2007 V-6 Touareg 113k miles - bad timing chain? - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

2007 V-6 Touareg 113k miles - bad timing chain?

Hey everyone,
My cousin bought a 07 v-6 gas Touareg about 5 months ago. It quit on her while driving home one night about a month ago. Got it to a local shop where they diagnosed it with bad timing chains...and a $9k bill to fix it. So we declined and got it towed back home where it sits currently...my question is this...is it worth the work of going through it all and fixing it or should we cut our loss and just scrap the vehicle? It's in otherwise pretty decent shape. Not perfect by any means but a decent car. Attached are a few pics of it. Any advice or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190614_134350_1560720418969.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	509.5 KB
ID:	223817   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190614_134447_1560720445380.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	348.4 KB
ID:	223819  

Name:	MVIMG_20190614_134422_1560720470630.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	460.4 KB
ID:	223821   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190614_134432_1560720495151.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	485.0 KB
ID:	223823  

Name:	IMG_20190614_134516_1560720513255.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	442.3 KB
ID:	223825   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190614_134330_1560720535255.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	537.4 KB
ID:	223827  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
It all depends on what damage is done. 9K sounds like top end of high dealer prices to me. What local shop? I take it not a dealer. Is it a least a Euro shop?

Have you looked into putting an engine from a recycle yard? Have you looked to see if a re-manufactured engine is available.

I have not priced it, but I would not expect a rebuilt engine to even cost 9K. I am having a real problem with that price.

IMO, It is going to need to go to a second garage for a second opinion.

If you can be specific on what the damage is, we might be able to give a better guess.

This link is a $1066 used engine.
https://allusedparts.com/volkswagen/...SABEgJAafD_BwE
post #3 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

The shop we took it to is called World Wide Automotive Service in Bloomington, IN. They are not a dealer and they do work on mostly Euro cars. I also brought it to a friend of mine who has been a mechanic for a long time and has all kinds of Euro car certifications (VW, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, etc.) He said that there are several timing chains and they are all on the transmission side of the engine and changing them is very labor intensive. He said their quote to change the timing chains was a little high and he wasn't really interested in doing it as a side job because he works for the Army now as a mechanic and doesn't have his own shop at home to do it in.

So that's where we are now... should I try to fix it or just sell it as is to someone or scrap it to a junkyard or whatever else...

I know that I'd be capable of doing the work as I've done a few engine rebuilds, head gaskets, etc....but not on anything from Europe...So I'm not sure of any specialty tools or anything I'd need to get the job done. I'd still think that a replacement engine would be easiest but I also don't want to get in over my head and not be able to get things back together.

Thoughts and opinions??? Offers to buy?? Haha!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
At 9K, you might as well price out a replacement engine from VW.

There are some discussions on here. It is a long and involved rebuild. I would not want to do it personally. Are there any other shops to get a quote from in your area?

Replacement rebuilt engine would be my choice. Send that one back as a core.

If no rebuilt engines are available, engine from a recycle yard.
post #5 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
This engine was originally designed to be installed sideways in the engine bay as in East-West.

In the Touareg it was turned through 90 degrees but in doing so it was installed back to front as in South-North thus, as you already know, the timing chain is at the rear end of the block.

If you have small hands it is possible to change the chain without removing the engine but usually it's an engine out job which shouldn't cost more than around $2,500 to remove, do the chain and replace.

Given the $9K quote I'm wondering if there is way more damage than just replacing the chain.

If so, then as above, a used or remanufactured engine is probably the best way forward if the car''s value when it's been fixed makes it worthwhile when taking the cost of the repair into account.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
post #6 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Second Vehicle: Still looking
I'm sure the local junkyard will have some parts. You can get another car for 9k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscompto View Post
Hey everyone,
My cousin bought a 07 v-6 gas Touareg about 5 months ago. It quit on her while driving home one night about a month ago. Got it to a local shop where they diagnosed it with bad timing chains...and a $9k bill to fix it. So we declined and got it towed back home where it sits currently...my question is this...is it worth the work of going through it all and fixing it or should we cut our loss and just scrap the vehicle? It's in otherwise pretty decent shape. Not perfect by any means but a decent car. Attached are a few pics of it. Any advice or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks all!
post #7 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Get some friends and a bunch of pizza\beer..... spend a weekend and pull the engine yourselves..... the labor of pulling the motor is the killer.
Once you have it out, there will be many shops\mechanics\sources for a rebuild or repair...... then repeat step 1 and drop in back in......

You'll be surprised at how much you will learn in the process.
post #8 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
At the same time, you can probably find a more cosmetically beat up specimen with a running engine for only a few K and possibly buy it for the engine..... then either pay a mechanic to swap it over or take the pizza\beer approach........ either way, any fixing attempt will set you back more than the vehicle is worth.....

It all comes down to how much you like the vehicle, and how long you plan on keeping it..... because it will take many years of driving it to recoup the cost of fixing it now.
post #9 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Any similar job on 7K vehicle is kinda of a death sentence. It's a serious investment. You need to be emotionally involved into that vehicle or seeking the fun of working on a car (dont know how fun it will be after the first couple days...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboABA View Post
At the same time, you can probably find a more cosmetically beat up specimen with a running engine for only a few K and possibly buy it for the engine..... then either pay a mechanic to swap it over or take the pizza\beer approach........ either way, any fixing attempt will set you back more than the vehicle is worth.....

It all comes down to how much you like the vehicle, and how long you plan on keeping it..... because it will take many years of driving it to recoup the cost of fixing it now.

Looking for 2012 Touareg TDI

Over 200K kms experience on TDIs
Previously Owned:
2011 Mitsubishi Lancer 2011 Di-D Euro Version (with VW TDI 2.0 PD 6spd manual)
2015 Seat Leon TDI DSG
2002 Volkswagen Polo SDI
post #10 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Touareg: 2007 V6
Garage
Wow, I only paid 5,500 for my 2007 v6 a few weeks ago. 9k is way over priced

Yes Iím a

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode