Engine Light on, VW mechanic says $2,300 repairs - Page 3 - Club Touareg Forums
 4Likes

post #21 of 50 Old 03-21-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Quote:
My advice to MsHannah is to go back to the VW dealer, have a chat about the matter, and negotiate a 'deal' where the VW dealer will diagnose the 'condition' and write a report describing the 'condition' and what must be done to repair.
And I agree with nickyt

Go back to the Ford dealer and insist that the car be repaired under the 3 month Statutory Warranty.

I don't know which State MsHannah is in but this is the Victoria Legalisation. Other States have similar Legalisation.
https://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/moto...car/warranties

MY08 V6 TDI, Shadow Blue, Beige Interior, Towbar, Air Suspension, LED Load Box (not used).
The Following User Says Thank You to JimJ For This Useful Post:
MsHannah (03-24-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 50 Old 03-21-2017

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is jealous
@ JimJ

Hahahahahahaha

Try getting your Consumer Affairs department to step in to assist.

The operative sentence is "If you purchase a product or service and find it has a defect, the warranty sets out what you can claim and how you can claim it."

Now, go look at the warranty and you'll note the insurer has the purchaser over a barrel.

Critically (in Australia), it is the warrantor that decides if there is a defect. In the case of MsHannah, the dealer has said the light is now off [how and by what means turning that light off was effected is unknown] MsHannah says the dealer said they did a diagnostic appraisal and the light went off!

So, if MsHannah is to effect a desired outcome, she needs a reputable 3rd party (eg. VW Service Centre) to make a report that there is a defect and how that defect is to be repaired.

Until or unless, MsHannah is whistling Dixie.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dalliance For This Useful Post:
MsHannah (03-22-2017)
post #23 of 50 Old 03-21-2017 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2011 V6 TDI
The light came on a week after I drove it off the lot. The dealer whom I bought it off and have warranty (have said if there is engine problems then warranty covers it) cleared the error code and said if comes back on bring it back and we will investigate. That was 13 days ago, light has not come back on. I was initially confused because one mechanic diagnosed it with 2,300 engine issue. But other dealer I bought off and have warranty cleared the error and said wait and see. I had 2 different responses, that's what confuses me. Car is running like a dream and light has not come on for 10 days so hopefully that's a good sign.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 50 Old 03-21-2017 Thread Starter

Waaaa he said they drove it around two times each for 30 minutes, are you saying they're telling me porkies. I need to know more..
post #25 of 50 Old 03-21-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
But other dealer I bought off and have warranty cleared the error and said wait and see. I had 2 different responses, that's what confuses me. Car is running like a dream and light has not come on for 10 days so hopefully that's a good sign.
Did the dealer do a printout of the error or record the error?

If no you may have to wait for the error to manifest itself again. I would then go to back to the VW dealer, get a scan done and without deleting the error. Get a printout of the scan. This printout will show the date, time, VIN, mileage and the error. Cannot argue with that.

Then go back to the Ford dealer, show them the printout of the scan from the VW dealer and get them to do a scan.
If it shows the same fault, request that they fix it under the Statutory Warranty

If they don't or give an excuse not to, just a gentle reminder about social media may have the desired effect.

Dalliance
You may laugh, but I have had repairs done in Qld under the Statutory Warranty on second hand vehicles, no questions asked.

MY08 V6 TDI, Shadow Blue, Beige Interior, Towbar, Air Suspension, LED Load Box (not used).
MsHannah (03-22-2017)
post #26 of 50 Old 03-21-2017

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is jealous
@ JimJ - Lucky you!

Also a Qlder, and each time I've had to fight tooth and nail. The reference to the head gasket is but one experience.

@ MsHannah

As JimJ has written, the only way you'll ever get to the bottom of the matter is to go "to the VW dealer, get a scan done and without deleting the error. Get a printout of the scan. This printout will show the date, time, VIN, mileage and the error".

It may cost currency, but you'll have peace of mind.

Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to Dalliance For This Useful Post:
MsHannah (03-22-2017)
post #27 of 50 Old 03-21-2017
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsHannah View Post
Car is running like a dream and light has not come on for 10 days so hopefully that's a good sign.
That is a good sign and I hope it stays off. If something is broke, it should be fixed. Period. However, just because the light came on once, does not necessarily mean something is broke. Touaregs love to set Check Engine lights, in my experience.

If you are worried about it, pay the VW mechanic to go over the car and give you a basic bill of health. If you are not worried, keep driving it as long as the check engine light is off.

All I can tell you is the EGR light might come back on and it might never come back on. But, do check the fluids (oil and coolant) at least once a week for the next month. That is cheap insurance.
The Following User Says Thank You to nickyt For This Useful Post:
MsHannah (03-22-2017)
post #28 of 50 Old 03-21-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Second Vehicle: Other
In my 2011, the check engine light turned itself off today and my jaw dropped, such a constant companion of my journeys it has been! The car has always run great, give or take some NOx emissions 😀

2011 Touareg TDI Executive, Silver/Saddle Brown — 74K miles. Bought back May, 2018
2015 Q5 TDI Cuvée Silver/Chestnut Brown -- 25K miles
2015 Golf TDI S — 16K miles
The Following User Says Thank You to Mythdoc For This Useful Post:
MsHannah (03-24-2017)
post #29 of 50 Old 03-21-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
If you are worried about it, pay the VW mechanic to go over the car and give you a basic bill of health. If you are not worried, keep driving it as long as the check engine light is off.
I had my Treg given the once over by and Independent European mechanic at no cost.
But he did gain a customer.

MsHannah (03-22-2017)
post #30 of 50 Old 03-21-2017
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinDawson View Post
My 2008 V6 TDI has the same problem, light came on over 3 years ago. I've covered about 50000 miles since then. I did some research and found there is a design flaw on this engine (Audi engineered) the official VW answer is to replace both inlet manifolds. UK estimate is approx £800 each side. I did find a supposed solution. The problem is wear in the swirl flap lever which after a period of time gets slack which is then picked up by the sensor. There is a VW replacement kit for the flap lever which costs £10 from a diesel performance company called Darkside Developments. Unfortunately it hasn't cured the problem permanently but when the light goes off it only seems to come back on if I do several stop/starts in a short period of time (switching engine off type stopping).

I've not noticed any drop in performance or fuel consumption. Speaking with a mechanic who's wife has a similar model, it is not a serious problem just an inconvenience.

Hope that helps

You need the DieselGeek repair kit.

regards
Drag

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode