VW Touareg Engine Light - EGR error code P040100 - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 5 Old 11-28-2017 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2011 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
VW Touareg Engine Light - EGR error code P040100

I messaged back in Feb/March regarding my engine light appearing. I brought it to my local VW mechanic and they diagnosed a $2000.00 EGR problem. I contacted the dealer I purchased the car from (3 weeks prior to the light appearing) and they said bring it in we will have a look. All they seemed to do was erase the error code and drive it around for a few hours because here I am 8 months later the light has come up again and I brought it to a second VW mechanic and they have diagnosed it with error code P040100 same EGR issue $1,460.00 AUD worth of repairs needed. I am so cranky it is pretty obvious it had this pre-existing problem when I bought the car as 3 weeks after purchase this issue comes up, show this to the dealer and they have not rectified or fixed the problem, they just keep erasing the error code because wah lah 8 months later the problem is still there....so peeved it's not funny but at least I have the proof now from two independent VW mechanics.

Touareg 2011 V6 TDI - Deisel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-28-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

How many km has your tdi?

What does $1500 get you?

Excuse my ignorance but if the error is EGR insufficient flow, all you would need is to clean out some gunk. No?

Take off your manifold and start scraping some passages to allow flow. You should be able to notice immediately where it would have restricted flow. More than likely after EGR temp sensor. I also torched my temp sensor clean. It had a few carbon marbles inside filter screen. no more error on my 2008 3.0 tdi. It happened at app 100k km.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-28-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Ps. Sounds like dealer is trying to mask/hide/postpone error to beyond warranty period.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-28-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
The EGR issue could be one of several things.
EGR Flow restricted/clogged because of carbon build up in the valve or line to the throttle body
EGR Valve stuck
Connectors to the EGR Valve are faulty.

If the light is still there I would take it back to the organisation from where you bought the Treg and get them to fix it under their statutory warranty.

Clearing the codes will not fix the problem. They should know this and, by clearing the codes, are probably stalling for time.

They should be able to check the operation of the valve while it is in the vehicle. That would rule out the electrics and the requirement to replace the valve.

That would leave carbon build up in the ERG lines.

I am basing the above on what I have observed in my 2008 V6 TDI with the BKS engine.

MY08 V6 TDI, Shadow Blue, Beige Interior, Towbar, Air Suspension, LED Load Box (not used).
post #5 of 5 Old 11-28-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

I'd like to know what % of egr flow problems were not due to clogging of air path. OP did say it went away for 8 months after error code was cleared.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in