Loosing oil after oil change. - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 19 Old 08-19-2018 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Loosing oil after oil change.

I have a 2011 VR6 with 145K miles. After changing my oil, i get a low oil indicator alarm soon after driving 1500-2000 miles. The indicator asks to add 1-1.5 quartz oil. This happened twice where I top-off or add oil once or twice between oil changes.

The dealer told me that the engine burns more oil as it ages and will need to change oil more frequently, every 5K instead of 10K

Anyone experience the same issue and if so any solutions to consider ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-20-2018

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
I don't believe what the dealer says, should not be burning oil. Are you sure you filled it up correctly?
post #3 of 19 Old 08-20-2018
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
What type of oil are using? weight , synthetic ? You shouldn't burn that much between changes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 08-20-2018
Touareg Enthusiast

Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munz View Post
I have a 2011 VR6 with 145K miles. After changing my oil, i get a low oil indicator alarm soon after driving 1500-2000 miles. The indicator asks to add 1-1.5 quartz oil. This happened twice where I top-off or add oil once or twice between oil changes.

The dealer told me that the engine burns more oil as it ages and will need to change oil more frequently, every 5K instead of 10K

Anyone experience the same issue and if so any solutions to consider ?

I too own an '11 Treg gasser with ~76.5k on the clock, and have experienced the wonderful oil loss of these vehicles. I'm using Ravenol VMO 5W-40 which was changed ~1,500 miles ago along with a new OEM filter and new drain plug.

I've had to add oil 3 times so far when I noticed the "electronic dipstick" show the oil level was down to ticks from max. Granted it's not much each time, I think ~4oz. brings it back to max each time. So 12 oz. in 1,500 miles is not as much as you but still more than I think ANY vehicle should use. I posted in the thread below but have not yet received a response.

https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f...ml#post2009563
post #5 of 19 Old 08-20-2018

Touareg: 2007 V10 TDI
I would think if it was using 1.5 Q in 1500 miles it would have visible smoke from the exhaust and you would be able to smell it from the exhaust pipe. I would get a flashlight and get under it when its hot (or even cold) and look for anything wet around looking like oil. Have you seen any oil spots in your driveway?
post #6 of 19 Old 08-20-2018
Touareg Enthusiast

I would say the oil burn mentioned above is not normal, we have 11 VR6 with 110K and I change oil using Ravenol VMO 5w40, next oil change counter is under 2K and have not added any oil.

Electronic level still has 3 bars left.

For some reason VW engineers think some oil burn is ok but more than 1.5 quarts in 10K is excessive IMO
post #7 of 19 Old 08-20-2018

Interesting post. Using this to get to 15 messages.
post #8 of 19 Old 08-24-2018 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
What type of oil are using? weight , synthetic ? You shouldn't burn that much between changes.
5W40, synthetic. I agree I shouldn't be burning that much oil.Looking for help to understand the issue since the dealership's failed to tell me something that makes sense
post #9 of 19 Old 08-24-2018 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleton61 View Post
I would think if it was using 1.5 Q in 1500 miles it would have visible smoke from the exhaust and you would be able to smell it from the exhaust pipe. I would get a flashlight and get under it when its hot (or even cold) and look for anything wet around looking like oil. Have you seen any oil spots in your driveway?
Good thought, I checked and there was no oil residue found in the tail pipes and no smoke when running. The one thing I noticed is the smell of gasoline, out of exhaust, upon startup is now stronger than before.
post #10 of 19 Old 08-24-2018
Touareg Enthusiast

Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Garage
IMO the oil blow by occurs when you accelerate and the RPM's climb above 2.5K. Therefore you won't be able to see the smoke from the exhaust. The blow by might even be small enough on each acceleration that people behind you might not see it either.

In my case there is no oil residue/streaks of any kind all around the engine. It's bone dry. That leads me to believe that it coming out the exhaust... at least in my case.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode