DPF levels and regeneration - Page 3 - Club Touareg Forums
 3Likes

post #21 of 93 Old 01-18-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 R5 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Obviously a lot of people are driving Touaregs and other VW cars in city traffic, and generally none of them have problems with DPF regeneration. This particular car most likely had something other wrong with it, and that was what possibly caused the DPF problem - if it was a DPF problem in the first place.

As for the DPF cleaning: the general consensus about this is, that most non-invasive DPF cleaning methods (that somehow flush the filter with some fluid) do not really work, and even though they might remove some of the ash, they will definitely not regenerate to the filter to anywhere new level. They might help get rid of the DPF warning for a while, but in the long term they're not only not a solution, but cost more than buying a new filter in the first place.

There's also another method of DPF "cleaning", where they open up the filter housing, and actually replace the filter elements in it, then wield back the housing. This method theoretically resets the DPF capacity to original, but also has its own problems. The most prominent ones are that the new filter elements might not fit the housing perfectly, and thus the exhaust can blow by the filter, defeating its purpose. The other problem is that the DPF gets extremely hot, and the new welds might not be able to withstand this temperature. This will obviously result in a very dangerous situation, where the car can burn down during a regeneration attempt.

All in all, the only real and reliable solution to "clean" the DPF is to replace it with a completely new one. Now, obviously VW will charge a small fortune for a new filter, but there are reputable 3rd parties that supply perfectly fine and reliable new filters, which can be purchased at reasonable prices. In the end DPF is just another "wear" item in a car, that has to be renewed every once in a while - even though with most cars that's just once (or two at most) in the lifetime of the vehicle.

However, your complaint on there being no indication of the DPF generation being in progress is valid, and it would be useful in many ways - even if that's not helping to avoid interruption of the process, because as said, in the end that doesn't matter much, and generally does not cause any problems whatsoever, unless there's something else wrong with the car. But if there would be such an indication, and the driver could see it start happening more often then usual, it could possibly help catch a lot of other problems early, like injector, air intake or boost problems, which all increase the amount of soot generated and thus also the frequency of DPF regenerations.

It is beyond me why VW decided not to provide _any_ feedback on DPF regeneration visible to the driver - but I'm pretty sure they had a very good business reason to do so. Like saving 50 cents in manufacturing costs of a car with a sticker price of $70.000+.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 93 Old 01-19-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Good point well made.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
post #23 of 93 Old 01-19-2019 Thread Starter
Learner

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2015 V8 TDI
Wonder if these dof values can be shown in the nav screen- even in the green screen, or with an obd bluetooth connector thingys

V8 TDI R line MY15, White, Panoramic roof, VW towbar. Dynamic Road Sign Recognition, Lane Assist, Traffic Reports, Google Earth enabled. All Led.

V10 TDI, MYO6 on Conti CrossContact 255/60/18s with RNS510, Paddle Shifters, Rear Diff lock, Mounted Spare, Bluetooth, 4 Zone CC, Keyless, AFS Xenons, TPMS, Easy Entry/Exit, Twin Batteries, Air Suspension, Sunroof, Icom IC440 UHF radio...

Had, Sold & Missed...V6 petrol on Pirelli AT's with Sat Nav, Rear Diff lock, Bluetooth & Phatbox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 93 Old 01-19-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 R5 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh View Post
Wonder if these dof values can be shown in the nav screen- even in the green screen, or with an obd bluetooth connector thingys
I'm not sure about the generic OBD2 readers, but with one that can read the VAG-COM measuring blocks and transfer that somehow to the screen you definitely can, because load values, DPF regeneration status, and even things like distance and total fuel consumption since last regeneration are stored and easily readable through the appropriate MVBs. What exact blocks you've to read depends on the actual engine code though.

Original RNS units are at disadvantage here, but Android based ones that can run apps like Torque should have it very easy. That said I even saw custom circuitry built that could not only display numeric data, but even graphs of MVBs over time on those small red-colored MFDs in Golfs and such (which I think worked used standard CAN-bus packets) - so, its technically definitely doable. But I'm not aware of such solutions being sold for Touaregs.
post #25 of 93 Old 01-20-2019 Thread Starter
Learner

I had a quick look at the green screen, and I can see scan results and errors across all modules can be displayed- one doesn’t even need vcds to run a scan to see any errors- just use your green screen menu!
Dpf fault and error will show here so that’s a good thing, but would be good to get an ongoing reading rather than waiting for when its too late

V8 TDI R line MY15, White, Panoramic roof, VW towbar. Dynamic Road Sign Recognition, Lane Assist, Traffic Reports, Google Earth enabled. All Led.

V10 TDI, MYO6 on Conti CrossContact 255/60/18s with RNS510, Paddle Shifters, Rear Diff lock, Mounted Spare, Bluetooth, 4 Zone CC, Keyless, AFS Xenons, TPMS, Easy Entry/Exit, Twin Batteries, Air Suspension, Sunroof, Icom IC440 UHF radio...

Had, Sold & Missed...V6 petrol on Pirelli AT's with Sat Nav, Rear Diff lock, Bluetooth & Phatbox.
post #26 of 93 Old 01-20-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
The following is my gathered knowledge from 1st hand experience, on my 2L TDI Jetta (2010, owned since new).
The DPF system is very similar to the 3L on my 2014 Treg, and I can only assume that it functions very similarly.

Since I've been the one and only driver, I have driven (and still do) all of the 248k+ kms on it, in various conditions and driving\commuting styles, and have monitored things over time. During the past 9 years, I have changed jobs and residences a few times, so my driving patterns have varied from long 50kms each way, trafficless commutes, to 13km each way, stop-and-go ones, to anything in between.

Regardless, based on my experience, the system is quite complex and takes a lot of reading from all sorts of sensors, etc. It has fail safes built in, and although it is stated all over the place that you must replace the DPF if you exceed a certain amount of soot, etc., I can tell you that if you force a system regen using some common sense once you've reached those limits, you can avoid burning your vehicle down, etc. I exceeded those limits over 125k+ kms ago, and I did what everyone and everything told me not to do (forced a regen) and my system/car still functions and drives 4 years later, etc.

Ofcourse, there's a physical limit to how much ASH the system can store in terms of volume, so yes, it has a limited life.
Lastly, you guys need to realize that there's no real reference milage/value that you can go by in terms of other user's experience. The actual driving patterns\styles\conditions of each vehicle will generate different amounts of soot\regens\ash over the same milage. As stated above, I've seen these exact changes in my 2L over the last 9 years of monitoring it.
post #27 of 93 Old 01-21-2019 Thread Starter
Learner

Thanks for sharing the experience.
Have you ever noticed regen occurring?

post #28 of 93 Old 01-21-2019

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnits View Post

It is beyond me why VW decided not to provide _any_ feedback on DPF regeneration visible to the driver - but I'm pretty sure they had a very good business reason to do so. Like saving 50 cents in manufacturing costs of a car with a sticker price of $70.000+.
The why not actually seems fairly straightforward to me. VW claims that the regen process should be transparent to the driver/owner, so why present any information that might lead anyone to refute that claim?
post #29 of 93 Old 01-22-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Quote:
In the Touareg, I can't tell thus far......
In my Jetta, I can easily tell..... by the RPM at idle, by the smell of the exhaust, by the cooling fans going bonkers, by the drop in full tank range.... and I've also added a ScanGaugeII with which I constantly monitor EGTs before the turbo (among many other parameters).....
As of lately, my Jetta is doing regens like it's going out of style (especially after the "fix")
post #30 of 93 Old 01-23-2019 Thread Starter
Learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboABA View Post
Quote:
In the Touareg, I can't tell thus far......
In my Jetta, I can easily tell..... by the RPM at idle, by the smell of the exhaust, by the cooling fans going bonkers, by the drop in full tank range.... and I've also added a ScanGaugeII with which I constantly monitor EGTs before the turbo (among many other parameters).....
As of lately, my Jetta is doing regens like it's going out of style (especially after the "fix")
Thanks TurboABA
Seems it quite inconspicuous in the Touareg.
I have never been able to tell when its happening, so the vcds doesn’t lie I guess and tells you how many seconds ago a regen was undertaken- refer the picture in the first post.
On my next freeway run i will keep the laptop connected and see if it can be picked up in real time- supported by passenger of course!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode