V6 TDI Long term reliability - Club Touareg Forums
 4Likes

post #1 of 38 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

V6 TDI Long term reliability

Hello, Iím having difficulty finding the information I need using the search although Iím sure itís there. My apologies. Can any of you share with me your knowledge and experience about the long-term reliability of this most recent generation V6 3.0 L TDI motors or direct me to a post With this information? I am preparing to buy one and want to make sure that I know as much as possible about the motor since I plan to use it for towing And also plan to accrue significant mileage on it over the next several years.

Thank you!
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 1 Week Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Experiences will vary significantly.
Are you familiar with TDIs at all? Or the TDI fix & related extendes emission warranty?
post #3 of 38 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

I drove one and liked it. Then I did some very preliminary research onlinebefore deciding itís best just to reach out to the enthusiast . Thatís as much as I know so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Oh...I do know about the emissions scandal of course
post #5 of 38 Old 1 Week Ago
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Where are you in the world?

Different markets get different warranties for one thing, and you haven't said what year/model you are interested in, nor whether you are buying new or used.

More info is required.

However, in general the 3.0 Tdi is a good engine that's reasonably reliable and tows very well.

Whether the car you might buy will live up to that is a complete unknown as it would be for any car of any make anywhere!

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
post #6 of 38 Old 1 Week Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Lots covered here
https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/3-0-models/

It's important to find out both the date and milage of the "fix" being performed to determine what's left......

Many of us are very happy, others are not due to some problems\failures, etc.
There are many factors, including driving patterns, types of use, owner aptitude and comfort level as far as CELs, possible breakdowns, and dealing with VW\dealerships on warranty repairs and potential extended "loss of use" as a result of slow warranty work.
post #7 of 38 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

US Market. 2014-2016 3.0 TDI. Will purchase used with under 50,000 miles on it And driving about 25,000 miles a year with about 5000 of those tow a race car and trailer. Looking for an SUV that will do the trick with a likelihood of reaching 200,000 miles without any significant problems.
post #8 of 38 Old 1 Week Ago
Touareg Mechanic

This continent has crappy fuel quality..... you guys in the US even more than us up here.....
I'd suggest a '14 simply because you won't have ACC to deal with, which sometimes causes additional issues.
Shooting for 200k without any failures is a lot of hopes and dreams, but as long as you can tolerate some inconveniences and loss of use if you experience a covered failure (such as HPFP) during the extended warranty, you should be good. Check your TW on your tow setup as these vehicles are lacking in HW rating... they do have all sorts of grunt otherwise.
Lots of users have reported consuming high levels of DEF fluid while towing, so be prepared for it.....

It's a good idea to not be fully dependent on these TDIs. When failures occur, you may be without it for weeks, so you need access to another vehicle if you don't want to completely blow up your life when dealing with warranty.

Many of us suspect that fuel treatment additives give us an edge, but it doesn't seem to always be the answer.....
The Following User Says Thank You to TurboABA For This Useful Post:
Brian Day (1 Week Ago)
post #9 of 38 Old 6 Days Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Day View Post
Hello, Iím having difficulty finding the information I need using the search although Iím sure itís there. My apologies. Can any of you share with me your knowledge and experience about the long-term reliability of this most recent generation V6 3.0 L TDI motors or direct me to a post With this information? I am preparing to buy one and want to make sure that I know as much as possible about the motor since I plan to use it for towing And also plan to accrue significant mileage on it over the next several years.

Thank you!
Brian
I'd avoid it. I have had no issues with mine until the High pressure Fuel pump fiasco of 2019. This company will put you through some misery if it fails. Which it will. I knew this but was doing preemptive stuff to make sure it did not happen. When it finally did, I was stuck far from home and now they are stating other issues that they want me to pay for. Could be thousands of dollars. Buy another brand. The vehicle itself is great but if something serious happens it's a mess. I believe VW is trying to screw all it's loyal TDI owners which they are. I have heard other stories, I am not alone. VW is claiming now timing chain may have broke. Hmmm. 0 tolerance motor...= $$$$. Car was fantastic before the fuel pump exploded which you may or may not know is what everyone states "a ticking time bomb". Why bother this this non-sense? I'd look elsewhere. Most will talk you into it here. Biased I suppose. Be careful.

Go get a land rover or by a V10 instead or a jeep or anything else.

10' TDI
post #10 of 38 Old 5 Days Ago

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfissimo View Post
I'd avoid it. I have had no issues with mine until the High pressure Fuel pump fiasco of 2019. This company will put you through some misery if it fails. Which it will. I knew this but was doing preemptive stuff to make sure it did not happen. When it finally did, I was stuck far from home and now they are stating other issues that they want me to pay for. Could be thousands of dollars. Buy another brand. The vehicle itself is great but if something serious happens it's a mess. I believe VW is trying to screw all it's loyal TDI owners which they are. I have heard other stories, I am not alone. VW is claiming now timing chain may have broke. Hmmm. 0 tolerance motor...= $$$$. Car was fantastic before the fuel pump exploded which you may or may not know is what everyone states "a ticking time bomb". Why bother this this non-sense? I'd look elsewhere. Most will talk you into it here. Biased I suppose. Be careful.

Go get a land rover or by a V10 instead or a jeep or anything else.
You can't be calling the Touareg a ticking time bomb and then the next sentence recommend a Land Rover. LRs are notorious for being terribly unreliable. Google "Doug DeMuro Land Rover"

2014 Touareg TDI LUX
yrktreg TCM flash
AutoHold retrofit
A Few VAGCOM mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in