V10 oil cooler o-ring leaking - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 22 Old 03-13-2018 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
V10 oil cooler o-ring leaking

I suspect I have a leak in one or more of the o-rings on the oil cooler/oil filler neck. There is oil in the "vee" or "valley" of the engine which drips down the front left and right just depending on how the vehicle is parked. Not a major leak yet but its starting to make a mess. I bought the gasket kit to repair it but it is pretty crowded in that area and I dont want to just start tearing things apart till I get down to it. I know from other posts that people have done this repair but there was no mention on the process or difficulty. Any insight would be great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-14-2018

Touareg: 2007 V10 TDI
I just ordered the o-ring and the kit that comes with 3 different o-ring/gaskets because my 07 is leaking. I did a soft search to see if anyone had posted pictures or steps but did not see anything. I plan on tackling my either tomorrow or this weekend depending on the weather. If I do it tomorrow I can let you know what plays out.
The Following User Says Thank You to middleton61 For This Useful Post:
Togwotee (11-04-2018)
post #3 of 22 Old 03-14-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleton61 View Post
I just ordered the o-ring and the kit that comes with 3 different o-ring/gaskets because my 07 is leaking. I did a soft search to see if anyone had posted pictures or steps but did not see anything. I plan on tackling my either tomorrow or this weekend depending on the weather. If I do it tomorrow I can let you know what plays out.
That would be great. Yes I also have the kit with the 3 o-rings. One is for the filler neck and the other 2 are for the oil cooler. Please either update this thread or PM me with how your job goes. The cooler is pretty deep in the valley of the engine and there really isn't alot of room. I would really like to hear about you experience. Thanks for your response
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 03-14-2018

Will do.
post #5 of 22 Old 03-15-2018

I'm not going to lie about how terrible this repair is going to be. So far I have the oil filter housing off and one of the bolts broke (back drivers side) and the bolt that attaches to the fill port is a spline, not hex - if faces the firewall so you cant really see much.

I think it's going to rain sideways tomorrow so it will probably be this weekend before I'm able to resume the job. It looks like both intakes have to come off and the thermostat housing to remove the cooler to change the gaskets on the back side. I'm not entirely sure that it needs all of this tho...
post #6 of 22 Old 03-15-2018 Thread Starter

Sorry to here that it isn't going well. I figured there would be some significant tear down to get at that cooler but the posts where people talked about it made it seem like no big deal. Anyways hope you get it all sorted and if you can please keep me informed. Thanks again
post #7 of 22 Old 03-20-2018

Not too bad of a job, considering you dont have to remove the engine for this one, lol. Yes both intakes (might wanna do the propane torch/compressed air cleaning on them), fuel rails, various electrical connections, thermostat and some coolant hoses. VW does sell a oil cooler gasket kit and iíve got the part numbers for the fuel rail o-rings if you need them. Have fun!
post #8 of 22 Old 04-02-2018

I just replaced the gaskets and knocked out the right tandem pump since I had everything in the center apart. This is a heavy job (by that I mean absolutely terrible) and I plan on coming back around to add some details that will make it easier for others to do it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5975 2.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	711.6 KB
ID:	211089   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5976.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	601.6 KB
ID:	211097  

post #9 of 22 Old 04-02-2018

Since it has to be lifted up you better drain enough coolant and suck out the rest from the cooler so you don't get coolant in the oil. Also, clean the bottom of the cooler and gasket before the reinstall. I had to remove the intakes, fuel rails, and the alternator to get to the cooler. I have a diagram from the dealership that I'll upload later.
post #10 of 22 Old 04-02-2018 Thread Starter

Thanks for the update. I started to tackle the job myself and agree that it is very involved. I ended up pulling the egr cooler assembly out which is not going back in. I made some blanking plates to cover the ports on the exhaust tubes and the egr valves. I have a malone tune which has already deleted the egr anyways so I might as well remove that monstrosity for good. I then removed the intake manifolds, only one fuel rail, thermostat housing and finally the oil cooler assembly. It was a tight fit to wiggle it out with only one fuel rail off but I wanted to disturb the fewest amount of parts. Mine has 275,000kms so everything that get removed is pretty crusty To that affect the left side glowplug harness was so crutsy it basically turned to dust when I tried to pull the plugs off. I didnt have to do anything with the alternator as it wasnt in the way but the small harness on the back of it was chaffed badly so its getting replaced. I really should have drained down the coolant better before I pulled the oil cooler assembly off as im sure some made its way into the oil. The truck is due for a oil change anyways so ill just drain it out and start fresh but for those not wanted to do an oil change that is good advice to drain it down first. My parts list is as follows.

Oil Cooler gasket repair kit - 07Z198389
Oil Filter - 07Z115562
Oil Cooler assembly Base Gasket - 07Z115441E
Intake Manifold Gaskets - ?? cant remember
Oil filter housing Seal - 07Z115444
Glowplug Harness Connectors - 07Z971782 x 5 (much cheaper to buy 5 of them @$21 each vs the entire harness @$200)
Alternator Harness - 07Z971767D
Thermostat housing O-rings (large) - ? cant remember
Thermostat housing O-ring (small) - Not in catalogue but dealer found them (small ones are the same as fuel rail o-rings)
Fuel rail o-rings - Not in catalogue but dealer found them (upper and lower are different)

Im glad I went ahead and did the job, when I was cleaning the EGR valve and intake manifolds I found a flaw in the casting on one of the EGR valves. There was a large hole which was allowing boost pressure to short circuit into the exhaust. I didnt take a picture but it has certainly been an issue since the car was new. Blanking pate has now solved it permanently. Still waiting for some of the parts to arrive so it hasnt gone back together but its should go oretty quickly and the waiting has given me time to clean and inspect everything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode