AdBlue Heater recall - Page 2 - Club Touareg Forums

post #11 of 15 Old 03-18-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
I have a "new" 2016 and have had no recall from VW to have it replaced,so I guess I will wait to have it fail. Car has only 5500 miles so far. My 2012 heater failed at about 40,000 miles,so I expect it will fail in my 2016.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 03-18-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
The replacement must take place from below. The suitcase muffler is dropped, the AdBlue tank is dropped, it is mounted under the trunk area above the muffler. Then the guts from the AdBlue tank are removed and the heater is replaced. The tank is re-installed (from below) and the muffler is re-installed. It's a 3 hour job, and not difficult when there's access to a lift . I think it would SUCK if you had to do it yourself on ramps and a creeper lying on your back.

If you had the dieselgate emissions recall repair done already, then the tank heater has already been replaced as part of that recall.
post #13 of 15 Old 03-18-2019

Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobytoogy View Post
I don't think you can expect VW to replace something under warranty that is working fine!
That is exactly what they wanted to do, because it is a recall/service campaign.

I declined because 1) I didn't want the hassle of leaving the car at the dealer 35 miles away for a day and 2) there is nothing wrong with the one I have. If it ever fails, it will get replaced under warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolmanJohn View Post
If you had the dieselgate emissions recall repair done already, then the tank heater has already been replaced as part of that recall.
The July 2018 recall/service campaign letter (Subject: Emissions Service Action 26K2 - Reductive Agent Heating Element (AdBlue Heater) 2009-2016 Model Year Volkswagen Touareg with TDI (Diesel) Engine) states:

"This service action is fully independent of the approved emissions modification recall / Emissions Compliant Repair on your vehicle."

Failure causes a MIL. If the MIL is on, the car will not pass an emissions inspection.

Gary, 13 TDI, Myakka City Florida
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 Old 03-25-2019

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
My Treg got a P229E emission code - Bank 2 NOx sensor - so we brought it to the dealer today, they told my wife there is a recall - Adblue Heater - and that they will replace it along with this repair - said it might take a couple days - wife got an Atlas loaner - interested to try that out - but anyway this is a 'RECALL' not a warranty. I was actually thrilled to have it done - as I am now over 90k - warrantied through ~120k - crossing fingers they will do a good job - this place has a pretty good rep.

So bottom line if you are approaching end off warranty - you can bring it in to have it done and not wait for it to break - i.e. past warranty period.
post #15 of 15 Old 03-25-2019 Thread Starter
Supporting Member

I had mine replaced under the recall. But I was curious of it goes I from the top or bottom due to some damage I found in the trunk area.

Also wondering if they ever put a gasket on the filler to keep it from sloshing everywhere when full.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode