2017 Sport w/Tech Engine Ingested Water - Page 7 - Club Touareg Forums
 2Likes

post #61 of 204 Old 07-13-2018
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Are people experiencing this issue in both Gas and Diesel engines ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 204 Old 07-24-2018

Touareg: Still looking
Hi -

I am currently going through the same situation, except my car was in my driveway over night in a really bad rain storm. I got in the car the morning after the storm, heard a weird noise, pulled out of driveway and didn't go far when the car starting bucking, smoking, lost power and car died. Had to have car towed to service at dealership.

Spoke to service manager this morning and he accused me of driving through water and will have to pay for any damages. I said "Hell NO".

Will keep you posted!
post #63 of 204 Old 07-24-2018
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodicphoto View Post
Hi -
Another member who lost power while on the road, making this into a serious safety defect, according to the rules posted on the NHTSA recall website.

Be sure to file your problem. It is the only way the VW of NA will admit to the problem. Strange that there is a safety recall in China for this same problem, isn't it?

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 204 Old 07-24-2018

Touareg: Still looking
Thanks for your note. I submitted a complaint to nhtsa this morning. And I do believe there is a safety recall in China for this very thing. This is the second time this has happened to me. The first was in October and service said there was absolutely nothing wrong with my car and sent me on my way. We had written a note to be put in our file about how unhappy we were with service. My husband will now deal with the dealership after finding out this has been a problem with the car and hey are acting like its a new situation.
post #65 of 204 Old 07-25-2018

Garage
I recently bought a 2016 tdi treg. Living in a heavily rained area I'm now worried about this issue. For prevention, have anyone installed the 'water guard' from China's recall? Parts number seems to be 7P6 805 962 C
post #66 of 204 Old 07-27-2018

Second Vehicle: Can't afford one
Exclamation I have the same issue!

I would like to start out and thank everyone who posts on this forum! I would not have even thought to look at something like this. I'm new to the Touareg scene, but not new to VW diesels. I purchased my 2016 VW TDI LUX late last year. It sat on the dealer's lot for approx. 2 years waiting for the fix. It now has 3600 miles on the odometer, and I have the same problem with water entering into the air box.
post #67 of 204 Old 07-27-2018

I have the same issue!

Here are some images. While the filter is definitely wet, it didn't start to break down yet. Might have dodged a bullet thanks to you guys!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Filter 1.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	216969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Filter 2.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	216971  

Name:	Filter 3.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	216973   Click image for larger version

Name:	Filter 4.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	216975  

post #68 of 204 Old 07-28-2018
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
After seeing this, I decided to check mine. I had just drove about 70 miles in the rain the day before checking, and it rained in the evening.

The next day I opened mine up, and my filter was dry. I have a brand new filter by the way.

HOWEVER, There was a tiny puddle the size of a nickel in the corner at the bottom of the air box.

I cleaned out a small amount of debri in the box, and poured some water in the drain to ensure it worked (it did).

So, it seems water does get in somehow, but in my case, it didn't seem to bad.
post #69 of 204 Old 07-28-2018
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Here is a photo

Here is a photo
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180721_155229.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	346.3 KB
ID:	216979  
post #70 of 204 Old 07-28-2018

I think this is a design issue. I've been able to replicate how the water enters the air filter box, by pouring water along the rain channel on top of the passenger side headlight. The water runs down between the grill and the headlight then drips/pours right into the main air intake opening. As stated in an earlier post, there are two drains in case this happens; one in the air box and the other at the lowest portion of the gooseneck tube. In my case, the lower gooseneck drain does not allow enough water to escape. The water level in the gooseneck becomes high enough that it seeps into the air filter box. I normally take my vehicle through a touch less high pressure car wash every other week. I truly believe this is how my air filter is getting wet.

I took the saturated air filter to the dealer to show them this issue. They stated that they have never seen anything like this. They know how fastidious I am and how I treat my vehicles, so there were no questions or implications of me driving it in high water or abusing the vehicle. The dealer had no suggestions how to correct this situation, but recommended that I contact VW customer care. I then contacted VW customer care to see if they have any recommendations as to how to correct this problem. They said I needed to talk with the dealer. I feel like I'm on my own with this.

I don't want to leave it as is, because I'm only asking for problems later. I don't like the deflector contraption used in China that has been posted in this thread. Seems light a half-baked solution to me. IMO, I think there are two things to do that would minimize this issue. First, the drain at the bottom of the gooseneck takes minutes to drain the water out from the gooseneck. If you pop off the drain nipple, it will drain everything out in seconds. Night and day difference. The negative is you will not be able to plunge your vehicle through those super deep puddles. This is not an issue for me. Second, if you could redirect the water running between the headlight and the grill so it doesn’t even drain into the air intake tube. I have a couple ideas on how I would do this, but they would need to be tested first.

So, I'd just like to thank you guys again for pointing this out as I would not have checked on this until the air filter needed to be replaced (60k miles). If your vehicle sits outside in super heavy down pours or you take your car through high pressure car washes, this may happen to you. I don't think this issue is as likely when the vehicle is moving, as the air would direct the water elsewhere. I would highly recommend that you check your air filters and see if you have this issue. $25 on a new VW OEM filter, probably saved me a ton of heart ache! In the future I will be checking my air filter much more often.

Your thoughts?
promogul and saltshaker like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode