jumping, hesitation in engine - Page 2 - Club Touareg Forums

post #11 of 11 Old 04-02-2019

Touareg: 2015 V6 TDI
Red face Turbo surging

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTreg View Post
Hi. This is my first time ever posting in this forum, although I have used the forum MANY times due to "complete brain dead" Touareg on several different occasions. I have a 2008 V6 Touareg, fully loaded, and we purchased this vehicle used in mint condition in 2011 with 87,000. It now has 105,000. I LOVE my Touareg but cannot trust it. I am a mother of two and wish this car would just heal itself and be the car it should be. I have considered trading, but ever car I have driven just doesn't compare to my Touareg, performance or options.

My problem is a jumping in the engine when I start it and a hesitation when driving initially causing it to jerk. It feels like it is trying to run out of gas, but it isn't. The RPM gauge moves and bounces along with this "sputtering". It does go away after a couple of minutes, but may start again on next start up or next month??? It is confusing and frustrating.

Also, not sure if this is related or not, sometimes when I go to pump gas and remove gas cap it is as if I have opened a new two liter of soda. Pressure is released (normal???), then sometimes it will let me fill up and other times the pump stops as if it is full. I have learned that it is NOT full at all and I pull the pump out to let the pressure build up escape, reinsert pump and begin fueling again. This sometimes takes 3-5 times I'm order to fill up. Are these two things related??? Fuel pump, filter, injection??? I only use premium as directed, have added fuel injection cleaners and no change.

Any help is so very appreciated!!!
Is is shuddering or sputtering? I would call sputtering the feeling or sound you get from an engine right before it dies. Shuddering on the other hand would be something you experience while you're driving down the road and feel a jolting that makes it seem like the transmission doesn't know what gear to shift into.

Both issues I think are addressed here so I'll only add the thing I have never read in a forum. The turbo guide vane positioner can be stripped or have bad tuning and therefore will "hunt" for the proper position. While "hunting" the guide vanes are increasing and decreasing boost to your engine causing a surging effect. I only know this because of my experience with turbomachinery along with my recent warrantied replacement of my turbo charger. Yes, I too was experiencing this on my 2015 Touareg and there was no hope for a solution. I mentioned it to the technician at VW and he said there is a diagnostic check to make sure the positioner is responding correctly to output signals. He plugged in, performed the test, and boom! 60% signal was going to 90% and wiggling around. He said " You're getting a new turbo". I haven't experienced any surging since the replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in