planning to go with engine oil 10W40 for T1 V8 - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 9 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2005 V8
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Question planning to go with engine oil 10W40 for T1 V8

Hi,
now before everyone will start pointing about VW oil standards that im aware of please see these photo first
long story short: im using diesel powered AIR compressor for my sandblasting equipment for almost 4 years now non stop and on its max power, but the engine is cooled by oil/air. so the operating temps are high, for this engine I've always used Wurth 10W40 engine oil form day one of my ownership, few weeks ago oil pan gasket started to leak very few oil and i've decided to change it and everyone was very very surprised what we saw in there after we took the pan off, NOTHING!!! except of the spotless engine with ZERO sludge and everything was like new despite the fact that it already have 2100 working hours on clock.
for the touareg i was using 5W40 mobil and have no issues other that when in opening the oil cup i can see little bit of the golden colored ''sludge'' bot nothing critical, changing oil every 8-9k kms
so as this Wurth oil so so good at keeping the engine parts so clean im planing using it for my Touareg V8 AXQ. I've checked the oil specs and its vw 505.00 and 501.01, ACEA A3/B4, API SL/CF.
what you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0252.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	658.8 KB
ID:	222295   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0255.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	542.5 KB
ID:	222297  

Name:	IMG_0253.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	568.2 KB
ID:	222299  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
That engine looks new. If they make that oil in 5W40 or 5W30, you might want to consider that first.

I am happy with both OW and 5W as a choice and the Mobil 1 OW40 shears quickly to about a 30 weight oil, so basically you are running a OW32 pretty quick with that oil, per BobIsTheOilGuy forums. So far all I have ran is the Mobil 1 OW40 and all I have is a light honey colored internal engine with no visible crud buildup.

I have never had a problem going from a lower number such as a 0W or 5W up to 10W, but I don't need to ever start at -35 degrees.

So, as long as extreme cold is not an issue, it would work in my experience.

Of course, we are skipping past all the discussion of how long and how good and bearing wear and all that stuff that could turn this into a 100 page thread.

I have seen problems going from high weight oil such as 10W or 15W back to low weight oil. It seems to "sometimes" result in extra oil burn.

Makes since since I have seen people go up to 15W/50 oil when they were having oil usage problems, and the engine will burn off less oil.
post #3 of 9 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Touareg Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyt View Post
That engine looks new. If they make that oil in 5W40 or 5W30, you might want to consider that first.

I am happy with both OW and 5W as a choice and the Mobil 1 OW40 shears quickly to about a 30 weight oil, so basically you are running a OW32 pretty quick with that oil, per BobIsTheOilGuy forums. So far all I have ran is the Mobil 1 OW40 and all I have is a light honey colored internal engine with no visible crud buildup.

I have never had a problem going from a lower number such as a 0W or 5W up to 10W, but I don't need to ever start at -35 degrees.

So, as long as extreme cold is not an issue, it would work in my experience.

Of course, we are skipping past all the discussion of how long and how good and bearing wear and all that stuff that could turn this into a 100 page thread.

I have seen problems going from high weight oil such as 10W or 15W back to low weight oil. It seems to "sometimes" result in extra oil burn.

Makes since since I have seen people go up to 15W/50 oil when they were having oil usage problems, and the engine will burn off less oil.
thank you for you answer and mentioning important topics about weight and temperature,
according to my manual 5W40 or 5W30 is the recommended oil for my T1 V8, 0w40 is never mentioned, also when im comparing both 5w40 mobil 3000 and Wurth 10w40 thay seem very similar at the same temp and same bottle shape, my T1 is 99% in garage and in Georgia Tbilisi winter is very mild so not seeing and issue with the -40 morning starts Wurth do have 5W40 but its twice as expansive so thinking about 10W40
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoloz View Post
Hi,
now before everyone will start pointing about VW oil standards that im aware of please see these photo first
long story short: im using diesel powered AIR compressor for my sandblasting equipment for almost 4 years now non stop and on its max power, but the engine is cooled by oil/air. so the operating temps are high, for this engine I've always used Wurth 10W40 engine oil form day one of my ownership, few weeks ago oil pan gasket started to leak very few oil and i've decided to change it and everyone was very very surprised what we saw in there after we took the pan off, NOTHING!!! except of the spotless engine with ZERO sludge and everything was like new despite the fact that it already have 2100 working hours on clock.
for the touareg i was using 5W40 mobil and have no issues other that when in opening the oil cup i can see little bit of the golden colored ''sludge'' bot nothing critical, changing oil every 8-9k kms
so as this Wurth oil so so good at keeping the engine parts so clean im planing using it for my Touareg V8 AXQ. I've checked the oil specs and its vw 505.00 and 501.01, ACEA A3/B4, API SL/CF.
what you guys think?
Your engine calls for a 502.00 spec. Does the 505.00 automatically cover that, plus better?
post #5 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Touareg Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therion View Post
Your engine calls for a 502.00 spec. Does the 505.00 automatically cover that, plus better?
no it does not work in that way. there are few ways to describe oil ''standards'', for eg. according to my cars manual oil required is VW 500.00 505.01 and 502.00 but also ACEA A2 or A3 also API service SJ. now on most oil brands this info is available on the packaging to see is it meets your cars standards
Wurth 10W40 has this on its back VW505.00 and 501.01, ACEA A3/B4, API SL/CF
post #6 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago
Touareg Guru

Garage
Just looked at my manual. The manual for the AXQ engine said to use 5W40 preferred. 5W30 as the second choice. It says you can use a different viscosity, as long as they meet your local climate conditions. Usual disclaimer about using the correct VW/Audi spec.

Attached is a list of approved VW Audi spec oils for the North America market.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Audi-2017-Technical-Service-Bulletin-1.22.2018.pdf (354.5 KB, 10 views)
post #7 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoloz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therion View Post
no it does not work in that way. there are few ways to describe oil ''standards'', for eg. according to my cars manual oil required is VW 500.00 505.01 and 502.00 but also ACEA A2 or A3 also API service SJ. now on most oil brands this info is available on the packaging to see is it meets your cars standards
Wurth 10W40 has this on its back VW505.00 and 501.01, ACEA A3/B4, API SL/CF
The manual for my 2008 says that the V8 gasoline engine is to use 502.00 spec oil. It says you can use no more than half a quart of the ACEA whatever in an emergency top off type situation.
post #8 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Touareg Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyt View Post
Just looked at my manual. The manual for the AXQ engine said to use 5W40 preferred. 5W30 as the second choice. It says you can use a different viscosity, as long as they meet your local climate conditions. Usual disclaimer about using the correct VW/Audi spec.

Attached is a list of approved VW Audi spec oils for the North America market.
thank you, so according to this bulletin as long as it meets any of those standards its OK to use
post #9 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago
Touareg Guru

Garage
The thread below goes down the oil viscosity rabbit hole. It gives you a lot to consider.

Notice that the M1 OW40 is one of the few oils that does decent in the VQ35DE engine, superior to the M1 5W30.

my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/258663-vq-oil-analysis-and-info
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	414297d1501884683-vq-oil-analysis-and-info-uoachart.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	222505  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode