2017 Sport w/Tech Engine Ingested Water - Page 3 - Club Touareg Forums
 2Likes

post #21 of 204 Old 11-21-2017

Just to clarify, I have the 2015 3.6 FSI, not TDI. I believe this water in the air intake pertains only to the gasoline FSI motors. Air intake for the TDI is likely different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 204 Old 11-21-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk15treg View Post
Just to clarify, I have the 2015 3.6 FSI, not TDI. I believe this water in the air intake pertains only to the gasoline FSI motors. Air intake for the TDI is likely different.
no 2011+ use the same intakes and airboxes.

2012 Highline Touareg v6 TDI - 8spd - Silver - Weathertechs - Buzzken Downpipe/Dpf/Scr Pipes - Hybrid 2260 - 4 Bar Map - JR Auto Performance/Buzzken Stage 3 Tune - 31 BFG k02s - Cayenne Trans Coding - Gutted/Painted Muffler - Full Led Swap - EGR Cooler Delete
post #23 of 204 Old 11-21-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: 2007 V6
Garage
My opinion is that we have to be careful with anecdotal evidence or anything that happened to a few people. No need to be worried, check your filters like you should already perhaps after a downpour and see what we learn and report back.

However I think this thread really can be broken into two parts.

A) Water getting into an engine just setting should never happen and should be figured out, but I doubt there are too many instances of this. There must be an explanation, but it isn't that a little rain water got a filter a little wet. This is more acute than that and involves a lot of water actually entering the head via intake (most likely).

B) A damp or partially wet air filter is from either a improperly sealed air box (you can force these together with a gap at the bottom as the clamps are only at the top and the bottom tabs are tricky to get right. A crap filter that doesn't seal the box. Or a hole or opening from a secondary injection hose that fell off (they suck by the way...check their connection)....

"B" from above is more common than "A" and is also less worrisome as some water WILL enter your box during a drive in heavy rain. The drain should drain 99% of it, and the small amount that does make isn't a big deal (think fog moisture content...that doesn't all get separated somehow).

Keep clean OEM filters in your trucks. Make sure the box is assembled right. Make sure your secondary injection hose is well attached. Hopefully the few or single person out there with water draining into his sitting engine from ??? Learns how, because my curiosity is killing me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 204 Old 11-22-2017

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Other
My 17 Treg survived hurricane Harvey where we experienced over 40” of rain. My vehicle lives in the driveway with no shelter. I even drove around in the flooded streets the day after with no ill effects other than the parking sensors driving me crazy because they were underwater and constantly going off (water depth was about 2 feet in some spots). I wonder if the op’s experience is a one off event? Glad that his engine got replaced minus insurance deductible.
The Following User Says Thank You to BigEarl For This Useful Post:
tdimark69 (11-24-2017)
post #25 of 204 Old 12-07-2017

2015 Touareg V6 TDI Element - unwanted water injection

I can confirm this is a problem with my car – 2015 V6 TDI Element. A city car that hasn’t seen bush or water crossings. The cause is definitely rain and not water crossings.

1st incident (11,000km odometer):
My wife was driving the car after heavy rain and it started to perform badly and stalled about 11 months ago. The dealer found the airbox full of water, completely wet filter and the number 3 rod was bent. They claimed we must have driven through deep water so our problem. The engine rebuild was covered under insurance and cost around AUD$16k. We were out of pocket $1k for the excess and without a car for a month. The dealer convinced us we must have driven through a puddle and insurance required a story so…

2nd incident (13,000km):
The second time after rain a few months later my wife told me the car was running a bit crap again so I looked in the airbox myself and saw there was about an inch of water in there. Towed to the dealer. They had the car for two weeks and couldn’t find anything wrong, however the intake pipe leading to the airbox had water. Their explanation was the engine rebuilder mustn’t have emptied that pipe after pulling the engine…

3rd time – present day (17,000km):
About 8 months on from the first incident and a few days ago, again we had heavy rain. We were 3 hours from home and 80km from a dealer (it was the weekend anyway so the service dept was closed). The car shuddered ever so slightly on deceleration with wife and toddlers in the car. Again I checked the airbox and it had about 2 inches of water in it. We were about 5kms from the nearest town so I disconnected the airbox and drove without a filter back to our accommodation. Picked up a $30 pod filter from Autobarn and that got us home.

Obviously the airbox isn’t draining well but water shouldn’t be getting in in the first place. Also any water in the intake pipe just sits there – no drain in that pipe, or at least it doesn’t work or maybe is clogged.

Over the last few days the airbox and pipe had dried up but last night we had heaps of rain. Just sitting in the driveway, the intake pipe was full of water this morning and the airbox had a little water in it. Photos on Facey if you can find it, try a search for “Touareg water airbox”

I posted a vid on facebook and others have had the same issue, especially China. Apparently the water runs down the top of the headlight into the vertical intake pipe. If you do a search on Facey you’ll see the video and a few pics. In China they (not sure if the customers or VW) are making little brackets to divert water away from the pipe…

The car is going to the dealer on Monday so we’ll see what they say.

Needless to say I’m not happy having a rebuilt engine in my car due to what looks like a design or manufacturing problem leading to water ingestion while standing still.

All I can suggest to others with 2011+ T’s is that if you’ve had heavy rain please check your airbox for water or you might find yourself with a boat anchor and a pretty disinterested dealer.
The Following User Says Thank You to brownhornet For This Useful Post:
TxChristy (05-02-2018)
post #26 of 204 Old 12-16-2017

I finally had some time and looked into this on my 2015 FSI. I am almost 100% convinced that my water entered from the bottom of the airbox where the air filter gasket meets the bottom of the box and the cover. There are a number of things to pay attention to when replacing the filter, that if missed will cause the filter to seat improperly and allow water in. That being said, I believe the box has a bad design at the bottom. The top, front and rear of the cover are wrap-around, while the bottom, simply slides over the filter. That sliding action could cause a weak as or improperly seated filter to move, resulting in an opening for water to enter. You need to guide the filter over the drain cover at the bottom of the air box, otherwise the filter will catch and not seat properly. The bottom of the airbox cover needed to be wraparound, but it would make it very difficult to remove as there is not enough room.
A few more things - you will not get a proper install of the filter unless you unhook and remove the cover from the bottom mounting tabs. I used a Mahle brand and could see the orange gasket at the bottom until seated properly. You have to push the gasket along the airbox on all four sides to make the seal -start at the top and work your way down. The bottom will naturally fall into place, thus important to use quality filter. Just pivoting the cover is not enough to get the bottom to install properly and seal.
I looked at the air intake pipe. It is designed with a trap and has a drain plug built in. You can see it looking through the small grill Under your headlight. I removed the plug and it was caked with fine dust-no evidence of water. I needed a bit of silicone grease to slide it back on. I have not been able to find anything on the recall or bracket TSB in China. If anyone has a link, please post.
Now that I am sure the filter is properly installed, I hope like heck I don't see evidence of water the next time it rains. I will keep you posted.
post #27 of 204 Old 03-22-2018

I came here from google actually trying to find out how to change the air filter the easiest on my 2015 Trex. 🙂

However I was recently at VW because of issues with the car and they told me that there’s now a recall out for all 7P Touaregs. VW has recognized the issue in this thread and they got a fix for it. The recall code is 24D0. I live in Germany but would think that the NA region can also get this. It just came out 08/03 so it’s relatively new.
post #28 of 204 Old 03-25-2018

i decided to swap the air filter for a new one today and to my surprise, it was completely wet at the bottom, pretty much destroyed, in several pieces. It’s a miracle that no parts of the filter was sucked into the turbo.

New Mahle filter is in and I will be doing this VW aktion first thing when I’m back in Germany (800km drive). Very scary experience!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	388B8AFF-7729-4C16-AD1A-86905F7C2404_1522012248437.jpeg
Views:	404
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	210337  
post #29 of 204 Old 04-19-2018

Touareg: 2015 V6 TDI
My 2015 R line Toureg’s at the main dealer getting the turbo replaced, wet filter got sucked into the turbo. Never noticed a thing until the turbo started making an owl like noise when cold and cleared after a few miles, still accelerated as normal. 1 month out of warranty and VW only willing 70/30 split cost, not happy!🤬 I took it in to get it checked due to the turbo howling noise, I was then told there was a recall on the vehicle ECU update and air filter box drain valve replacement..... they could have sent letters out but because it’s not a safety recall they wait until they see you, which was too late for me. Mine is at North Wales Volkswagen UK, they are now aware of this issue and are absolutely fantastic, they appear to be disappointed themselves with VW UK descision on the 70/30 split since there’s a recall due to the issue. You need the dealer on your side if your car’s out of warranty, so get in touch with them if you’re having problems with yours (jo or Jack in servicing). Superb service, done everything they could for me. Every 7P owner should check their filters now, I haven’t gone through any deep water, this was down to heavy rain only.
post #30 of 204 Old 04-19-2018

Touareg: 2015 V6 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymro333 View Post
My 2015 R line Toureg’s at the main dealer getting the turbo replaced, wet filter got sucked into the turbo. Never noticed a thing until the turbo started making an owl like noise when cold and cleared after a few miles, still accelerated as normal. 1 month out of warranty and VW only willing 70/30 split cost, not happy!�� I took it in to get it checked due to the turbo howling noise, I was then told there was a recall on the vehicle ECU update and air filter box drain valve replacement..... they could have sent letters out but because it’s not a safety recall they wait until they see you, which was too late for me. Mine is at North Wales Volkswagen UK, they are now aware of this issue and are absolutely fantastic, they appear to be disappointed themselves with VW UK descision on the 70/30 split since there’s a recall due to the issue. You need the dealer on your side if your car’s out of warranty, so get in touch with them if you’re having problems with yours (jo or Jack in servicing). Superb service, done everything they could for me. Every 7P owner should check their filters now, I haven’t gone through any deep water, this was down to heavy rain only.
Forgot to mention, mine's a 2015 R-Line V6 TDI 270ps. picture of damaged turbo included, leaking oil visible on bottom of intake. Total cost to replace turbo £1800, 70/30 split means I pay £540. Not really fair, but could be worse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	turbo.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	553.2 KB
ID:	212362  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode