2017 Sport w/Tech Engine Ingested Water - Page 20 - Club Touareg Forums
 2Likes

post #191 of 205 Old 03-02-2019

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
Please post the pictures you have . I can't figure out how dirt can clog a new car. Did the dealer say anything about how to prevent this from happening? Previous threads have talked about some part to block water from the hood from dripping into the intake tube.
First time trying to upload pics, so...

1. Opened filter box and this is the first thing I saw...wet at the bottom 2-3 inches. Remember, I just got this car brand new from the dealer...delivered with only 134 miles on it. All I did was put it in my driveway.
2. Removed filter and found dirt/sand in the box. Cleaned everything out and tested by pouring some water around the drain...drained out no problem. This is the drain that has a tube hanging down from the box...the end of this tube has a screen in it.
3. Used an old t-shirt to absorb water from the inside of the inlet tube...didn't really work.
4. Stuck my hand in the tube, felt the drain plug immersed in water/sand mix. Crawled under the car, found the drain plug and pulled it out. Yuck...make sure you keep your eyes and mouth shut if you do this. Luckily, I've got fairly long arms and was already kind of off to the side when it came out. I almost got slimed pretty good. Flushed and dried the tube repeatedly until I was sure it was clean and dry. Put everything back together, except for the plug.
5. I think this is the part in question (P/N 7P6129609A). As you can see, the intake pipe is basically shaped like a p-trap under the sink. Couldn't find a separate number for just the plug.

Based on the way the plug is constructed, I agree with others that the dirt is coming in from the air inlet, not backwards through the plug from underneath the car as you drive along through dusty roads or dirty water. (I haven't confirmed whether the dirt and water is entering while driving, parked or both.)

For now, I think it will be all right to leave the plug out since I won't be driving through any deep water. I'll see if I can get VW service to show me how they would put it back. That way I can remove it for cleaning as part of regular maintenance (if necessary). I may be able to get away with just flushing it out periodically from the filter box side (as others have suggested).

BTW, the screened end of the drain tube from the air filter box drain hangs down much lower than the plug that's in the inlet tube.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190223_114438.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	473.0 KB
ID:	221465   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190223_114541.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	441.3 KB
ID:	221467  

Name:	20190223_122814.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	421.2 KB
ID:	221469   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190224_151746.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	375.9 KB
ID:	221471  

2016 Touareg TDI Exec
2005 Jetta Wagon GLS TDI-BEW
2004 Jetta Wagon GLS TDI-BEW
2004 Dodge Ram 3500, 5.9L Cummins (sold)
The Following User Says Thank You to psquared For This Useful Post:
Tregster15 (03-18-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #192 of 205 Old 03-02-2019

Hmmm...this one didn't upload for some reason.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9241240_16.png
Views:	30
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	221473  

2016 Touareg TDI Exec
post #193 of 205 Old 03-03-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Second Vehicle: too many to list
In looking at the intake tube, why would it be facing up to capture anything coming into the engine compartment? How about a straight pipe with a baffle plate to block anything coming from the front. Anyway there had to be a better engineering of that part. It is also a very difficult area to access to keep clean and it obviously needs a lot of cleaning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #194 of 205 Old 03-11-2019

Dealer wasn't able to reinstall the plug from under the car. Suggested that it might be easier to install from inside the intake pipe. Couldn't do it before, maybe find someone with smaller hands.

2016 Touareg TDI Exec
post #195 of 205 Old 03-11-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Second Vehicle: too many to list
I am going in for the first oil change Wed and will ask for the air filter to be checked as well as the drain plugs. It will be interesting to find out the results, since the car is garaged 95+% of the time. I am disappointed that so much time has gone into this issue,when VW should have intervened an fix the issue whatever it is. I will report back.
post #196 of 205 Old 03-11-2019

Second Vehicle: Still looking
I asked my dealer to check the filter in my '16 TDI when I took it in for the AdBlue recall. They said that they would be happy to do so but that I would have to pay for their time since it isn't something that VWOA would reimburse them for.

I responded that we could just wait to see whether it became a problem during the ten years of the warranty and then VW could pay to replace the entire engine.
post #197 of 205 Old 03-11-2019

I thought I read in one of these forums that checking for proper drainage might be part of the procedure for air filter replacement.

If it specifically says this, than you might have a winning case. But if it doesn't, that would be a very expensive gamble.

Does anybody have access to the actual VW procedure?

2016 Touareg TDI Exec
post #198 of 205 Old 03-17-2019

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketTech View Post
The fix is to flush the intake horn with fresh water every so often. I would suggest yearly, but it wouldn't hurt to do it with every oil change.
I'm convinced a TSB from VW stating the intake horn needs to be flushed at least yearly would correct the issue.
There's no need to remove the drain valve.

As to the Chinese fix, the only part number I've seen provided was already factory installed on my '16 TDI.
Thanks,

Can you let us know what the part number is and would you happen to know when they started installing this part ?
post #199 of 205 Old 03-18-2019

Touareg: 2016 V6 FSI
Thankful for this thread. I picked up a 16 Lux last month and sure enough when I checked today the bottom 2 inches of the filter was soaked and the foam backing had turned into a black paste which clogged the drain. Briggs & Stratton could have done better. New Mahle on the way.
post #200 of 205 Old 03-18-2019

Touareg: 2015 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
I just checked mine and discovered the same issue (see photos). I have 36k miles on the clock but I really don't know if this filter was ever changed during any previous service checkups at the dealer and therefore don't know if this is a recent problem or not.

Anyway, I'm really glad to know about this problem. I just replaced the filter and will be keeping an eye on it from here on out. I'd love to know if there is a recall/fix solution from VW as it seems to be a common problem and an obvious design flaw.

Thanks to all those who provided info and advice on this!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1151.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	221847   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1150.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	221849  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode