ECU , gearbox not communicating - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 8 Old 06-07-2019 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2007 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Garage
Unhappy ECU , gearbox not communicating

Hello everyone , I am asking for help and advice . I have owned my 2007 3.0 TDI for about 9 months . During that time it has been working perfectly. Then 4 weeks ago I pulled off the drive , got 100 yards and it stopped without any warning . It would not start and there was lots of smoke . I called for a recovery and the mechanic plugged I a diagnostic lap top and it indicated a problem with the no 1 injector . I had it taken to a local independent VW/Audi garage . They confirmed a fault code showing an injector problem . I had the injector changed at a cost of 500. The car failed to run .The mechanic suggested there might be an issue with the ECU . I asked if the unit be sent for testing . It was and the company advised that it was damaged and unrepairable . With reluctance I agreed to order an new ECU, for 1500, which had to be obtained from Germany . Now on the third week no calls , so I rang to see if it had arrived . They informed me it had and they had loaded the software . Put it on the vehicle and the engine ran perfectly . HOWEVER it will now only select 1st and third gears. The manager of the garage informed me that the gearbox is indicating that there is an issue with the engine. They now have little idea of what is causing the problem . They suspect it could be a software issue . They loaded the latest software . They have contacted VW and are waiting for a reply . Could it be that the latest software is not completely compatible with my vehicle and it needs a earlier version. They are going to reflash the ECU once they get a reply from VW. All this is very depressing , and I worry about ever getting my car back and mounting costs eventually making it unviable to repair, which is a shame as I like the car . Any help appreciated .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-07-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2004 V6
Maybe some wiring issues or tranny connector loose or rodents have chewed up the tranny harness. Treg is in limp mode then. Make sure all the connectors are in place. I hope this basic step has already been performed by the guys who replaced the injector then fried the ecu then what not
A 200 vcds cable would have told you a lot about the treg state of health. Ask them for the exact codes and post here.

https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f...lp-271281.html
The Following User Says Thank You to TRespect For This Useful Post:
Jack Russell (06-08-2019)
post #3 of 8 Old 06-08-2019 Thread Starter

Garage
Dear TRespect , thank you very much for your reply and ideas . I have communicated these to the garage and will see what they reply, probably early next week . If they are still having problems, I hope they will provide me with the exact codes, that I can then pass to you.

Very grateful , thanks again .

Have a nice weekend .

Kind regards
JR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Garage
Update - My car is back and running. Picked it up on Tuesday . Following downloading the programme from VW onto the new ECU it became corrupted and the gearbox would still not communicate with the engine . A few days later the garage received a check list from VW . Before they ran through it they downloaded the programme again and it loaded up correctly onto the ECU and all gears are working . Total cost 2,300. Now I am worried to drive it, in case something else goes wrong . Hope this passes . My wife is not as attached to the vehicle, as I am .
post #5 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

2300 for a software update? How is that? Did you have to pay or was it goodwill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Garage
2300 was the total cost of the work, in the end ,including an injector and brand new ECU module , and the software . The ECU with tax was 1450, the injector fitted was around 400 and then the software and ECU check on the original ECU which was condemned. Coding and labour 350. +taxes . I suppose this is reasonable , but expensive bill after less than a year of ownership . The garage said the other injectors might fail in due course . I still don't understand why the ECU failed afte the injector or if the two were related . Fingers crossed it will be ok for a while .
post #7 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Did you get any warranty with all this? If so you should drive the treg and don't baby it to make sure things are holding and will not be breaking two days after the warranty expires even though bad things can happen. Don't be afraid of driving it like you said above. And of I were you i would avoid that dealership/shop in the future. And get the vcds cable to be able to check how the treg is feeling from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks , it makes sense . I'll take it out tomorrow and make sure everything is holding together and start to enjoy it . It's a lovely car .

Cheers .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode