V6 TDI Battery life - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 39 Old 10-24-2017 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
V6 TDI Battery life

Those of you with V6 TDIs.. how long are your main starting batteries lasting? Also do you live somewhere with harsh winters?

Realized mine is the original 2013 unit and with how difficult it seems to change, I was considering doing it preemptively. Not exactly something you can easily do in a parking lot with only a ratchet and two sockets like my Jetta was.

Thanks for any info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 10-25-2017

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Good question and welcome to the site, was thinking the same as we have a new to us '12 with now 127,000 Kms on it and former owners lived in cooler climate then we currently do. Was thinking of replacing with an AGM type battery and source one as large would fit. We occasionally have cooler temps down to -25 and once in a while to -40 C and with no block heater it's gotta be hard on the battery. Might put a heater wrap on the battery too and oil pan heater we'll see what others have done.

j

New to us 2012 Touareg TDi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Malone and Rawtek gear.
2015 VW Jetta TDi CL Sport MT (Sold Back to VW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Old Body style 7.3 Powerstrokes
Looking and learning about Touaregs
post #3 of 39 Old 10-25-2017

Touareg: 2008 V6 TDI
My T2 08 V6 TDI's battery lost it enthusiasm in 2016 . (120k kms) On the strength of that lifespan I replaced with a OEM battery from VW. No harsh winters for me though, I live in the sub tropics in QLD Au...but regardless I thought it was pretty good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 10-25-2017
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Only the V10 has two batteries as standard, the rear one being the starting battery. Some 3.0 Tdis in certain cold climate markets could have two batteries specified from new.

Changing the battery is actually not that hard at all and can be done in the car park in 15 minutes as long as you have the correct tool to undo the two floor bolts that allow the front seat to tip backwards!

Most owners get 6 years and more out of their OEM battery.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
post #5 of 39 Old 10-25-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
My car is not old enough to need a battery, but I can report that the stock battery is adequate for any sort of cold weather that you might experience.
post #6 of 39 Old 10-25-2017 Thread Starter

I don't think the later model years are nearly as easy to change.. I had to remove all four seat bolts as I didn't see any way for it to hinge backward, and even with the seat out of the way the clip-on cover was very restrained by the carpet, even after cutting the tabs.

Just getting one of the rear bolts out required modifying a tool.. my stubby triple square bits were too long so I had to cut another triple square driver down and turn it with a wrench.

Still working on getting elsawin running so I can see the factory procedure and notes.

Either way.. sounds like I don't have to worry about it this winter. Maybe next year.
post #7 of 39 Old 10-25-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V6 FSI
FWIW I was just reading this post and thought it might also be a good idea to replace original battery in our 11 VR6 Touareg and found detailed battery replacement instructions at the Interstate website
https://www.interstatebatteries.com/...mplex-installs
Scroll down to letter V on left side and then click "+" on right side
The Following User Says Thank You to VWBob For This Useful Post:
Toiler (10-25-2017)
post #8 of 39 Old 10-25-2017 Thread Starter

Good tech, thanks.

One small note though, they show it being needed to cut the carpet to pull the seat electrical harness through.. that wasn't necessary. The connectors are easy to unhook.

Also it does mention removing the rear AC duct.. I removed the screw but couldn't figure out how to get it out. I know stuff like that usually has detents and enough pulling will often pop them loose but I was pulling harder than I felt comfortable.

Curiosity may get the better of me and I'll likely figure it out.. will try to take some pics/video
post #9 of 39 Old 11-04-2017 Thread Starter

Turns out the interstate procedure is just a copy of the factory service manual one. If I get back in there I'll take some pictures
post #10 of 39 Old 12-06-2018

Touareg: 2015 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
2015 TDI Battery Replaced

Just did the battery in our '15 Touareg TDI - seemed to turn a bit slower in some of the cold temps we've been having, so never want to be caught without perfect starting. The Midstate Battery guide for 2012-2014 T-regs worked fine - just don't need to worry about the writing down of security codes, battery info into data bus etc. Only item that was lost with battery out for a day was the current trip mileage - it reset to zero. As for hard to get at bolts/special tools, if you slide the seat forward and raise it as far as it will go, a standard ratchet and I believe 12pt torx works easily. Then slide it all the way back, remove the covers on the front of the tracks to expose the front bolts and easily remove them. Slide the seat back about 4" without even unhooking the wires to the seat. I did have to make a single 1/2" cut to allow the carpet to slide around the seat electric cable, then all other steps in the procedure are relatively easy. Battery is heavy and have to put it on a decent angle if you leave the seat there/connected, but was able to do it and won't worry about it for the next 4 years. This '15 was built in late '14, so it's 4 years old and has 106,000 on it. Will plan on doing it in 4 years, around 200K. Peace of mind. Here's the link to the Midstate Battery guide: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...AKppcu-WeuB1LF

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode