks ago. 160k on the clock. Starts beautifully every morning approx 10deg cel in Australia. My wife takes kids to school does some shopping and parkes back in the garage at about 10am. Runs like a drea all day long.But.... Like clock work she starts the car at 5pm and it runs lime bucket of bolts. Stutters and seems like it runs on 5 cylinders for about a minute and then cleara out. Any ideas its driving me crazy.?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-10-2018
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: Other
Garage
Hi Mike,
Welcome to the forums. Seems like the problem you described is a common problem with the Tregs. First off...do you have Vag Com that you can use to look at live data and look for any misfires @ start up? Second... Do you have a gasser or diesel?

I'm no expert on this but have done searching around on here and other sites to get a better understanding as to what causes this.

Now for one thing these Tregs will @ cold starts sound a little noisy for the first 45 seconds or so... I've read that this is normal for these rigs. Something to do with oil pressure building up in that time.

As far as stuttering it could be a couple of things.
1- Plugs/ Ignition Coils might need to be changed (if they haven't been already).
2- Carbon buildup on the back of the intake valves.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-10-2018
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Diesel or petrol?

Please update your user profile with year, model and location.

How far is the skool?

Wonder if it's not going far enough so tomorrow tell the skool bus driver to add 20 miles to the journey on her way home in the morning and give the car some welly and then see how it fires up later.

Do you have a warranty?

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-10-2018 Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks guys. Its a diesel 3.0l with 166000km. Im not sure about warrantee. Im checking this out at the moment. Ill keep u posted. Its booked in today to be looked at by the dealer. Its logged no codes so its hard to determine any cause.

post #5 of 11 Old 09-10-2018 Thread Starter

Garage
And also i di not have Vag com. Is this an app or is it a obd tool that is purchased?

post #6 of 11 Old 09-10-2018
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: Other
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miketahin2013touareg View Post
And also i di not have Vag com. Is this an app or is it a obd tool that is purchased?

Yes it's an OBD II port tool sold by Ross Tech. It's definitely worth having in your "toolbox" if you plan on hanging onto your Treg for a while.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-10-2018 Thread Starter

Garage
Cool. Ill get online and purchase it. I will be very interested to see what the outcome is when it gets back from the dealer and if they will cover under warranty. I was actually thinking an injector leaking. Though the oil pressure build up could be it as well. As i mentioned cold starts are fine every morning. Its only after sitting in the garage most of the day after 10-15km drive when ambient temperature has risen and car has sat for a few hours then on start up un rough idles varying 200-300 rpm up and down and just feels like its dropping a cylinder for a while till it warms up. Ill post this arvi when i hopefully get it back 👍

post #8 of 11 Old 09-10-2018
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Repeated short distances like that are the worst possible scenario for any diesel vehicle. The car isn't getting properly warmed up.

You should be running a gasser for journeys like that.

I suspect it needs a bloody good run of 50 miles at speed to clear it's throat.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
post #9 of 11 Old 09-10-2018 Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks again. I probably should be clearer. I have also on the weekends taken it for.a god run up the motorway for a run and driven for a good hour and cleaned it out on the on ramps. Take it home around 10am and then on restart at approx 5 pm does the same thing on start up.

post #10 of 11 Old 09-11-2018 Thread Starter

Garage
Just an update. I picked up from dealer this arvo. That advised me that they noticed a fault while testing but it didnt log a code. The service assistant advised that it may be dirty fuel and that they needed to replace the air filter , fuel filter and add a "fuel addative"? I found this interesting as i replaced the air filter with a genuine one on saturday. Not sure who did the checking. I drove 80km plus home this arvo at 5pm and have now parked in garage and ill start it up again at 10pm. No doubt it will fault again for me....very fustrated. 😠

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode