2017 Sport w/Tech Engine Ingested Water - Page 2 - Club Touareg Forums
 2Likes

post #11 of 205 Old 10-16-2017
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
All I can think of is to look at the air filter and make sure it is totally dry. Also look into the cabinet that holds the air filter and make sure it is 100% free of any debris.

If the air filter is wet or damp, let the dealer service department write it up as a problem. It is in VW best interest to fix the air cleaner. Replacement warranty engines are expensive, even for VW.
The Following User Says Thank You to nickyt For This Useful Post:
X204 (10-16-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 205 Old 10-16-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
I am puzzled by this design flaw, I was under the impression that all TREGs from 2011 thru the last yr are essentially the same in terms of their design. I know a different engine was used in 2013,but it was only minor,I thought. What exactly is different from my 2012 and a 2017? My car is flawless for 55K miles.
post #13 of 205 Old 10-16-2017

Touareg: 2016 V6 FSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
I am puzzled by this design flaw, I was under the impression that all TREGs from 2011 thru the last yr are essentially the same in terms of their design. I know a different engine was used in 2013,but it was only minor,I thought. What exactly is different from my 2012 and a 2017? My car is flawless for 55K miles.
Agreed. AFAIK, the VR6 in it's current state is used in this version of the Touareg from 2011 to 2017 (in U.S.). Maybe they changed something in the air intake area for emissions purposes that leaves the 2017 vulnerable? I am used to making sure cowl drains are clear but never had to make sure air cleaner hoses and housings were dry. Especially on a car that is supposed to be able to go through snow and dust, I'd hope the system is sealed.

Not sure about the cars in China though.

2017 V6 Sport (U.S.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 205 Old 11-20-2017

I have the exact same problem with my 2015 Sport. I have checked twice after rain and both times the bottom of the filter and filter housing are wet. Drain or no drain, water in the intake is wrong. Is the water coming from the air intake port? Coming up the drain tube? Splashing in the the bottom air box tabs?
The Following User Says Thank You to Tk15treg For This Useful Post:
nickyt (11-20-2017)
post #15 of 205 Old 11-20-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk15treg View Post
I have the exact same problem with my 2015 Sport. I have checked twice after rain and both times the bottom of the filter and filter housing are wet. Drain or no drain, water in the intake is wrong. Is the water coming from the air intake port? Coming up the drain tube? Splashing in the the bottom air box tabs?
I would check my 2017 to see if it's also wet, but I have no idea where to look. I make sure leaves are not stuck at the bottom of the windshield, but no idea how to see if my engine air filter or intake is wet. I searched youtube for a How To vid, but don't see anything for the 3.6 engine.

Hope VW fixes the issue for you!

2017 V6 Sport (U.S.)
post #16 of 205 Old 11-20-2017

If you want to inspect for the problem, open your air filter housing under hood. There are two metal spring clamps on the top. Unhook both and Pivot the cover away from the base. You will see the air filter inside. Lift the cover up and off of the mounting tabs at the bottom. You should be able to pull out the air filter and look inside bottom of the air filter housing. If you have had water, your filter will be hard, deformed and discolored at the bottom. You may find water in the bottom of the air box or the foam on the filter will be wet. You will also see the drain opening at the bottom.
post #17 of 205 Old 11-20-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: 2007 V6
Garage
Interesting indeed. If I read this correct, it sounds like the OP barely drove and during that drive the engine already was running poorly...seems water got in the engine just sitting there??

Theoretically water surface tension could allow the water to follow a profile of the fender (or hood underside?) down then either drip or stick to a part of the air tube and then somehow into the tube and then into the engine...but that would be a one in a billion chances that the engineers would overlook something like that (one would think).

As far as wet air filters... a car wash got the bottom of one my 08 V 8 filters wet (passengers side). Drain holes wasn't the problem, the secondary injection house connection leaked water. However the truck had to be running to do this and the water never made it to the other side of the filter as the intake tubes were both dry and clean.
post #18 of 205 Old 11-21-2017

I would agree that this occurs sitting there. My wife works 2 miles away and was parked in the rain all day when I found it wet. Since this is coming up on 2015 and newer, was the nose redesigned for 2015?
post #19 of 205 Old 11-21-2017

I tried to check the filter before it got dark, but I only got as far as unhooking both metal clips. The right side of the box (if standing in front of car) has coolant line connected to it at the front, and the big wide tube heading to firewall area has an electrical connection. Not confident enough to pry the seam open to grab the filter since it's moving those attached parts. I'm guessing you have to unhook the tubes and electric plug so you don't damage them? I will just have to hope its dry. I guess even if it's wet, what can I do? I have to drive and park in the rain, unfortunately. Disappointed that this is happening to "premium" VW products - hopefully a recall comes out as it could be a safety issue if someone stalls on the the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk15treg View Post
If you want to inspect for the problem, open your air filter housing under hood. There are two metal spring clamps on the top. Unhook both and Pivot the cover away from the base. You will see the air filter inside. Lift the cover up and off of the mounting tabs at the bottom. You should be able to pull out the air filter and look inside bottom of the air filter housing. If you have had water, your filter will be hard, deformed and discolored at the bottom. You may find water in the bottom of the air box or the foam on the filter will be wet. You will also see the drain opening at the bottom.

2017 V6 Sport (U.S.)
post #20 of 205 Old 11-21-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
im not sure this is a design flaw at all....there are tons of videos of 2011+ touaregs going threw deep water on youtube...ive done it plenty im guessing something is loose or missing allowing water in.

2012 Highline Touareg v6 TDI - 8spd - Silver - Weathertechs - Buzzken Downpipe/Dpf/Scr Pipes - Hybrid 2260 - 4 Bar Map - JR Auto Performance/Buzzken Stage 3 Tune - 31 BFG k02s - Cayenne Trans Coding - Gutted/Painted Muffler - Full Led Swap - EGR Cooler Delete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode