Engine Light on, VW mechanic says $2,300 repairs - Page 2 - Club Touareg Forums
 4Likes

post #11 of 50 Old 03-21-2017

Touareg: 2008 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Garage
Get it fixed as soon as you can as it CAN lead to the engine Hydraulic Locking. Which would be rather costly...

I replaced mine due to the same condition/problem 12 months ago.

Kind Regards
Stuart..

2008 V6 TDI, with the following Retrofitted Items:
ACC, Front & Side Assist, Paddle Shift, Towbar & Trailer Module, Fiscon Bluetooth. Reversing Camera, Front Fog Lamps, Redarc TowPro Brake Controller, T1 Door Warning Lamps, T1 Under Seat Drawer, Alloy Skid Plate, 5ton Winch, Cayenne Front and Rear Sway Bars, Tuned by Oettinger, Retrofitted 6 Piston Brembo Front Brake Callipers, Sports Steering Wheel, TPMS (OEM), Dual Batteries
The Following User Says Thank You to hedditch For This Useful Post:
MsHannah (03-22-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 50 Old 03-21-2017 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2011 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Thanks, the thing is the dealer who I have warranty with cleared the error code, drove it around for an hour and said the light didn't come on again. If it does bring it back and we'll investigate. So I don't think they'll do anything until light comes back on. Unless I have a right to demand they replace the parts you mention. I initially took my treg to my closest VW mechanic who diagnosed this EGR problem who said go back to dealer you bought off and have warranty with and those people have wait and see attitude it seems. Have 3 month warranty plus 3 years I paid for..had car for a month.
post #13 of 50 Old 03-21-2017 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2011 V6 TDI
Thanks, same year and model it seems. I'm not sure I can demand they do this, as they foot the bill with the warranty and seem to have that control. Not sure of my rights here. How long after error was cleared that it came back on again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 50 Old 03-21-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Garage
I'm not sure whate code you got, but my check engine light came on as well. I cleared the light with my VAGCOM, and it came back within a week. The Treg is currently in Atlanta getting a DPF delete etc...however... While tearing into the Treg, the downpipe had a rusted leak, the intercooler had a rusted leak, and a few other leaks were found. I'm kind of lucky the thing made the three hour drive to Atlanta!

Bottom line is that your dealer needs to do a bit on investigative search on WHY the error was recorded instead of just clearing it. As others have said, you may be doing further damage to it by driving it.

As a bit of curiosity...how long after you bought it did the light come on? Sounds as if the car may have been offloaded by the previous owner and you unknowingly bought a broken car.

1975 Norton Commando 850
2010 VW Touareg TDI with DPF/EGR delete with Buzzken exhaust/resonator and stage two Malone Tune. Paid Off Sold
2005 Audi A4 Quattro Cabriolet S-Line stage 1 tune
2013 Audi Q7 TDi Prestige S-Line Stage 1 Tune
2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDi SEL bone stock
2015 VW Golf TDI SE bone stock.
The Following User Says Thank You to 47Driver For This Useful Post:
MsHannah (03-22-2017)
post #15 of 50 Old 03-21-2017
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
I'm confused. If you have a warranty, why isn't this repair covered?

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 50 Old 03-21-2017
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Call your local consumer protection people straightaway and get their advice and help.

In the meantime, if the EGR is faulty you could be losing coolant without any obvious signs of leakage under the car or smoke coming out of the exhaust.

EGR failure is a known issue. The coolant is lost into the exhaust system.

So check the coolant level when the car is cold first thing every day before you drive it.

Any sign of the coolant level dropping, go straight back to the selling dealer without delay.

But, do call your consumer folk and get proper advice on your options/right without delay.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
The Following User Says Thank You to noobytoogy For This Useful Post:
MsHannah (03-22-2017)
post #17 of 50 Old 03-21-2017

EML light

My 2008 V6 TDI has the same problem, light came on over 3 years ago. I've covered about 50000 miles since then. I did some research and found there is a design flaw on this engine (Audi engineered) the official VW answer is to replace both inlet manifolds. UK estimate is approx £800 each side. I did find a supposed solution. The problem is wear in the swirl flap lever which after a period of time gets slack which is then picked up by the sensor. There is a VW replacement kit for the flap lever which costs £10 from a diesel performance company called Darkside Developments. Unfortunately it hasn't cured the problem permanently but when the light goes off it only seems to come back on if I do several stop/starts in a short period of time (switching engine off type stopping).

I've not noticed any drop in performance or fuel consumption. Speaking with a mechanic who's wife has a similar model, it is not a serious problem just an inconvenience.

Hope that helps
The Following User Says Thank You to ColinDawson For This Useful Post:
MsHannah (03-22-2017)
post #18 of 50 Old 03-21-2017
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobytoogy View Post
So check the coolant level when the car is cold first thing every day before you drive it.

Any sign of the coolant level dropping, go straight back to the selling dealer without delay.
I would agree to check it once daily for the next 7 days or once daily for the next 7 times she starts it. After that, if no change, then no problem and perhaps only check once a week for "a while." If no change after that, then all is good.

BTW... did they remove the low coolant fluid switch on her model? If my 2004 or 2006 dropped even the smallest amount below the min-fill mark, I would get the big "Check Coolant" level at startup with the bell and dings and a little error icon that stayed turned on the entire time the Touareg was running. If that system is still there, it really means that she should not have to check it more then perhaps once a week for the next month.

Also, while I agree that this needs to be checked out, this does not have to be the worst case situation. It could be, or it could not be.

With the amount of hysteria and the all is neigh here, I would recommend that she calls the service advisor at the first VW dealership. I would ask the service guy to please ask VW if there is any way other then the code they can check this system. If the mechanic could look it over, that would be great. At this point, $150 to the dealer might be better then the anxiety of "Is it going to blow up the next time I start it?"

We have a good start with watch the fluid levels. I would also recommend that she checks the oil level once a week for perhaps the next four weeks, just to make sure it is stable. Actually checking both of these fluids for the first month is good insurance on any used car you buy.

Speaking of that, as particular as these cars are with the "right oil" it might not be a bad idea to ask the first VW dealer if they would do an oil change and while you have it at the dealer, ask the dealer to have a mechanic look it over. Most of the dealers in my area love to do those free courtesy checks so they can tell you how many things you need to pay them to fix.

If the VW dealer can point at something on the EGR and say "Look there, see that crack or see that part is defective, then it will be really easy to get it fixed, even if the code has not reappeared.
The Following User Says Thank You to nickyt For This Useful Post:
MsHannah (03-22-2017)
post #19 of 50 Old 03-21-2017

Second Vehicle: Still looking
Extended Warranty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsHannah View Post
I'll have a look if invoice states error code no. and more details. I have 2 months warranty on the dealer one and I purchased an extra 3 year standard warranty. So I have a bit of leeway at this stage, hopefully.
Be mindful of the purchased extended warranty

I purchased a 2007 V6 Diesel with 85K on the clock 2 5 years ago along with 3 years warranty

And guess what? the engine light came on 4 months after this and the EGR cooler along with thermostat, valve & flap was replaced at a cost of 3k by my friendly VW dealership.

Unfortunately the extended warranty didn't cover this as well as a failed tailshaft centre bearing at $550.
The Following User Says Thank You to China For This Useful Post:
MsHannah (03-22-2017)
post #20 of 50 Old 03-21-2017

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is jealous
@ nickyt, MsHannah states she is in Australia (where I live as well).

Sadly, successive governments have almost killed off consumer rights in cases like this.

My understanding from reading the material is that MsHannah bought her Treg from a Ford dealer. In law in Australia, the Ford dealer must give a warranty that covers documentable mechanical failure. These warranties are provided by an insurance company, but repairs up to a certain threshold are met by the dealer (to keep their costs down). So, the dealer has a motive to avoid admitting any failure (and there's little or no chance of challenging any such decision). Put another way, the car has to arrive on the back of a tow truck before the dealer will have to act.

The supplementary warranty MsHannah has purchased is provided by an insurer and many have written about the uselessness of these products. For example, the warranties state that they don't cover 'consumerables'. A head gasket is a 'consumerable'! And, as the head gasket 'consumerable' was the part that failed, the warped head is not covered!

My take on the possible cause of the light warning (diagnosed here), is that nothing has actually failed. Rather, the electrronics is warning that a component is operating below par and if not addressed a failure is likely to occur. Given this, the supplementary warranty will not deal with the matter.

My advice to MsHannah is to go back to the VW dealer, have a chat about the matter, and negotiate a 'deal' where the VW dealer will diagnose the 'condition' and write a report describing the 'condition' and what must be done to repair. Without such a doc, MsHannah has (as we say here) Buckley's chance of getting the warranty to pay for repairs.

Oh, by the way. I laughed when MsHannah wrote that the Ford dealer claimed the car was driven for 30 minutes. If anything, the motor was turned on for 30 minutes and occasionally someone went and looked to see if the light came on.
Kennyg, China, raffiseto1 and 1 others like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dalliance For This Useful Post:
MsHannah (03-22-2017)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode