jumping, hesitation in engine - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 14 Old 10-01-2014 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2008 V6
Second Vehicle: Still looking
jumping, hesitation in engine

Hi. This is my first time ever posting in this forum, although I have used the forum MANY times due to "complete brain dead" Touareg on several different occasions. I have a 2008 V6 Touareg, fully loaded, and we purchased this vehicle used in mint condition in 2011 with 87,000. It now has 105,000. I LOVE my Touareg but cannot trust it. I am a mother of two and wish this car would just heal itself and be the car it should be. I have considered trading, but ever car I have driven just doesn't compare to my Touareg, performance or options.

My problem is a jumping in the engine when I start it and a hesitation when driving initially causing it to jerk. It feels like it is trying to run out of gas, but it isn't. The RPM gauge moves and bounces along with this "sputtering". It does go away after a couple of minutes, but may start again on next start up or next month??? It is confusing and frustrating.

Also, not sure if this is related or not, sometimes when I go to pump gas and remove gas cap it is as if I have opened a new two liter of soda. Pressure is released (normal???), then sometimes it will let me fill up and other times the pump stops as if it is full. I have learned that it is NOT full at all and I pull the pump out to let the pressure build up escape, reinsert pump and begin fueling again. This sometimes takes 3-5 times I'm order to fill up. Are these two things related??? Fuel pump, filter, injection??? I only use premium as directed, have added fuel injection cleaners and no change.

Any help is so very appreciated!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-01-2014
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2005 V6
Second Vehicle: Other
Garage
That gas tank issue isn't normal in my experience with the touareg or any car for that matter. Take it in and get it checked out.
post #3 of 14 Old 10-01-2014 Thread Starter

Could it be related to the hesitation and "sputtering"? It feels like the car is going to stall out or run out of gas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 10-08-2014 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTreg View Post
Hi. This is my first time ever posting in this forum, although I have used the forum MANY times due to "complete brain dead" Touareg on several different occasions. I have a 2008 V6 Touareg, fully loaded, and we purchased this vehicle used in mint condition in 2011 with 87,000. It now has 105,000. I LOVE my Touareg but cannot trust it. I am a mother of two and wish this car would just heal itself and be the car it should be. I have considered trading, but ever car I have driven just doesn't compare to my Touareg, performance or options.

My problem is a jumping in the engine when I start it and a hesitation when driving initially causing it to jerk. It feels like it is trying to run out of gas, but it isn't. The RPM gauge moves and bounces along with this "sputtering". It does go away after a couple of minutes, but may start again on next start up or next month??? It is confusing and frustrating.

Also, not sure if this is related or not, sometimes when I go to pump gas and remove gas cap it is as if I have opened a new two liter of soda. Pressure is released (normal???), then sometimes it will let me fill up and other times the pump stops as if it is full. I have learned that it is NOT full at all and I pull the pump out to let the pressure build up escape, reinsert pump and begin fueling again. This sometimes takes 3-5 times I'm order to fill up. Are these two things related??? Fuel pump, filter, injection??? I only use premium as directed, have added fuel injection cleaners and no change.

Any help is so very appreciated!!!
Still having this issue... Any answers anyone???
post #5 of 14 Old 10-08-2014
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2009 V8
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Unfortunately, your best bet at this point would be to take it in. When you fill up your tank, is it on "E" or past "E" like my wife drives? Maybe that could be it...I don't think that they are related as I believe it has something to do with the pump nozzle itself. However, I could be wrong. I have experience this before, but it was the angle (in my opinion) that I inserted it into the tank...

Again, just my 2 cents...hope everything works out for you...
post #6 of 14 Old 10-08-2014
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2008 V6
It's not the gas tank. I have the same vehicle (2008 V6) with the same issue. It comes and goes and it's usually only an issue when the vehicle is cold - rarely does it do it when it's hot. I've actually had mine stall several times. There are no codes either, which is what makes it weird.

I've narrowed it down to a couple of things
1 - one of the fuel pumps
2 - torque converter in the transmission
3 - the way the secondary air injection system works on startup

Of the three, I think #1 is most likely. Based on what I've read and been able to find, of the two fuel pumps in the tank, one is used for startup and the other is used for supply to the third (high pressure) fuel pump at that engine. But, it's unclear which fuel pump is on each side of the car - I've looked at the technical docs, and all sorts of things. Rather than throw money at it chasing a solution, I've just chosen to live with it.

Now, it could be the torque converter in the tranny too - or the valve box for that matter. But since it only exhibits symptoms at low/no speed, I discount this. if it was the torque converter, it would be slipping at higher rpms, not around idle. If it was the valve box, I would expect it to exhibit other symptoms (banging downshifts, etc). But it isn't.

I can tell you that the problem has VERY slowly gotten worse - but if I think back, I would occasionally get some slight off idle hesitation when the car was new to me (at 35K miles). It now has 95k. In between it's had it's valve box replaced.

I wish I had an easy answer for you - often times I give it a rev to about 3500 rpms after startup and before I move and that seems to eliminate the issue. It's not going to break. It's annoying as hell though. I hope that helps - you aren't alone in your issue.

As for my own issue, I've been looking for a '13 Touareg TDI Exec or Q7 to replace mine. I love it to death - it's been a positively awesome vehicle. But I just can't stand the mileage any longer. And when it goes, so will this problem!

Current:
2014 TDI Exec - White w/ Cornsilk

Gone to a great new home:
2008 V6 Cranberry Red - Lux Plus (Leather, Keyless) Tech + Dynaudio, Air, Tow, 4 Zone Climate
post #7 of 14 Old 10-09-2014
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTreg View Post
Still having this issue... Any answers anyone???
Does it do a single jerk every so often, or is it a constant shuddering?
Is it more when you are accelerating and not so much when you are at speed?

I'll go for the obvious and say fuel filter. Mine was just having issues with acceleration and rough idle. New filters fixed it like magic. It's a fairly cheap part, so try it and see.

David W. Allen, GISP

2004 Touareg V10 TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI
1974 Thing
post #8 of 14 Old 08-18-2015

I have the same problem (touareg 2008 v6). VW dealer has no idea what the problem is. It is in the shop as we speak.
post #9 of 14 Old 09-24-2015

I had a similar problem at startup only. No error codes were found. The dealer did a software update and the problem was fixed. No parts were replaced.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-31-2019

Touareg: Still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksaw View Post
I had a similar problem at startup only. No error codes were found. The dealer did a software update and the problem was fixed. No parts were replaced.
Did your shudder occur between 20-45 mph? Which software was updated?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in