V6 TDI High Speed Gear Shifting Issue - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 10 Old 02-03-2019 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
V6 TDI High Speed Gear Shifting Issue

Hi guys,

I just bought a 2014 Touareg V6 TDI. What we get in India is pretty much Euro spec. Now I did read about the changes to the Treg after the fix, and I was certain it had been done to mine. The fuel consumption was way too high, the transmission didn't feel direct in 2nd and 3rd gear when giving it gas (felt like the torque converter wasn't locking), and just didn't move the way 245hp should.

Now I did get a Quantum tune done, so the power is claimed to be at 310hp. I don't know if its there, but it definitely feels a lot better than before.

What I find is really strange though, is the high speed behaviour of the transmission. I am talking at speeds about 150-170kmph (90-115mph) and above. And it was like this even before I got the tune. There is a stretch of road where I can go flat out for a couple of kilometers without any worry. And even if my foot is flat to the floor, the moment it upshifts from 5th to 6th, it then proceeds to upshift to 7th and then 8th right in the span of 2-3 seconds.

So the car loses all its steam, and I then have to release the accelerator a bit and kick down again, following which it then downshifts to 5th or 6th (depending on the speed), stays in that gear for a couple of seconds and again proceeds to do the same upshifting. And this happens in sport, and in manual too. Its really, really pissing off!

All in all the transmission keeps upshifting, downshifting, and hunting for gears when I go above 160kmph. I'm quite sure its not supposed to be like this. So that leads me to wonder whether this is in some way related to the VW 'fix'?

Is there anyone else who has noticed similar behaviour, who can offer some advice?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-03-2019 Thread Starter

Also, I did enable the Cayenne tramission thingy through VCDS, I haven't gone bad to the stock coding and tried. Is it possible that has something to do with this funny behaviour?
post #3 of 10 Old 02-03-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Second Vehicle: VW 2
I'm not sure anyone on this side of the pond will be able to provide much help.
I for one have ventured into those type of illegal (here) speeds that you've mentioned, but not for any extended periods of time. That being said, I haven't spent any significant amount of time at those speeds to know how the transmission shifting is mapped and\or behaves. Based on what you described, I can only assume that it's all in the shift maps\logic and that no one bothered to pay any attention to that upper range..... but it sure does sound like a massive oversight to have "sneak through". Hopefully there are other users on here who race their Touaregs who can provide some first hand experience and feedback. LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-03-2019

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
in 2014 I repatriated my US-spec 2012 tdi back to germany, no mechanical mods done except some unnecessary cosmetic tuev- crap...
mine never showed these problems described here, to the contrary does it run very well even at hi- speeds, 200km/h+, for prolonged time on the autobahn. no problems with shifting neither, it usually uses 8th gear and is shifting lower accordingly, depending on the situation. I noticed, that in sport mode it's more aggressively shifting into lower gears, but nothing like you're describing. evn when going uphill it can stay at 190- 200km/h easily as I very rarely get passed, it seems to have a lot of power there. on the other hand it doesn't seem to exceed 210km/h even on a straight line or downhill... probably aerodynamics are playing a role here?
post #5 of 10 Old 02-03-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothmaster123 View Post
in 2014 I repatriated my US-spec 2012 tdi back to germany, no mechanical mods done except some unnecessary cosmetic tuev- crap...
mine never showed these problems described here, to the contrary does it run very well even at hi- speeds, 200km/h+, for prolonged time on the autobahn. no problems with shifting neither, it usually uses 8th gear and is shifting lower accordingly, depending on the situation. I noticed, that in sport mode it's more aggressively shifting into lower gears, but nothing like you're describing. evn when going uphill it can stay at 190- 200km/h easily as I very rarely get passed, it seems to have a lot of power there. on the other hand it doesn't seem to exceed 210km/h even on a straight line or downhill... probably aerodynamics are playing a role here?
Was yours updated with the so called 'fix'? So the thing is, acceleration really stagnates after 160-170 simply because the car keeps shifting up, and then I have to kick down, and then keep repeating the process. It truly is very strange. I have never experienced anything like this with any other vehicle. So if I'm going flat out, normally it would hold the gear till a high rpm and then upshift.

I'm going to be doing a fluid change soon, doubt that will help though.

I think I will remove the cayenne trans coding, and try it out and see if this still happens.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-03-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Second Vehicle: VW 2
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothmaster123 View Post
on the other hand it doesn't seem to exceed 210km/h even on a straight line or downhill... probably aerodynamics are playing a role here?
Typically, un-modified vehicles would have a speed limiter right around that area in NA. I would suspect that it's the ECU nanny telling you "that's enough".
post #7 of 10 Old 02-04-2019

no, it didn't get any fix, and I am trying to avoid it...
post #8 of 10 Old 02-04-2019

you might be right! at 210km/h- which is fast enough for me anyway- it seems to run against a wall - highly exaggerated, but it definitely doesn't go any faster regardless how steep the autobahn is going downhill...
post #9 of 10 Old 02-04-2019

Hi,
Many touareg owners complaint about the so called "fix" at myTreg forum and how badly the tranny behaves afterwards.
Someone has even tried to swap the TCM with a pre-fix unit trying to improve things.

Gabriel
post #10 of 10 Old 02-04-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
These experiences with the tranny must have to do with spirited driving. I only have issues when the engine is in warm up phase and tranny holds the gears longer than necessary for pollution control reasons.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode