Front Differential Failures common? - Page 2 - Club Touareg Forums
View Poll Results: Has your Front or Rear Differential Failed or makes noise?
I hear the grinding sound in my front differential 22 81.48%
I have replaced my front differential already 5 18.52%
I have a failure or pending failure in my rear differential 5 18.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

2Likes

post #11 of 30 Old 12-07-2012

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by nltomba View Post
I shipped one for a client that had an 05 V8
I'll add that one to my list

Mine is a late 2005 as well, and I did notice, as I mentioned above, the front fluid was waaaaaay darker than the rear diff, when I allowed both to be drained out. I'm sure I would have had some sort of failure down the line had I left that dark dirty looking lubricant in there and not flushed it out.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 Old 12-22-2012

I have a bearing failure in my 2005 V6 Touareg's front differntial too.
Started to notice a sound in the front end, that changed with acceleration / deceleration, a few weeks ago. Just turned 85,000 miles.

Took it into my mechanic this week, they pulled some fluid and it's got metal in it.
Not good.
The repair is proving to be expensive at +- $2,000 for a rebuild. Sourcing the rebuild isn't easy where i live in CS, CO area.
Looks like a trip to Denver and 3 days of shop time. Dealer quoted about $4,500.

Way expensive for a repair that's unusual at this mileage.

VW should own up like they did on the ignition coil issue a few years back!
post #13 of 30 Old 12-22-2012

Maybe the thread poll option should be activated for more accuracy?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 30 Old 12-27-2012

Touareg: 2006 V6
Second Vehicle: 2006 V6
Angry 2006 V6

Same problem as reported on this thread. 80k miles. Brought to Burlington VW who diagnosed as drive shaft/front differential. After dropping car off and no call from service, picked up car and found they replaced the rear drive shaft-that they just replaced two years ago. We refused the vehicle, contacted VW America, who covered the rear drive shaft installation.

Burlington VW service is terrible. Our 2006 Treg has had we several problems, ignition coils, alternator, rear drive shaft and differential, as well as poor service including breaking the headlight housing when replacing the headlight.

Unfortunately, keeping the Treg is no longer an option. With brakes costing 1200, tires at least as much, drive shafts another 1500, (which apparently only last a year or two), and then the front differential at 4500 , it is time to unload the truck. Aside from the vehicle itself being a costly series of problems, the most aggravating part of our experience has by far been the "customer comes last " attitude of the Burlington VW service department.

I wish you all better luck, but from what I am reading, maybe hoping others read this first before having the same experience is a more realistic wish.
post #15 of 30 Old 12-27-2012

^^^^^^^^It really is too bad you don't have any good independent mechanics near you. My Touareg has been cheaper to maintain thus far, than my friends with their newer Civics, who too as you, depend on their $tealerships for maintenance items like brakes, coils, suspension shocks, etc. I'm very fortunate to know a few indies around here. A brake job at an independent and if you shop online OE parts shouldn't cost anywhere near a G note, and that's total cost out the door. I haven't been back to my dealer ever since I posted up my water pump timing belt fiasco on here a few years ago. Best move I ever made.

A bad dealership makes all the difference in the world, especially when it comes to complex vehicles. Even a good dealer service department hits the pocket book x2-3 more over an independent, hence why people who solely depend on the former, must take out extended warranties to keep things sane.

I feel for you dude.

PS Knock on wood, I'm still on my original driveshaft!

post #16 of 30 Old 02-16-2013

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Can you please tell me where can I purchase the KLM503310 seat KLM503349 bearings.
post #17 of 30 Old 11-16-2013

Touareg: 2004 V6
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Hi all , just a quick update on my rebuilt diff , 10k miles done now with some heavy towing and the diff is spot on , golden rule for treg diff is to change the oil regular , KLM bearings should be easy to get in the USA i have seen them on Ebay.com i had a job to get them in the uk
post #18 of 30 Old 03-14-2019

"ENTRAPMENT IS ILLEGAL IN THE USA AND SUBJECTS VW/Audi AND ZF to CLASS ACTION. LET'S SUE VW/AUDI AND ZF."

My 2005 V8 Front Differential Failed at 100000-miles. The symptoms are groaning noise during acceleration/deceleration and metal flake in the differential oil. Upon removalof the differential I found the left Carrier Bearing to be Brindiled and in a state of decay so both carrier bearings were replaced. The Pinion bearings felt good when turned by hand and preload was present. I chose not to disassemble and replace the Pinion Bearings because it is impossible to source the crush sleeve that should be replaced during reassembly. It appears that the pinion bearings are failed also. I am working on a solution.

I requested a new crush sleeve from both VW USA and ZF Differentials and was told the part is not a serviceable part THAT THEY SELL. Furthermore, I found that ZF has a non-compete agreement with VW/Audi to NOT sell the crush sleeve. This agreement is Entrapment with the only option for repair being to purchase a complete new differential from VW (5000.00 USD). ENTRAPMENT IS ILLEGAL IN THE USA AND SUBJECTS VW/Audi AND ZF to CLASS ACTION.
pilot60378 likes this.
post #19 of 30 Old 03-14-2019

Does anyone currently have a pinion and crush sleeve removed from the front differential of a 2004-2006 V8 Touareg? I need the ID and OD of the crush sleeve so that I can manufacture shims and attempt to reuse the original crush sleeve.
post #20 of 30 Old 03-14-2019
Multiple v10tdi owner

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2004 V10 TDI
Garage
I have a 2004 v8 front diff you can have for $400. 94,000 miles...

3 V10TDI's: (2)2004 Black/Black, Silver/Black and 2004 V10TDI in 1990 Corvette

Tags
front differential

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode