1Likes
  • 1 Post By alfissimo

post #1 of 5 Old 05-08-2019 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 R5 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Aftermarket EGR coolers - any good?

Hi!

Does anyone have experience with using aftermarket EGR coolers? I'm looking for a "070 131 512 F" unit, but the genuine VW costs an exorbitant $800, which obviously is just not worth it, especially that mine's not leaking or something, but is just not actuated properly. So, I'm not in a dire need to replace it, and will definitely not do it for $800 or more.

Aftermarket units at eBay seem to go around $150-200, which is obviously a huge difference. I'm just not sure what to expect from them, or whether they will actually cool anything.

So, did anyone buy any of these aftermarket coolers? Did they actually work? Any problems with them? Where did you actually buy yours?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2008 V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnits View Post
Hi!

Does anyone have experience with using aftermarket EGR coolers? I'm looking for a "070 131 512 F" unit, but the genuine VW costs an exorbitant $800, which obviously is just not worth it, especially that mine's not leaking or something, but is just not actuated properly. So, I'm not in a dire need to replace it, and will definitely not do it for $800 or more.

Aftermarket units at eBay seem to go around $150-200, which is obviously a huge difference. I'm just not sure what to expect from them, or whether they will actually cool anything.

So, did anyone buy any of these aftermarket coolers? Did they actually work? Any problems with them? Where did you actually buy yours?

Thanks for your help.

Not usefully input here...but what is the benefit of any aftermarket one vs the current one in it? Is it failing and if so...how?

2008 V6 Lux+ Pkg with factory towing
Alaska grey
Delaware, Ohio
post #3 of 5 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 R5 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboncow View Post
Not usefully input here...but what is the benefit of any aftermarket one vs the current one in it?
You mean besides a price of 1/5th of the original?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboncow View Post
Is it failing and if so...how?
There are several ways these coolers can fail:
1. Their housing can crack. Usually does it near the turbo. As a result, exhaust fumes will escape the unit.
2. They can clog up with soot. Exhaust can not pass through anymore, so, you'll essentially have an EGR delete, which however will throw codes on later models.
3. Coolant can leak inside the cooler. This in turn will end up in the engine. Has initially a cleaning effect, but in the long term causes corrosion, damages the engine and hurts fuel economy.
4. The diaphragm inside the vacuum actuator will tear or get punctured, which in turn loses the ability to move the bypass valve flap control rod. This will result in increased soot generation and the engine reaching operating temperatures more slowly, because of EGR cooling taking place even when not needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Not sure about after market...but I just had mine replaced by the VW dealer near me here in TN, USA. It was causing a check engine code. They replaced it under warranty, but they had my 2013 TDi Lux for 7 weeks! I guess the parts had to come from Europe, but that is way too long. They gave me a 2019 VW Atlas as a loaner...i didn't like the Atlas at all. Glad to have mine back!
post #5 of 5 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Let me see what I can get it for and who it is made by. Aftermarket is not an issue most of the time. Most likely made by the same Manufacturer without the VW symbol on it. Saves a few hundred bucks. Make sure it's not made in China.

This one:

https://www.ebay.com/p/Exhaust-Gas-R...d=143126974413

Meat and Doria is nearly always OEM parts repackaged in their box. I order from them all the time. From Bosch to whatever is reboxed, sometimes name scrapped off. Saves lots of money. But I am not positive on this part. Could be cheap Chinese stuff. I'd rather get the OEM or similar.
trdltly likes this.

10' TDI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode