DFE and adblue delete, Malone or APR tuning - Club Touareg Forums
 4Likes

post #1 of 95 Old 11-25-2017 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
DFE and adblue delete, Malone or APR tuning

Hey guys.

I have a 2014 TDI 3.0L and am going to receive the fix soon. Rather than deal with the crappy fix I want to go with a software tune and possibly even delete the emissions stuff. (yes I'm aware it's off road only)

Thinking something like this

https://malonetuning.com/ecu-tuning/...tdi/30l-v6-tdi

https://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_tdi.html

and possibly this
https://www.rawtekinc.com/collection...ant=7740600835

Does anyone have experience with these mods and tunes? Not too worried about cost, just want a reliable, more powerful Touareg with good MPGs. Don't care about emissions as they don't test in my area.

14' Touareg R-Line TDI
06' GTI
88' Dakota V-6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 95 Old 11-25-2017

I actually just did this to my 2013 Touareg LUX. I wasn't a big fan of the new shift points and had some shudder in the lower RPM's doing city driving. I scheduled an appointment with a Malone reseller who also installed the buzzken DPF delete. Performance change is remarkable, torque is through the roof. I made a calculated bet to get VW's fix, then take it to get tuned. Really the only thing I am worried about is the HPFP blowing up and any warranty work (or issues I might encounter because of tune) necessary. If anything this should extend the life of cat and turbo.

MPG's you might get 10%, although with the added power its hard to not use it and decrease the milage with a heavy foot.

With the tune and delete I dont really hear much change in exhaust note, although under even moderate throttle you can definitely see the diesel cloud out the exhaust. It now smells like a diesel too, which could turn some people off. You cant smell this in the cabin but once you roll windows down or in the garage its noticeable.
post #3 of 95 Old 11-25-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
i suggest jrauto tuning....for the 3.0 they are on top...my tuner is buzzken and we have tried both, jr is the way to go...silky smooth power house

2012 Highline Touareg v6 TDI - 8spd - Silver - Weathertechs - Buzzken Downpipe/Dpf/Scr Pipes - Hybrid 2260 - 4 Bar Map - JR Auto Performance/Buzzken Stage 3 Tune - 31 BFG k02s - Cayenne Trans Coding - Gutted/Painted Muffler - Full Led Swap - EGR Cooler Delete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 95 Old 11-25-2017 Thread Starter

What was your reasoning for doing the DFE, delete and not just the tune? The guys at Malone say the tune works well either way.

14' Touareg R-Line TDI
06' GTI
88' Dakota V-6
post #5 of 95 Old 11-25-2017 Thread Starter

Did you just do the tune?

14' Touareg R-Line TDI
06' GTI
88' Dakota V-6
post #6 of 95 Old 11-26-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfolkmann View Post
I actually just did this to my 2013 Touareg LUX. I wasn't a big fan of the new shift points and had some shudder in the lower RPM's doing city driving. I scheduled an appointment with a Malone reseller who also installed the buzzken DPF delete. Performance change is remarkable, torque is through the roof. I made a calculated bet to get VW's fix, then take it to get tuned. Really the only thing I am worried about is the HPFP blowing up and any warranty work (or issues I might encounter because of tune) necessary. If anything this should extend the life of cat and turbo.

MPG's you might get 10%, although with the added power its hard to not use it and decrease the milage with a heavy foot.

With the tune and delete I dont really hear much change in exhaust note, although under even moderate throttle you can definitely see the diesel cloud out the exhaust. It now smells like a diesel too, which could turn some people off. You cant smell this in the cabin but once you roll windows down or in the garage its noticeable.
What was your reasoning for doing the delete and the tune instead of just the tune?

14' Touareg R-Line TDI
06' GTI
88' Dakota V-6
post #7 of 95 Old 11-26-2017

I did it for a couple reasons.

1. More power with the tune.
2. Less complex system.

I debated the pro's and cons of tuning and doing the delete, but honestly the delete takes care of so many issues the TDI is notorious for. No more ad-blue, no more issues with DPF and SCR, no more issues with ad-blue heater. Overall it leads to less wear on turbo's and EGR valve. Outside of turbo failure, or HPFP failure, I cant see many other things to worry about. It could be short sighted of me, but the power is unreal.

If I do have issues I have all the parts and can tune it back to stock. I know on the Audi side they flag you for ANY changes made to the ECU, whether the tune is stock or not, so I figured if I am going to do it, why not go big. I would have to enquire with Malone, but I am wondering if tune without delete leads to faster DPF failure or regeneration.
post #8 of 95 Old 11-27-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
I did it for a couple reasons.

1. More power with the tune.
2. Less complex system.

I debated the pro's and cons of tuning and doing the delete, but honestly the delete takes care of so many issues the TDI is notorious for. No more ad-blue, no more issues with DPF and SCR, no more issues with ad-blue heater. Overall it leads to less wear on turbo's and EGR valve. Outside of turbo failure, or HPFP failure, I cant see many other things to worry about. It could be short sighted of me, but the power is unreal.

If I do have issues I have all the parts and can tune it back to stock. I know on the Audi side they flag you for ANY changes made to the ECU, whether the tune is stock or not, so I figured if I am going to do it, why not go big. I would have to enquire with Malone, but I am wondering if tune without delete leads to faster DPF failure or regeneration.
Well, I guess my last question is this. Since my wife commutes in the car. Do you think she'd notice the smell and additional black smoke in the rear view mirror?

14' Touareg R-Line TDI
06' GTI
88' Dakota V-6
post #9 of 95 Old 11-27-2017

I had this same dilemma actually. I didn't make a point of bringing it up and she hasn't said anything. Unless you are letting your TDI idle in enclosed spaces I would say its unnoticeable. Since its winter I haven't had much of an opportunity to roll the windows down, but if you sit in traffic with the windows down in the summer I would say you might notice it. Its definitely NOT noticeable in the cabin.

As far as driving and seeing smoke, I notice it because i am looking for it, but after a week my wife hasn't said anything. If you had someone following you and you floor it, you would give them a pretty solid cloud.

All that said, I love the performance gains.
post #10 of 95 Old 11-27-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
I had this same dilemma actually. I didn't make a point of bringing it up and she hasn't said anything. Unless you are letting your TDI idle in enclosed spaces I would say its unnoticeable. Since its winter I haven't had much of an opportunity to roll the windows down, but if you sit in traffic with the windows down in the summer I would say you might notice it. Its definitely NOT noticeable in the cabin.

As far as driving and seeing smoke, I notice it because i am looking for it, but after a week my wife hasn't said anything. If you had someone following you and you floor it, you would give them a pretty solid cloud.

All that said, I love the performance gains.
LOL. This is about what I figured. I'd like to just do the delete's and be done with it. She doesn't floor it much so I doubt she'd notice. But she works for IDEM (indiana department of enviromental management) Which is basically state level EPA in air quality. Kinda funny either way.

Got any video of it rolling coal?

14' Touareg R-Line TDI
06' GTI
88' Dakota V-6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode