Advertisement

post #32 of 93 Old 01-24-2019 Thread Starter
Learner

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2015 V8 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboABA View Post
Thanks, good to know!

V8 TDI R line MY15, White, Panoramic roof, VW towbar. Dynamic Road Sign Recognition, Lane Assist, Traffic Reports, Google Earth enabled. All Led.

V10 TDI, MYO6 on Conti CrossContact 255/60/18s with RNS510, Paddle Shifters, Rear Diff lock, Mounted Spare, Bluetooth, 4 Zone CC, Keyless, AFS Xenons, TPMS, Easy Entry/Exit, Twin Batteries, Air Suspension, Sunroof, Icom IC440 UHF radio...

Had, Sold & Missed...V6 petrol on Pirelli AT's with Sat Nav, Rear Diff lock, Bluetooth & Phatbox.
post #33 of 93 Old 01-24-2019 Thread Starter
Learner

If one can manage dpf levels with vcds and do a regen manually whenever soot goes over 28g(city drivers) this begs the question whether there is merit in frequent long trips just to ensure a regen is happening.

I mean which method is better to have lower ash levels overall- manual regen in city driving or automated ecu driven on a high speed run.

Btw, does anyone know what are the exact parameters when the ecu automatically will initiate a regen- what the soot, coolant temp, rpm, speed, etc levels have timo be?

V8 TDI R line MY15, White, Panoramic roof, VW towbar. Dynamic Road Sign Recognition, Lane Assist, Traffic Reports, Google Earth enabled. All Led.

V10 TDI, MYO6 on Conti CrossContact 255/60/18s with RNS510, Paddle Shifters, Rear Diff lock, Mounted Spare, Bluetooth, 4 Zone CC, Keyless, AFS Xenons, TPMS, Easy Entry/Exit, Twin Batteries, Air Suspension, Sunroof, Icom IC440 UHF radio...

Had, Sold & Missed...V6 petrol on Pirelli AT's with Sat Nav, Rear Diff lock, Bluetooth & Phatbox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 93 Old 01-25-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 R5 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh View Post
If one can manage dpf levels with vcds and do a regen manually whenever soot goes over 28g(city drivers) this begs the question whether there is merit in frequent long trips just to ensure a regen is happening.
As already explained previously, frequent long trips are absolutely not _necessary_ for an auto regen to happen. Lots of people are driving Touaregs in mostly city traffic, and they have generally no problems with auto regens happening. If they have, then there's something wrong with the car's systems, and it's not working properly for some reason - and that's why the regen is not happening.

That said making a longer trip every once in a while definitely can have it's benefits, but they're definitely not required for the DPF to work as intended and for its regeneration cycles happening. However, it might help with general (de)carbonization of the engine and exhaust components, albeit obviously only to a limited degree.

Quote:
I mean which method is better to have lower ash levels overall- manual regen in city driving or automated ecu driven on a high speed run.
The best method is to let the ECU to do its job on its own. As long as it can do that, there's no reason to interfere (well, at least not the "hard" way), because you can't possibly know what's working better and more effectively than VW's engineers who spent decades with experimenting and trying to figure out the best and optimal method to manage soot levels. The VCDS method is only there for emergency purposes, when for some reasons the car's systems couldn't do their job - but there's no reason to fall back to emergency regeneration while they are working fine.

Quote:
Btw, does anyone know what are the exact parameters when the ecu automatically will initiate a regen- what the soot, coolant temp, rpm, speed, etc levels have timo be?
The related Ross-Tech page lists some numbers for the forced regen, and I think it's safe to assume, that the same parameters apply to auto regens. The only distinction between these should be that auto regen is initiated based on the calculated soot level, which in turn is determined by the ECU by measuring the pressure difference between the two ends of the particle filter.
post #35 of 93 Old 01-25-2019 Thread Starter
Learner

Thanks Gnits, maketh sense.

Its good to know the parameters to ensure one can assist or make it easier for a regen to occur around town.
I will keep monitoring the levels over the months and compare to those who are mainly using their Touareg for long runs

post #36 of 93 Old 01-25-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
I believe some of you are somewhat miss-understanding things a little.
Jumping to that conclusion, I will now attempt to give you the Cole's Notes

- Soot is what is generated by the engine, and this amount will vary based on operating conditions. Not all users will generate the same amounts based on their specific conditions, use, operating parameters, system health, driving habits, etc.
- Once a certain level of the above soot accumulated in the DPF, the system recognizes that it needs a regeneration to "clean the DPF".
- When any regen occurs, weather it is passive, active, ECU or VCDS triggered, it results in ASH (ash is the left over product.... think of burning a log in a camp fire... same principle)
- The above ASH will never go away, and it collects in the DPF. As you can imagine, there's a limited volume that can be stored. Once this volume is maxxed out, you need to replace the DPF as it is clogged (read FULL).

This is the reason why not every vehicle needs a replacement after the same amount of milage or use.
post #37 of 93 Old 01-25-2019 Thread Starter
Learner

Quote:
I believe some of you are somewhat miss-understanding things a little.
Jumping to that conclusion, I will now attempt to give you the Cole's Notes

- Soot is what is generated by the engine, and this amount will vary based on operating conditions. Not all users will generate the same amounts based on their specific conditions, use, operating parameters, system health, driving habits, etc.
- Once a certain level of the above soot accumulated in the DPF, the system recognizes that it needs a regeneration to "clean the DPF".
- When any regen occurs, weather it is passive, active, ECU or VCDS triggered, it results in ASH (ash is the left over product.... think of burning a log in a camp fire... same principle)
- The above ASH will never go away, and it collects in the DPF. As you can imagine, there's a limited volume that can be stored. Once this volume is maxxed out, you need to replace the DPF as it is clogged (read FULL).

This is the reason why not every vehicle needs a replacement after the same amount of milage or use.
Thanks, that’s exactly my understanding.

So theoretically Touaregs that are primarily being driven on long runs vs mostly city should have less ash over lets say 100,000 or 200,000 kms.
Would be good to compare the ash loads between the two.

post #38 of 93 Old 01-25-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Quote:
There are all sorts of such posts on various other TDI forums, especially 2L ones that are much more common .... There really is no point to it..... Each one of us uses our vehicles in a specific way and conditions. If my commute to work is 50mi each way, all freeway, and yours is 5mi each way through town, I very much doubt that you will get a job in another city just to reduce your ASH / mile ratio......

But I could be wrong
post #39 of 93 Old 01-25-2019 Thread Starter
Learner

Quote:
Quote:
There are all sorts of such posts on various other TDI forums, especially 2L ones that are much more common .... There really is no point to it..... Each one of us uses our vehicles in a specific way and conditions. If my commute to work is 50mi each way, all freeway, and yours is 5mi each way through town, I very much doubt that you will get a job in another city just to reduce your ASH / mile ratio......

But I could be wrong
Thanks TurboABA.
Yes, did note some of the other threads around, especially 2 liter diesel, but keen on Touareg specifics, given its clubtouareg it makes it relevant for me atleast.

Not intending to move or change my commute but trying to understand tech as best.

post #40 of 93 Old 01-25-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 R5 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Quote:
So theoretically Touaregs that are primarily being driven on long runs vs mostly city should have less ash over lets say 100,000 or 200,000 kms.
With everything else being the same, yes. But fuel quality, oil levels/quality, general state of the engine components and driving habits (like how much you like to floor the pedal) also have an influence on how much soot is generated, or how effective regeneration can be. Possibly even more so than whether you're driving your car mostly in city or on highways. Like a worn injector, a bad MAF, or using too much or the wrong type of oil can contribute far more to excess generation of soot - and thus also ash - than city traffic. It's just one of the negative factors, that's however not determining per se.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in