2017 Sport w/Tech Engine Ingested Water - Club Touareg Forums
 2Likes

post #1 of 210 Old 07-11-2017 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2016 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
2017 Sport w/Tech Engine Ingested Water

Thursday, July 6 big rain (3" between midnight and 6 AM), still raining hard at 9:00 AM. Wife left for work (in hard rain), vehicle limped briefly then quit running after 100 yards. Did not drive through standing water. Vehicle transported to dealer via roll-back. Dealer says water in engine - serious damage.

Vehicle sat on driveway in the rain through the night - not moved until 9:00 AM.

I can't get my mind around how driving the vehicle in a hard rain could result in engine ingesting water. Is there any experience with this issue within the forum?

Thanks. Comments appreciated.

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 210 Old 09-10-2017

This has been treated as a known issue by VW China and they are recalling MY2015-2017 Touareg as many owners are facing this problem and filed complaints to the National Bureau of Automobile Quality. The root cause of it is that the rain drainage system in the engine compartment has a design fault. The rain water could leak into the engine intake pipe and then of course into the engine.

Check your air filter of the engine and see if it's wet. I have many pictures showing the drown air filters of Touareg but don't have the privilege to post them here as my post count < 5

Hope it helps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ethan For This Useful Post:
Hans-Joerg Burger (3 Weeks Ago), kettelkamp (05-24-2018)
post #3 of 210 Old 09-11-2017
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Ethan
Just post several times here using a couple of words to raise the post count and then post the pictures. We'll understand why!

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 210 Old 09-11-2017 Thread Starter

Ethan,

I greatly appreciate this info. I am following up and will post results of inquiries shortly.

Thanks.

Joe

Joe
post #5 of 210 Old 09-12-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
New engine coming your way. Hard to believe,since these cars are suppose to handle deep water driving. Obviously they aren't amphibius ,but any car can handle this. Anxious to hear the response from VW.
post #6 of 210 Old 09-15-2017 Thread Starter

Here's an update - Ethan - I'm still trying to get any information from VW China and People's Republic of China on the recall no luck (yet). Background: Purchased vehicle new in April 2017 from Annapolis, MD VW dealer. Dealer found the desired color at Virginia Beach, VA VW dealer (about 200 miles away), when vehicle accepted, had 600 miles on odometer. Carfax shows vehicle at Virginia Beach dealer 08/15/2016. Vehicle returned to us 09/06/17 with new factory engine. Dealer and VW America refused to honor warranty, stated "outside influence". Insurance paid for repairs and rental vehicle ($14,312.27), I am out $500.00 (comprehensive deductible) at this point. Since original problem not known at this point, family is not satisfied with repaired vehicle. We negotiated trade-in with Annapolis dealer for another 2017 Touareg, some financial assistance from VW America, we are now out $7299.74, but we have a new vehicle with a complete warranty (replacement engine was only warrantied for one year). Now I can look for the problem.

I looked at the air filter element on the new Touareg today, it was wet on the bottom. There is a drain at the low point of the tube TO the air box (from the front of the vehicle), it was completely blocked with fine dirt. The drain at the bottom of the air box was restricted by dirt, but open. Obviously, as previously posted, the air system design is faulty by design. I will have to keep these drains clear by frequent service and replacing a bunch of air filter elements. DO NOT use any 3rd party filters - they don't have the foam mesh part of the filters - use VW parts. I am not done with VW America by as long shot. I will post more as things develop - comments appreciated.

Joe
The Following User Says Thank You to v10builder1 For This Useful Post:
kettelkamp (05-22-2018)
post #7 of 210 Old 09-15-2017
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
It is going to take many reports filed at the NHTSA site to get the problem recalled.

What is a safety defect? Engine Suddenly Quits Running Qualifies www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallprocess.cfm

Direct Link to File a Safety Complaint www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
post #8 of 210 Old 10-16-2017

Oh man. I just bought a new 2017. I had not seen this particular issue when I researched the car. Obviously have to drive the car in the rain and don't want to be afraid to. What should I look out for? If I pop the hood when I get home, am I looking for something wet? Make sure some sort of drain is clear of debris?

2017 V6 Sport (U.S.)
The Following User Says Thank You to X204 For This Useful Post:
TxChristy (05-02-2018)
post #9 of 210 Old 10-16-2017
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
The best guess at this point is this is probably a design defect and can happen on a perfectly clean and brand new vehicle. But, judging by the small number of complaints, it is not something that happens every time it rains. I would only be anxious when I was driving in torrential rain.

If it happens to you, file a complaint at the link above with the NHTSA. They will open an investigation when they get enough complaints. If it is a defect, the NHTSA will require that VW comes up with a fix / recall.
post #10 of 210 Old 10-16-2017

Thanks Nicky. Should I pop my hood and make sure some drains are clear or that nothing is wet? If so, what should I look for? Assuming I'm standing at the front of the vehicle when hood is propped open.

2017 V6 Sport (U.S.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode