DPF levels and regeneration - Page 7 - Club Touareg Forums
 3Likes

post #61 of 93 Old 02-01-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odessa View Post
.... you seem to have a massive wealth of knowledge you are keen to pool into the community I for one am very appreciative of the extra knowledge thankyou
Well... I'm very stubborn and when my 2L TDI had issues about 5 years ago, everyone and everything I could find on forums about my problem was along the lines of "you need to replace the DPF". I refused to accept this, as my car was functioning perfectly in terms of performance otherwise, and my mechanical engineering and IT backgrounds were telling me that this would be impossible IF THE DPF WAS CLOGGED beyond repaid. Based on my practical mechanical and technology skills and comprehension of reality, I started reading every SSP program I could find on the engine\systems in order to find a solution. Eventually I did, and as a result I basically told the ECU that "I've replaced the DPF", to stop being a nanny, and to allow my emergency regen to take place.

Everyone at the time told me that I would burn my vehicle down as a result, and I will admit that I had concerns about it, but being so stubborn, I actually performed the emergency regen regardless, while driving down an empty freeway at illegal speeds, with a fire extinguisher by my side, while being OK with the idea of potentially having to pull over and watch my car burn to ash on the side of the road.

Other than that, I've had a few VWs in my past, raced\modified both cars\trucks and motorcycles, and have always done my own wrenching as much as possible..... plus been around a few forums and have had plenty of exposure to others who have provided both good and bad knowledge....

No one knows it all, but collectively, we know a lot.

Anyways, I just recently picked up the Touareg after the dieselgate, especially because I am very familiar with all that fiasco from still owning my Jetta and having gone through it all, and as a result, now I'm following the same "going to school approach" on the 3L system which is very similar to the 2L system.....

Why do I feel like I just had a job interview? LOL
nickyt and marktdi like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 93 Old 02-02-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2009 V6 TDI
Awesome good man..... insight is always a precious tool thank you although you didnt need to go that far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboABA View Post
Well... I'm very stubborn and when my 2L TDI had issues about 5 years ago, everyone and everything I could find on forums about my problem was along the lines of "you need to replace the DPF". I refused to accept this, as my car was functioning perfectly in terms of performance otherwise, and my mechanical engineering and IT backgrounds were telling me that this would be impossible IF THE DPF WAS CLOGGED beyond repaid. Based on my practical mechanical and technology skills and comprehension of reality, I started reading every SSP program I could find on the engine\systems in order to find a solution. Eventually I did, and as a result I basically told the ECU that "I've replaced the DPF", to stop being a nanny, and to allow my emergency regen to take place.

Everyone at the time told me that I would burn my vehicle down as a result, and I will admit that I had concerns about it, but being so stubborn, I actually performed the emergency regen regardless, while driving down an empty freeway at illegal speeds, with a fire extinguisher by my side, while being OK with the idea of potentially having to pull over and watch my car burn to ash on the side of the road.

Other than that, I've had a few VWs in my past, raced\modified both cars\trucks and motorcycles, and have always done my own wrenching as much as possible..... plus been around a few forums and have had plenty of exposure to others who have provided both good and bad knowledge....

No one knows it all, but collectively, we know a lot.

Anyways, I just recently picked up the Touareg after the dieselgate, especially because I am very familiar with all that fiasco from still owning my Jetta and having gone through it all, and as a result, now I'm following the same "going to school approach" on the 3L system which is very similar to the 2L system.....

Why do I feel like I just had a job interview? LOL

MY08 - 2009 - TDI V6 (CASA) - APR Tune *** Zenec ZE-NC2051D - Bluetooth - USB - DVD & MZone *** Air Suspension - AFS Xenon - OEM Rear Full Spare - OEM Tow Pack - TPMS. *** Alex G : Light bar, Winch bar - PLUS 8T Winch, Rock-sliders, front & centre under body armour protection, Rear Diff (Flying Nun) and Rear A-Arm armour Protection. *** Car DNA rear lights - Ulter Sport Exhaust Tips - M&H Pro Vent 200 - Team Heko Deflectors.

MY05 - V8 Loved, lost but never forgotten. (Gone)
post #63 of 93 Old 02-17-2019

From my own experience (T3 2013 V6 TDI Touareg) the "passive" burn of the soot in the DPF deosn't happen until I'm cruising at about 85MPH.
You can tell this is a German car if they think Autobahn speeds are the norm !

The android app "VAG DPF" in combination with a cheap Bluetooth ELM327 ODB device gives a very good overview of the state of the DPF without resorting to VCDS.

This screen shot was taken with the engine off, but when cruising there is a line above the picture of the DPF which shows a positive or negative figure showing the quantity of soot being add to or burn from the DPF.

When an active regen is taking place the bottom 3 tiles "post injection x" will show non zero numbers. I think it's the quantity of extra fuel injected at those locations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181212-093346.png
Views:	32
Size:	415.4 KB
ID:	221027  
nickyt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 93 Old 02-17-2019 Thread Starter
Learner

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2015 V8 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadger View Post
From my own experience (T3 2013 V6 TDI Touareg) the "passive" burn of the soot in the DPF deosn't happen until I'm cruising at about 85MPH.

The android app "VAG DPF" in combination with a cheap Bluetooth ELM327 ODB device gives a very good overview of the state of the DPF without resorting to VCDS.

This screen shot was taken with the engine off, but when cruising there is a line above the picture of the DPF which shows a positive or negative figure showing the quantity of soot being add to or burn from the DPF.

When an active regen is taking place the bottom 3 tiles "post injection x" will show non zero numbers. I think it's the quantity of extra fuel injected at those locations.
Thanks for sharing thisTadger!
Will be getting this bt dongle!

Btw passive regen occurs around town at low speeds as well, atleast for me, and on the highway here at speeds much lower.
I have recorded regen at 70-80 kmph

Would be great to have this info as in the app, displayed on mfi or nav screen.
We need a vag programmer!

V8 TDI R line MY15, White, Panoramic roof, VW towbar. Dynamic Road Sign Recognition, Lane Assist, Traffic Reports, Google Earth enabled. All Led.

V10 TDI, MYO6 on Conti CrossContact 255/60/18s with RNS510, Paddle Shifters, Rear Diff lock, Mounted Spare, Bluetooth, 4 Zone CC, Keyless, AFS Xenons, TPMS, Easy Entry/Exit, Twin Batteries, Air Suspension, Sunroof, Icom IC440 UHF radio...

Had, Sold & Missed...V6 petrol on Pirelli AT's with Sat Nav, Rear Diff lock, Bluetooth & Phatbox.
post #65 of 93 Old 02-17-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 R5 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Quote:
Makes sense, because for the burn to happen a relatively high temperature needs to be reached.

Quote:
They do not think this is a norm. Rather this (ie. at speeds above 85 MPH) is where the burn will unavoidably happen, because the exhaust gets so hot, that it ignites the soot. This is not a controlled process - at least not in the terms of the ECU initiating it intentionally.

Quote:
Yes. But as you said, that's the active regeneration, when the ECU itself is initiating and controlling the burn process. And this will also happen at speeds way below 85MPH, whenever necessary, because passive regeneration not happening or not happening fast and frequently enough.
post #66 of 93 Old 03-14-2019

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Garage
My situation seems strange.

I have the DPF measurements from my 2013 Exec

and then the one from my 2015 GSW

Is the GSW's high measured soot load due to the dealership not really replacing the DPF a few months ago during phase 2 fix or a sensor malfunction?
post #67 of 93 Old 03-14-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Soot load fluctuates up and down. It's the ash that you need to look at.
post #68 of 93 Old 03-15-2019 Thread Starter
Learner

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2015 V8 TDI
GSW?
If the soot continues to build and a regen cannot occur due to short runs then car will go into limp mode.
Ash levels overall indicate how full your dpf is and when it gets full of ash it needs to be replaced

V8 TDI R line MY15, White, Panoramic roof, VW towbar. Dynamic Road Sign Recognition, Lane Assist, Traffic Reports, Google Earth enabled. All Led.

V10 TDI, MYO6 on Conti CrossContact 255/60/18s with RNS510, Paddle Shifters, Rear Diff lock, Mounted Spare, Bluetooth, 4 Zone CC, Keyless, AFS Xenons, TPMS, Easy Entry/Exit, Twin Batteries, Air Suspension, Sunroof, Icom IC440 UHF radio...

Had, Sold & Missed...V6 petrol on Pirelli AT's with Sat Nav, Rear Diff lock, Bluetooth & Phatbox.
post #69 of 93 Old 03-15-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh View Post
GSW?
2L TDI terminology..... Golf SportWagen
post #70 of 93 Old 03-15-2019

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboABA View Post
Soot load fluctuates up and down. It's the ash that you need to look at.
Good point, I'll check that right now. I just haven't seen anyone report such a high load before, that particular measurement has only been increasing and not fluctuating lower, and the delta between Calc and Meas is so wide it seems like an issue. I expected it to look like the Touaregs values.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode