post #12 of 19 Old 08-24-2018
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhifi View Post
we need dip sticks

Would definitely be nice as a backup to the electronic one, but I don't think it would change the fact that these vehicles lose/drink oil.
post #13 of 19 Old 02-04-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Second Vehicle: Still looking
New2Tregs any update on your oil loss ?

Our 2011 has all of a sudden, last 6 months, started to need oil added between changes. We have had the Treg since 44K and now at 109K, never went below the second from last tick on the electronic meter between changes and now I'm adding 1/3 quart every 1,000 miles to top off.

About 6 weeks ago I noticed it had dropped a couple of ticks, monitored it and stayed constant and then all of a sudden down a couple more ticks.

My wife drove from Rochester, NY to Columbus last weekend so I topped off before she left, checked both electronically and with dip stick, and when she got back yesterday it was down 4 ticks. this is only a roughly 720 miles RT.

With this type of oil loss I would expect if it was being burned through the engine I could get a black soot off the exhaust tips just by touching with my finger and even though there is a light carbo on outer edge it does not transfer to my finger.

My wife's commute is short and unfortunately I don't think in this colder weather the car fully warms up on any of the driving she does around our area and only on Fridays she goes longer distance, making the rounds checking out Marshalls/TJMaxx, and skiing on weekends so I am hoping we are not getting sludge buildup in the oil ring of the pistons causing oil to be left on the cylinder walls instead of flowing back through the tiny holes in piston behind oil ring like it is designed to do.

This is a big issue with early build 2.0T B8 A4 engines (09-11) that caused Audi to rebuild under warranty with new redesigned pistons/rings to correct.

First thing I am going to do is change oil change interval to 5/6K and use the Ravenol internal engine cleaner on next change. I have been using VW spec 5w40 oil since we have had the Treg and for last few years it has been Ravenol VMO 5w40 only.

These 5.6 VR6 engines have a very good reputation so I am concerned that all of a sudden it has needed the oil topped off regularly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 Old 02-04-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Garage
VWBob no updates.

My Treg just had the oil/filter service a couple of weeks ago (at 80k). Just for S&G's I changed out the oil filler cap with a new one because I read in one thread about the possibility of the seal shrinking slightly and the engine pulling air in through it causing oil loss.

It might not do anything but it was inexpensive to do.
The vehicle loses less oil per 1k miles than VW says is "acceptable" so I doubt the company would want to do the fix which I believe you hit on in your post. The redesigned pistons/rings.

It is a shame that for such an otherwise well designed vehicle that VW missed the boat on this and even when presented with the obvious oil loss of these engines just dismisses it away without a care.

Yes I have a Vag-Com cable and software. No it's not from Ross-Tech but works flawlessly
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 19 Old 02-04-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Ridiculous that VW/Audi think that up to a L every 1K miles (can't remember exactly the spec) is acceptable, that is 10L added every 10K oil change.

My wife's short trips are tough on the engine, we are heading to Gore skiing and then onto upper VT for a few days so after the 700+ miles of highway driving last weekend and more than that coming up hopefully will be good for the VR6.

Unfortunately a busy week before we leave and no Ravenol in the garage or I would consider changing oil before we left, only at about 5,500 since last change but fresh oil would be good.
post #16 of 19 Old 02-04-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VWBob View Post
Ridiculous that VW/Audi think that up to a L every 1K miles (can't remember exactly the spec) is acceptable, that is 10L added every 10K oil change.

IMO VW uses the 1L of oil every 1k as a cop out because they know there are design flaws with the engine.
I've read where some other manufacturers have jumped on the same bandwagon.
Now they all have an out if complaints come in about the engines drinking oil.
If you don't have a dealer do extensive oil loss to mileage testing or fall short of their "acceptable" amt. of oil lost you'll get the standard response and be on your own.
Shameful practice as far as I'm concerned.

Yes I have a Vag-Com cable and software. No it's not from Ross-Tech but works flawlessly
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 19 Old 02-05-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Last night when I got home it was 50 degrees and was able to get under the Treg with a flashlight, noticed the frame rail on driver side towards back of engine was wet and looks to be oil.

This is general area of the oil filter so I have to further investigate tonight by taking belly pan off to inspect that area.

I do my own oil changes and maybe I messed up and didn't get filter canister tight and it has been slowly loosening over last few months.

Keeping my fingers crossed it is something with oil filter and got a new filter today from VW to be prepared .

I will report back when I know more.
post #18 of 19 Old 02-22-2019

This is what the dealer said

So here some is something to add to the conversation.

About 5 weeks ago I brought our 2011 vr6 Touareg with 125,000 into our local dealer to have the valve cover gaskets and PCV membrane replaced. I noticed a leak that was dripping onto the drivers side forward frame rail and what seemed to be excessive oil consumption. At the time I was adding 1qt per 1100 miles.

Fast forward to this week and I went to check the oil level after having driven the vehicle for 700 miles and the electronic dipstick was showing the oil down to the last tick. I had the Treg into the shop today to hear that the leak had in fact stopped but now the hose that comes off of the PCV box on the passenger side was filled with oil. The mechanic who has been at this dealership for years stated that he had never seen this and was totally in the dark. He stated that he now has vw tech support involved and my vehicle is now in phase I of an oil consumption analysis. This will involve driving the vehicle for 1000 miles or the appearance of the low oil light coming on.

Any thoughts out there on this on? Iíve had this same engine in my 06 Passat 4 motion with 132,000 miles and never added a drop of oil.
post #19 of 19 Old 04-08-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Mattella, any update on your oil loss ?

About 2,500 miles since last oil change and down 1/2 qt, not bad but until a few months ago this engine went 7,500 going through only about 1/4 qt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode