DPF levels and regeneration - Club Touareg Forums
 3Likes

post #1 of 93 Old 01-15-2019 Thread Starter
Learner

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2015 V8 TDI
DPF levels and regeneration

With 26000 kms on my v8tdi now(my15) and a mates experience of going into limp mode due to clogged dpf at 50000kms it got me thinking what the soot and ash levels in my Touareg were.

So I ran a scan and the advanced measuring revealed the following.
This is after nearly 3.5yrs of ownership of a new Touareg with most of my driving around town and occasional freeway runs- once in few weeks.
I have never noticed a regeneration occurring over the years but the scan reveals it apparently happened recently.

Interested to know what levels of soot and ash others have and if anyone has noticed a regen.
In my mates case he was going interstate, had driven more than 500kms when then light came on and engine went into limp mode- had to be taken to a dealer for a forced burn. His use has been mostly around town until this trip.
So, what has your experience been and what readings do you have on your dpf?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FDBA4BA2-F994-45A0-882B-F2B75115DC3D_1547619624844.jpeg
Views:	289
Size:	4.36 MB
ID:	220457  

V8 TDI R line MY15, White, Panoramic roof, VW towbar. Dynamic Road Sign Recognition, Lane Assist, Traffic Reports, Google Earth enabled. All Led.

V10 TDI, MYO6 on Conti CrossContact 255/60/18s with RNS510, Paddle Shifters, Rear Diff lock, Mounted Spare, Bluetooth, 4 Zone CC, Keyless, AFS Xenons, TPMS, Easy Entry/Exit, Twin Batteries, Air Suspension, Sunroof, Icom IC440 UHF radio...

Had, Sold & Missed...V6 petrol on Pirelli AT's with Sat Nav, Rear Diff lock, Bluetooth & Phatbox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 93 Old 01-16-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
My understanding is that you will not get a complete burn if you run it always in town. So, this is probably what caused the eventual clog.

If you do not have a VCDS, it would be best to take take the vehicle for a minimum of a one hour long non-stop drive at least once every six months. That should give the system a chance to burn off properly.

Better yet, stop being cheap and buy a VCDS. Then post your driving style and your vcds scan to this thread.

Sigh has a great idea to collect data on this issue. The knowledge will help all the TDI owners take better care of their vehicles.
post #3 of 93 Old 01-16-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2015 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Garage
I'm glad I deleted my DPF/SCR system, I don't have to worry about any of this bollocks.

'81 Rabbit S 16vG60 | '01 A6 2.7TT 6MT | '15 Touareg TDI Exec R-line

- OEM air suspension retrofit
- OEM parking heater retrofit
- OEM Easy-Open hatch retrofit
- OEM ambient lighting retrofit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 93 Old 01-16-2019
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2008 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Can't afford one
Here's some VCDS DPF data taken from my 2008 3.0Tdi

(If you look at the Adobe viewer 2 page view option it will make more sense)

TonyB
Attached Files
File Type: pdf My VCDS DPG Measuring Blocks.pdf (511.0 KB, 80 views)

MY08 V6TDi, Atacama Grey, Air Suspension, Bi-Xenons
Enhancements: OEM Paddle Shifters, OEM Tow Pack, OEM LED load Module, Red Arc Tow Pro Elite Brake Controller, Icom IC-440 UHF, 6 Spot 17Z Front Brakes, FM100 Aux fuel filter + water alarm, Pro Vent catch can, 20" Road Tyres + spare, 17" A/T Off-road tyres + 2 x full size spares, AG Custom alloy underbody front+ centre+rear alloy protection plates.

MY08 V6TDi, Campanella White
My first Touareg love affair, found a new home locally.
post #5 of 93 Old 01-16-2019 Thread Starter
Learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyt View Post
My understanding is that you will not get a complete burn if you run it always in town. So, this is probably what caused the eventual clog.

If you do not have a VCDS, it would be best to take take the vehicle for a minimum of a one hour long non-stop drive at least once every six months. That should give the system a chance to burn off properly.
Well the confusing part is that he got his dpf clogged after 500kms of freeway driving.
Preceeding that was city driving mostly but one would think the freeway drive would help do a regen.

Would be good to hear from as many on their readings and experience.
Reading from mine doesnt look too bad given the split between city and freeway (much less)

V8 TDI R line MY15, White, Panoramic roof, VW towbar. Dynamic Road Sign Recognition, Lane Assist, Traffic Reports, Google Earth enabled. All Led.

V10 TDI, MYO6 on Conti CrossContact 255/60/18s with RNS510, Paddle Shifters, Rear Diff lock, Mounted Spare, Bluetooth, 4 Zone CC, Keyless, AFS Xenons, TPMS, Easy Entry/Exit, Twin Batteries, Air Suspension, Sunroof, Icom IC440 UHF radio...

Had, Sold & Missed...V6 petrol on Pirelli AT's with Sat Nav, Rear Diff lock, Bluetooth & Phatbox.
post #6 of 93 Old 01-16-2019 Thread Starter
Learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafarer28 View Post
Here's some VCDS DPF data taken from my 2008 3.0Tdi

(If you look at the Adobe viewer 2 page view option it will make more sense)

TonyB
Thanks Tony

Big drop in the last two readings! Especially the Ash.
That cant be just from a regen? Did you get it professionally cleaned?

post #7 of 93 Old 01-17-2019
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2008 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Can't afford one
Hi Singh,

Good pick up, the last reading is from my "new" '08 with 100K kms on the odo, all the other readings came from my previous one which had 220K on disposal in 03/2018, no maintenance ever done to DPF.

TonyB

MY08 V6TDi, Atacama Grey, Air Suspension, Bi-Xenons
Enhancements: OEM Paddle Shifters, OEM Tow Pack, OEM LED load Module, Red Arc Tow Pro Elite Brake Controller, Icom IC-440 UHF, 6 Spot 17Z Front Brakes, FM100 Aux fuel filter + water alarm, Pro Vent catch can, 20" Road Tyres + spare, 17" A/T Off-road tyres + 2 x full size spares, AG Custom alloy underbody front+ centre+rear alloy protection plates.

MY08 V6TDi, Campanella White
My first Touareg love affair, found a new home locally.
post #8 of 93 Old 01-17-2019
Touareg Guru

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh View Post
Well the confusing part is that he got his dpf clogged after 500kms of freeway driving.
Preceeding that was city driving mostly but one would think the freeway drive would help do a regen.
Yes, a long drive on a heavily loaded system can result in a trip to the dealer.

We need to find the VW theory guide on DPF to explain this. It has been a while since I read it, but basically the safety system kicked in to prevent an automatic burn.

This should be close to what happened. Read the theory guide if you want to get it 100% correct.

The system does not want the ash level to go over a certain percentage. If you do a lot of in town driving, you can go over that level.

All is not lost at that point, the system will still try to initiate a burn. A long highway trip is perfect and the burn is started. But, the computer monitors the burn temperature. The more ash you have to burn, the hotter the burn.

Once you hit a certain temperature, the system will shut down the burn.

All is still not lost. You are on a long highway drive and the system will cool down and a second burn will be attempted.

If this burns gets too hot, ie too much ash, this burn too will be aborted.

After a few burns (forget the exact number) the system will set a fault and no longer attempt to do anything.

At this point, you are supposed to take the vehicle to the dealer since you have a fault. The dealer computer will instruct the dealer to do on forced burn (forced regeneration) under controlled conditions. Not inside, not near any grass or vegetation, preferably parked over concrete.

If it is successful, you get the car back. If it fails, you get to purchase new exhaust parts.
post #9 of 93 Old 01-17-2019
Touareg Guru

Garage
Googled it just for the fun of it. Note the part in bold.

Quote:
Regeneration while Standing/Idle

Prerequisites (General):

Ignition ON
Engine ON (Idle)
Fuel Tank at least 1/4 full
Transmission in Neutral/Park
Parking Brake engaged
Coolant Temperature above 70 C (see MVB 002.4)
Particle Filter Load below Specification (see MVB 108.2/3 -or- 241.2/3 VCDS should give the specified values)

If the Particle Filter Load is above Specification the Particle Filter needs to be replaced since the car may burn down when regenerating.

Power Consumers ON (Light, Seat Heating, Front/Rear Window Heater, Climate Control)
Engine Hood Closed
post #10 of 93 Old 01-17-2019 Thread Starter
Learner

[QUOTE=nickyt;2030705
We need to find the VW theory guide on DPF to explain this. It has been a while since I read it, but basically the safety system kicked in to prevent an automatic burn.

The system does not want the ash level to go over a certain percentage. If you do a lot of in town driving, you can go over that level.

u have to burn, the hotter the burn.

Once you hit a certain temperature, the system will shut down the burn.

All is still not lost. You are on a long highway drive and the system will cool down and a second burn will be attempted.

If this burns gets too hot, ie too much ash, this burn too will be

If it is successful, you get the car back. If it fails, you get to purchase new exhaust parts.[/QUOTE]
Hi Nickyt,
Interesting, i am keen to get my hands on the theory/ details of dpf operation and regen, where can we find this?

Also, i thought its the soot that the regen burns and not the ash?
Ash, which is the result of dpf regens ie the burning of soot collected over time.
and ash cant be burnt, hence dpf’s have a life?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode