Differential Fluids - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 6 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Garage
Differential Fluids

I'm planning on changing my differential fluids on my 05 Volkswagen Touareg V8 but I don't know the type of fluid I need. I read somewhere on the forum that locking differentials needs different fluids than the non-locking ones. I attached a picture of my differential control switch in the center console for a reference. Which fluids do I need? Part number? Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0013b0110f5f1c58e30d4e3a76be8f14.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	223935  

TOUAREG Enthusiast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
You have the standard center locking diff. All of the T1 generation has that.

You have the optional rear center diff lock. That is a rare option.

You front diff is non locking. To the best of my knowledge, all North America market Touaregs had the open front diff.

clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/drivetrain-fluids-2006-4-2-v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost View Post
Greetings All,

I've owned my 2006 V8 for almost a year now. Since it was up to 110,000 miles and we tow a camper several times a year, I decided a replacement of drivetrain fluids was overdue. Some research on this site revealed some confusion on rear differential fluids, so I figured I would post what I used for this service:

Transmission: VW/Audi calls for G 055 025 A2. I used the Ravenol ATF T-IV that came with a Blauparts ATF fluid/filter kit since it specifically stated it met the VW ATF spec. The kit came with 9 liters of ATF, but I was only able to add about 6.75L because I didn't blow out lines for the transmission cooler. With the towing we do, I do this service more often (2 years or 20K miles) so I'm OK with not replacing that last 2.25L.

Transfer Case:
VW/Audi calls for G 052 515 A2 and I elected to use this because it was rather unclear what other fluids would match the spec. The good news is that this 0.85 liter bottle is exactly the amount to add; just empty the bottle into the empty transfer case and you're done.

Front Differential:
VW/Audi calls for the G 052 145 S2. This is a GL-4 spec gear oil and there are several non-VW brands available (for example, from the Ravenol GL-4 from Blauparts). I elected to use the VW oil. You'll need 1 liter (1 bottle) and you'll use almost all of it.

Rear Differential (non-locking):
VW/Audi calls for the G 052 145 S2. This is the same as for the front diff, but only if you don't have the rear diff lock. This is where some of the threads here got confused. Some posts swore that the front and rear diffs took the same fluid and other posts swore that they took different fluids. As is so often the case, the answer is "it depends". By the way, you'll need 1.25L (2 bottles).

Rear Differential (locking):
VW/Audi calls for the G 052 196 A2 (synthetic). This is a GL-5 gear oil (Blauparts offers a Ravenol version). My Touareg has a locking rear diff, so this is what I needed. I elected to use this VW oil this time since I was researching this through a local dealer. You'll need 1.6 liter (2 bottles).

For the rear differential, I could go with the Ravenol fluids next time and save ~$40. However, <shrug> this is an expensive vehicle with a complex drivetrain and the extra $40 to give it exactly what it wants doesn't bug me that much. Opinions on this will vary.

Best regards,

Paul
2006 Touareg V8
post #3 of 6 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you! So if I understand correctly and on the right track, if I want to change the fluids, I need to change the front differential and rear differential (locking) fluids only.

I hear the wheel bearing type sound on the passenger right. Its been there since I bought the car at 74000 miles and I'm driving into 79,000 real soon. My mechanic said it is the wheel bearing just by riding in the car with me. I have a new wheel bearing and wheel hub. But I want to get the fluids out of the way since it's the easiest thing to do first. Anyone with an idea, thought, inputs? Thank you

If it is a differential issue, where can I get the differential bearing and how many? Anyone know the part number?

TOUAREG Enthusiast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
Most people change front, center, and rear diff oil.

Ravenol makes the special fluid for the center locking diff.

Ravenol makes the special fluid for the rear locking diff.

The front diff uses standard oil, so that one is easy to get.

clubtouareg.com/forums/f95/automatic-transmission-transfer-case-front-and-rear-differential-fluid-changes
post #5 of 6 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Garage
Ok thank you
I'm gonna get the fluids changed and wheel bearing and wheel hub and see what happens.
Any comments is appreciated

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

TOUAREG Enthusiast
post #6 of 6 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2005 V8
On all differentials make sure you can remove the top fill plug before you try to remove the drain plugs.

Tags
touareg 1 , touareg 2004 , touareg 2005 v8 , touareg 2006 , touareg v8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode