V10 TDI Camshaft and Lifter Replacement - Club Touareg Forums
 3Likes

post #1 of 27 Old 11-28-2018 Thread Starter

V10 TDI Camshaft and Lifter Replacement

Hey everyone new to the forums. Just thought I would share my experience with everyone. Purchased my 06' Touareg earlier this year at 133k miles. Put about 25k on it this year as it is my daily i use offroad for work everyday. Recently had a hydraulic lifter fail due to wear along with the camshaft on the driver side cylinder bank. Found a VW diesel repair mechanic in the middle of nowhere in southeastern Ohio who owns 2 V10's. He was able to swap out the camshaft and lifters without pulling the motor so it is possible to do if anyone on here still believes otherwise, although I don't think I would be mechanically inclined enough to get involved in that mess personally lol. You can see once he got the old lifters out the one had a hole worn in the top of it and leaked out all the hydraulic fluid. He was able to replace it in a day (once parts arrived) at pretty reasonable price. Thankfully I was able to find a 3rd party warranty company naive enough to insure one of these when I bought it knowing how costly repairs can be for this beast. Still $3700 bucks for parts and labor cut in half due to the warranty is the deal of a century considering your local Volkswagen retailer charges about $5000 just in labor to pull the engine (parts not included). If anyone stateside in the region would like this mechanics contact info I would be glad to help out he knows these cars inside and out. Now she's back in the mud everyday loving life 😁
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	63264_1543426427599.jpeg
Views:	160
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	219451   Click image for larger version

Name:	63268_1543426438738.jpeg
Views:	191
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	219453  

Click image for larger version

Name:	63265_1543426449782.jpeg
Views:	178
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	219455   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180809_163129_537_1543426758647.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	317.2 KB
ID:	219459  

nickyt and GTekW8 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 11-29-2018
Touareg Mechanic

Thank you for posting this, especially the photos.
My V10 is at 122k so Iím nervous about cams. How did you know it was time? Did the hole in the lifter cause a CEL? Or did it stop running?

2006 V10 TDI Reflex Silver/Anthracite w/Monster Mats, Cargo Shell, Nokian WRG2's, Telestart T91 and VCDS
post #3 of 27 Old 11-29-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgibson View Post
Thank you for posting this, especially the photos.
My V10 is at 122k so I’m nervous about cams. How did you know it was time? Did the hole in the lifter cause a CEL? Or did it stop running?
I first noticed an "soft thumping" noise is the best way i can describe it. As it got worse you could put your hand on the charge pipe and feel a positive pressure in the intake. Which I suspect as my exhaust valve not opening long enough to allow spent gases to escape and when the intake valve opening those gases forcing their way back into the intake. If an intake lifter would go first I'm pretty confident it would not have the same issues. I would suspect you would get a misfire in that cylinder due to a poor air/fuel mix which I'm sure would throw a CEL although I'm not 100% on that. Mine actually never did it just got so bad to the point where the diesel light came on and the car went into limp mode, and I was able to limp it to the shop about 30 miles away. Either way its not something that will sneak up on you there will be multiple signs before it really affects drivability. Even with mine making that horrible thumping noise I never really noticed a lack of power. I would say at idle I could feel it wasn't running right but once I got out on the road it drove fine, but I learned my lessons not to wait till it breaks lol. I already ordered 10 new lifters and a camshaft for cylinders 1-5 on standby because I'm sure that side is not far behind. I have a video on my phone of the sound it was making ill try to find somewhere to post it and link it to you so you can see what I'm talking about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 11-30-2018
Touareg Mechanic

Excellent! Iíve been asking, unsuccessfully, for symptoms for awhile now.

2006 V10 TDI Reflex Silver/Anthracite w/Monster Mats, Cargo Shell, Nokian WRG2's, Telestart T91 and VCDS
post #5 of 27 Old 02-03-2019

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
I'd be interested in your mechanics name as I can't get anybody locally to work on camshafts without the added cost of dropping the engine.
post #6 of 27 Old 02-03-2019 Thread Starter

name is Levi Weaver. They recently changed their shop name to Elite Tire & Auto, it was Weaver Tire & Auto. They are located in Lore City Ohio. Number is 17406853800. Just a heads up though the one i had done was the driver side cylinder head and he was able to do it in the car. I just had to go back in last week because i had a lifter fail on the other side and he wasnt sure he could do that side with it in the car so we decided to pull it this time, but i have a slew of oil leaks i need to get fixed on the backside of the block so i was on board to pull it this time. He said he can drop it in 6-8 hours so if you want both sides done its going to be way more cost effective to just drop it because you can change both sides once its dropped in probably 2 hours. It took him about 12 hours to do it with it in the car. So the laber cost is negligible if you are gonna do both sides.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mitch_moho For This Useful Post:
Togwotee (02-03-2019)
post #7 of 27 Old 03-29-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Well this info. just saved my proverbial "Arse" just yesterday the cam and/or lifter gave up, so now am sending the car from AL to OH. It is going to be still cheaper this way as compared to giving to any dealer. In any event, i wanted to ask you guys if I have to lock the suspension when I ship the SUV or can I leave it in the mode it is currently. The reason I ask is because my 1969 Mercedes specifically asks to lock the suspension to avoid air running out and the car then sitting on collapsed air bags.

My baby: 1969 300SEL 6.3
post #8 of 27 Old 03-29-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
You can't tow a Touareg with any wheels up any distance or at any decent speed, so it will have to be moved on flatbed or car transport.

In that case, you would leave it in regular mode. The "lock" feature of for when a wheel is going to be not touching the ground.
The Following User Says Thank You to nickyt For This Useful Post:
TouaregNut (03-29-2019)
post #9 of 27 Old 03-30-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Something very interesting I noted just prior to the cam and/or lifter giving up. I get the oil analyzed after every change, so this time around the iron content, which for the past 4 years has been in the 110 - 120 range just dropped off to 91. So I am thinking what ever was making that iron finally ran out of its supply. So, I guess the lobe or the lifter finally stopped rubbing due to the wear and hence no iron. What do you guys think?

post #10 of 27 Old 04-04-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

So my Teg is on it's way to Elite Tire and Auto Service. Man it is a pain to get a shipping company with half decent charge.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode