DPF levels and regeneration - Page 8 - Club Touareg Forums
 3Likes

post #71 of 93 Old 03-15-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Hold on a sec... on the 2L system, if your soot goes past 45g, your regens will no longer take place.... but you should also be getting a CEL as a result. I'm not clear on your readings. Is that some knockoff VCDS you're using? Can you get the actual readings on the specific channels?

652g is way too high..... what measuring block are you seeing that value in? I'm not familiar with the interface you're showing the screen shot of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 93 Old 03-15-2019

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboABA View Post
Hold on a sec... on the 2L system, if your soot goes past 45g, your regens will no longer take place.... but you should also be getting a CEL as a result. I'm not clear on your readings. Is that some knockoff VCDS you're using? Can you get the actual readings on the specific channels?

652g is way too high..... what measuring block are you seeing that value in? I'm not familiar with the interface you're showing the screen shot of.
Right, my system is still doing regens and I have no CEL (although my wife did see a warning symbol in the beginning of the week during a regen, which may have just been an alert to continue driving although I've never seen such an alert myself and have interrupted regens before).

No, it's not a knock-off. It's a genuine hex net and that interface is their cloud Live HUD feature. I'll take my laptop out right now and verify what the actual measuring blocks are reporting (this is a graphic of the interface).

The oil ash volume is .07l
oil ash mass: 30.8g
ash load limit: 80.00g

The wife's touareg is at work with her so I can't compare, but does that seem like a recently replaced DPF filter? It was supposedly changed about 6,000 miles ago but that .07l seems to indicate an original DPF with 70K miles on it.
post #73 of 93 Old 03-15-2019

Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 93 Old 03-15-2019
Touareg Mechanic

What makes you believe that your DPF was replaced? Does your FIX paperwork indicate that?
post #75 of 93 Old 03-16-2019

Garage
Quote:
What makes you believe that your DPF was replaced? Does your FIX paperwork indicate that?
Yes
post #76 of 93 Old 03-18-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Assuming that they did indeed replace it, I would say they didn't "reset" the system to let it know that it's been replaced..... as a result your ash keeps building on whatever existed since day one, and this is why your reported value is so high. There's no sensor taking actual measurements of the ash in deposited in the DPF from what I know, so it's just a calculated value based on milage\service life\regens. I would just take a mental note of the .07 value and subtract that from any future readings to get an idea of what your actual ash volume is in the DPF.
post #77 of 93 Old 03-18-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 R5 TDI
Quote:
Actually, 652 grams are too much even for two DPF replacements. It is, however, obviously not too high, but actually very close to exhaust temperatures during regen. So, my guess is that whatever device that is, it's simply reading the wrong blocks or using the wrong label file for the engine, and is actually picking up some temperature readings instead of the ash mass, and displaying the former as the latter.

This theory could be of course easily verified by checking the values again and seeing what "ash" amount is displayed now, or whether it shows some fluctuations during live observation. A temperature value will obviously fluctuate and show a few hundreds less right after startup, while an actual ash mass reading will not show any change or only a slight increase to last time.

That said there's indeed a possibility on some (if not on all) engines to tell the ECU to substract a value from the ash load from whatever it thinks it is, by setting a carbon mass "offset" or "learned value". This is what's used if the DPF has been replaced, and it's not the absolute ash that's reset, because afaik that can't. I guess this is to prevent tampering with the ash amount, and to make any "resets" trackable.

But then again, as said, 652 grams are two much even for two DPF replacements. So, most likely that's not the case here, but the tool is simply reading the wrong MVB for that engine.
post #78 of 93 Old 03-18-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnits View Post
That said there's indeed a possibility on some (if not on all) engines to tell the ECU to substract a value from the ash load from whatever it thinks it is, by setting a carbon mass "offset" or "learned value". This is what's used if the DPF has been replaced, and it's not the absolute ash that's reset, because afaik that can't. I guess this is to prevent tampering with the ash amount, and to make any "resets" trackable.
It can be "zeroed" out..... I've had to do that on mine to get an emergency regen to take place after allowing the soot buildup to go way past the 45g that's allowable by the ECU nannies....

Also, I'm fairly certain that on the 2L system, the ash load is in [ml] and not [g], so that readout seems very odd indeed.
Check MBV 241 (once again, going by memory so not sure if that's the one for sure)
post #79 of 93 Old 03-18-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 R5 TDI
Quote:
It can be "zeroed" out..... I've had to do that on mine to get an emergency regen to take place after allowing the soot buildup to go way past the 45g that's allowable by the ECU nannies....
I'm talking about ash. You're talking about soot. Two different things. Ash level reaching 45 grams definitely does not hinder regeneration by any means, as that's part of a normal operation after a while. For ex. my ash level is about to pass 90 grams, and that value will only get bigger, until it reaches full capacity, at which time the DPF will need to be replaced.
post #80 of 93 Old 03-18-2019

Garage
Quote:

Also, I'm fairly certain that on the 2L system, the ash load is in [ml] and not [g], so that readout seems very odd indeed.
Check MBV 241 (once again, going by memory so not sure if that's the one for sure)
Nothing odd about it. The volume is in mL and the mass is in g, as I already posted.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode